Duetto striplight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Duetto striplight

Post by Dynamic on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

The striplight went in the loo & when I removed the cover I found there were 2 tubes although the fitting would appear to take 3. I have bought 2 new tubes but the light still does not work!  (Didn't realise about there being space for 3 tubes until I was back home).  (1) Should  there be 3 tubes? (2) Is there a starter that needs replacing?  I cannot see anything. (3)  Could it be the light fitting itself that has gone?       I wondered if the previous owner had removed a tube due to a problem?     
 It is only the third time I have used the camper since buying it in June so I am still a novice hence the silly questions.
The other 3 striplights in the camper are working OK still.
Any advice will be greatfully received.

Ps Do all the light strip and 'spotlights' work off 12V?
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Duetto striplight

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Normally these fittings do only have two tubes despite holding three so that's unlikely to be the problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 pm

It sounds like you have LabCraft trilight fluorescent fittings. These are designed to be capable of running three tubes, but AFAIK the ones used by A/S only ever have two tubes fitted.

There are several possible reasons for the failure - the easiest to check being: is there 12 Volts or thereabouts supply to it when the habitation power is on? If not, then a tripped fuse may be the cause (or it may be more complicated than that!).

If there is 12V power at the input to the light fitting, the fitting is faulty - it may be that both tubes have failed, but it's more likely that the inverter circuit (in the panel behind the switch) has failed.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 pm

All of the fluorescent striplight fittings in our Pollensa have space for three tubes but only had two fitted.  Three would probably have been too bright. 
In fact, when I replaced the fluorescent tubes with LEDs, whilst removing the starter/transformer* I also modified the wiring and changed the rocker switch to a three position one so I could have one, two or no strips lit.

As far as I recall, there was no replaceable starter on those, I do recall some years ago one of them stopped working and on disassembly I found the circuit board showed the typical black mark signs of the smoke having escaped. At that time I was able to track down a replacement board but don't ask me where from. 

All the strips and spots on mine work off 12V

And the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask! We've all had to start as novices, that's why this forum is so good because it allows contributors of different levels of experience to share knowledge, so never hesitate to ask anything that you're not sure about.

* I gather that replacement LED tubes are now available which don't require the starter circuitry to be removed or bypassed - not sure if/how that still saves energy use?

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Many thanks for the advice.  I will find out how to check if there is power to the fitting and investigate.
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:40 pm

rogerblack wrote:
* I gather that replacement LED tubes are now available which don't require the starter circuitry to be removed or bypassed - not sure if/how that still saves energy use?

cheers
Roger
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202052231299

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Many thanks for the link. Purchased,  as it would be as well to change to LED to save on power!
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:08 am

Hi wave
-mojo- wrote:If there is 12V power at the input to the light fitting, the fitting is faulty - it may be that both tubes have failed, but it's more likely that the inverter circuit (in the panel behind the switch) has failed.
I agree it's probably the inverter, otherwise (from the comment below) we have to believe that both old tubes failed and both new tubes are faulty.
Dynamic wrote:I have bought 2 new tubes but the light still does not work!
rogerblack wrote:* I gather that replacement LED tubes are now available which don't require the starter circuitry to be removed or bypassed - not sure if/how that still saves energy use?
You still save power but not quite as much as having a 12V LED tube. The inverter doesn't take  much energy compared to the tube, and then there has to be some sort of power supply built into the tube to enable it to run from the output of the inverter so that needs to be taken into account as well.
Dynamic wrote:Many thanks for the link. Purchased,  as it would be as well to change to LED to save on power!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if it is the inverter that's failed you will probably still need a new fitting to drive the tubes.  shrugg

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can still use standard 12V LED tubes and bypass the inverter.

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 62
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Never used a soldering iron!  I suspect I will have to ask a handy friend or neighbour for help.  I do try to be independent but replacing the fitting or bypassing the inverter are beyond me!

Again, many thanks for all the help everyone is offering.  

Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: