Brake pedal juddder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brake pedal juddder

Post by johnboy330 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi just been reading posts on this subject and wish to ask if anyone has had this problem but only now and again as my 53 plate duetto has just started this worrying problem. Most of the time it brakes normally but occasionally you hit the brakes and the pedal Judders but it does stop. Only owned it a few months and it has a full service history and has 41000 miles on the clock. Any ideas as I think I may book it in for a brake check even though it was serviced on purchase
johnboy330

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : duetto
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brake pedal juddder

Post by Alf on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:35 pm

johnboy330 wrote:Hi just been reading posts on this subject and wish to ask if anyone has had this problem but only now and again as my 53 plate duetto has just started this worrying problem. Most of the time it brakes normally but occasionally you hit the brakes and the pedal Judders but it does stop. Only owned it a few months and it has a full service history and has 41000 miles on the clock. Any ideas as I think I may book it in for a brake check even though it was serviced on purchase
Sounds as if you need the brake fluid changed is there any note of it being changed in the service record.

Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by johnboy330 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks - nothing mentioned by garage but I will Investigate this
johnboy330

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : duetto
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

I had brake judder on my van last year. New front discs needed. Not as expensive as I thought, in fact they were only slightly more than a set of genuine pads, which I also fitted.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

Original Transits suffered brake judder which was usually down to the rear brake drums not being adequately secured to the rear hubs. Two countersunk set screws if I remember correctly.

Not sure if this is relevant on your model though.

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 am

Had judder on my Lexus. Caused by the toothed ring on the drive shaft - which the ABS sensors measure to detect slippage - had cracked and were loose. My wonderful independent mechanic had a new toothed ring manufactured, and fitted it. Lexus only sell the ring with complete half-shaft assembly (which costs hundreds).

So it could be the ABS tothed ring.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 pm

In the spring of each year when I first take out our Harmony after a winter of being essentially 'laid-up', the front discs are pretty rusty and, for the first trip or so, the brakes judder on application: this can be felt through the pedal. However by the second/third trip of the season, the rust generally goes and the brake pedal feels normal thereafter. If the vehicle is subject to not a lot of use then you may have this issue.

Other causes include brake disc wear/degradation. I recently serviced a friend's Jag X-Type and the rear face of both front discs were in a shocking state: whole segments of the surface were missing or dropping-off. New discs and pads improved matters immediately.

One final issue could be distortion/warping of the disc due to wear, age or perhaps giving them a hard time.

HTH?

Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Boxer Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am

peugeotboxer wrote:Original Transits suffered brake judder which was usually down to the rear brake drums not being adequately secured to the rear hubs. Two countersunk set screws if I remember correctly.

Not sure if this is relevant on your model though.

PB
That is how most if not all rear brake drums are fitted. the centre of the drum mounting is the important bit that sits on a shoulder of the hub or drive shaft (depending on the type of axle) and is a tight fit. Even a bit of dirt or rust may throw this off centre. Plus you would have noticed 4 or 5 big wheel bolts or nuts holding the drum on. These, along with a retaining screw/bolt or two are not a tight fit as they don't need to centre the drum on the hub. After having said all that it is probably a warped disc or oval drum on the back which can be caused by a long (time) application of the hand/brake. As someone has said probably new front discs and pads will cure judder. The front brakes do most of the work and do tend to get a little warm which in turn can warp them, hence causing the pads to move the caliper pistons a small amount which in turn will move the brake pedal which adds more heat to the disc which taken to the extreme results in brake fade or even failure. Nothing to do with the hand/brake but thought it worth a mention. Hope that helps.
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum