Large damp repair - Renault Trafic Rapport

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Large damp repair - Renault Trafic Rapport

Post by ptate on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 am

Schutz was great for covering up bad jobs and rot....... So was the old style underseal, that hardened and left a "fake" front on underbody sections. 

I found the best way to test, was just give the section a squeeze in your hands and if it made a "crunch" noise, leave well alone and go find another vehicle...!!!

Once went to look at a Transit campervan, before this, and it was superb - looked great. Slid underneath and grabbed the newly undersealed sills, squeezed and one of the internal sections popped through - that was from a dealer too....!!!! It was a rotfest - tinworm everywhere underneath....

Might try the zinc and seam sealer too as that could be a great way of ensuring longevity.... Cheers Kaspian  up!

Anyway, got 10 minutes of "dry" , so removed the bumper end cap (other side) and used a wire brush on the drill to get rid of the paint on the rear gutter - another bit of welding needed on the lower quarter again censored!  

Gutter isn't too bad overall, may just be able to weld that and then fill/seal the side - blue is the rust killer.

Hoping I can get a couple of days dry and free, just to sort it out, then onto the floor/cabinets - at last...!!!

Peace  winks allthumbz hugegrins
ptate

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport 1100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ptate on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Bit of work done today, but busy - so not too much.

Got a small piece welded into the front of the upper gutter, not pretty, but very solid. Filled all the gutters around the back with new Flexifil fillers, so no more leaks for a Looooooonnnnggg time..

Started to clean up, treat and weld the new piece to the bottom of the rear quarted. Seal fits lovely and tight as it should, plus there was only a small piece the needed welding internally (so no cabinet removal.....Phew...!!).

This is what I cleared out of the hole.....!!!!!!!!!!

And here is the hole with a load of rust treatment in it...... Just a small amount of work.... hugegrins

My Dad is feeling very crap at the moment and this thread is a good way of keeping him updated and chatting about the van while the chemo works on making him better.....

Many thanks for looking and peace.
ptate

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ptate on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Next step in the rain today.......got soaked, but managed to keep the welder and grinder out of the water.....!!

Completely rebuilt the inner and outer wheelarch and rear corner. Just needs the welds grinding a bit, then filling and painting when dry.

Absolutely chucked it down a couple of times, so emergency dash to the garage until it stopped, then out again....

Caked in rust killer, then left....

Here's the channel now......

Peace...
ptate

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Glad to see it is not just me who is mad lying under vehicles up to the neck in rust , paint , filler dust etc and rolling around in puddles!  No wonder I can feel onset of rheumatic pains !
         Shaping up nicely Plate, keep up the good work. The more you do the better and easier it is to fashion the repair plates required to a good fit ,as said before, mig welding requires it. When complete hire or get yourself a small compressor and a paraffin wash gun .Fill with waxoyl fluid thinned with 10% white spirit and blast into all the box sections and sills with at least 50 psi. You dont need massive capacity or cfm as it is not running continuous like a da sander would.
           Doors can be injected  inside and will hold back corrosion for years to come. Available in black as well as clear so looks good when the whole underside is given a coat and never hardens so no chance of cracking.Just dont spray waxoyl underneath in good weather then park ouside your best friends house returning a few hours later to see a black slick surrounding the car on the nice monoblock ( dont ask me how I know this) hugegrins

kaspian

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I use a shutz gun for waxoyl, it came with a flexible extension for box sections etc.. and they're cheap enough on ebay.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi Frank   I bought one a couple of months ago but it fits schutz cartridges only not the Waxoyl cylindrical containers. I tend to buy by the gallon as it is cheaper and decant into smaller container.   Was a nightmare to bodge a container to fit and no I hate schutz so much I was not going to buy a can just to get the container! Also the hose was just larger than door drain holes so could not be used on doors etc unless new holes drilled for access. Defeated the purpose really but perhaps a different make?
         .With the paraffin wash gun the wax is atomised into a heavy mist and if injected at the rear of a Boxer sill can be seen as a heavy mist pouring from the front behind the wheel .Fan spray and quantity is also adjustable.  I  just remove the rubber bungs along the boxer sills and inject via each one in turn. Most starter kits contain tyre inflator basic spraygun and a paraffin wash gun for around 15 quid. Mind you, Still got the original jumbo trigger spray gun by Finnigans for waxoyl and fingers still stiff from pumping wax into my Capri 1600 gtxlr  in a losing battle to stop it dissolving in the late 70S!

kaspian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 pm

kaspian wrote:Hi Frank   I bought one a couple of months ago but it fits schutz cartridges only not the Waxoyl cylindrical containers. I tend to buy by the gallon as it is cheaper and decant into smaller container.   Was a nightmare to bodge a container to fit and no I hate schutz so much I was not going to buy a can just to get the container! Also the hose was just larger than door drain holes so could not be used on doors etc unless new holes drilled for access. Defeated the purpose really but perhaps a different make?
They fit mine:

Sorry about the lazy image, its the right way up on the computer confused3 I bought that container just to fit the gun, like you, I prefer to buy it by the gallon.
I bought a gallon last week - £30! I don't dilute it just blast it through at about 80 psi, there's an adjusting knob on the gun to knock the pressure down a bit. Agree about the flexy being a bit thick but I haven't done the doors - I brushed them with on the inside with waxoyl before I bought the compressor.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 am

That explains it , my waxoyl cans have an internal threqd that the jumbo sprayer screws down into . I will buy one like yours for future use, thanks for the photo. Saying that the wash gun with long nozzle still means you are are a good bit farther from the end avoiding some of the Brylcreqm look to your hair afterwards Blimey £30 a gallon , local paint shop were charging £21 lastbtime I bought.

kaspian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ptate on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 am

Cheers Gents - Long way from Waxoyl yet as I'm busy going around the van, welding and filling bits. Got that many holes in my skin from weld burn that I'm more like a colander now.....

The reason there's been no update, is just due to my Dad being rushed into A&E with complications from the chemo - Not a good time, but he's back home now.

Just bought a breathable weatherproof cover for the van to stop any more significant water penetration - BUT, then good news is that the gutter fixes have worked well, so she's not leaking any more....!!!!!!!!!!  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

Take care and more pics soon...
ptate

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 am

@Kaspian - my local shop does two types, one is by Carplan [?] at £21 and the other is the original Hammerite at £35. The Carplan one feels a bit thin if you slosh the tin around whereas the original feels much thicker - less solvent? I told him that I though £35 was a bit too much, he disappeared into the back of the shop, came back back and said he could let me have it for £30. Know what you mean about the brylcreme hugegrins

@Pete - Its very worrying when the chemo has bad effects, glad he's back home again OK. Look after him.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ptate on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Well, got on with it today and here's what happened...........RAIN.........But still didn't stop me welding (Idiot...!!! I hear you shout.....)

Got the lower rear passenger back together:

Here's the rear inner wheelarch rebuild - I could have filled and shaped the outer edge, but the welds are complete, solid and it only really needed some of the waxoyl based underseal spraying over it.

I have also welded and filled the front, drivers side gutter, which included a hole in the A-pillar under it. Here is the passenger side, yet to be done.... The fillers were put on by a family member trying to help. Lucky I stopped them.

And finally, the welded-up and filled rear gutted section on the passenger side.

None are really perfect, but they can hardly be seen and the weather has been horrendous - Plus, it's been hard finding time with a young family and associated grandparents. It would be hard enough without worrying about my Dad too........ Ah well...!

Peace. up! wave up!
ptate

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi Plate excellent progress, especially with the weather and your dad not feeling too good at present. He comes first. Look after him. You have done well up to now getting a coat of paint on the  completed  repairs.
         Painting ouside should really be postponed till next year with the coming of warmer drier weather .  You could always go mad then and paint the whole van if spot repairs show , using a faster thinner with your celly to help drying in outside conditions.  Main thing is it is now watertight and unlikely to deteriorate further than if you had left it over winter. 
     Luckily managed to get one wheel arch completed last week on the Merc and hope to cut and polish the other this weekend weather permitting. Take care.... up!

kaspian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum