Waving at other "vintage AS" owners....!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Waving at other "vintage AS" owners....!!

Post by ptate on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am

We've just used the old gal to travel to Cornwall, mooch about for two weeks and travel back. She did a great job, with just a couple of minor headaches (binding brakes, gearshift shaft loosening and dodgy engine fan switch - all fixed relatively quickly and easily on site).

Whilst flying around this most beautiful part of the UK, we saw a couple of other old AS owners who enthusiastically waved at the van (it wasn't on fire or anything like that..... hugegrins). One was a Transit based conversion and the other was a Renault Trafic model.

I didn't realise that I needed to wave to other old AS owners.  scratch head   Absolutely no problem with it, as I think it's a very friendly approach and shows the level of understanding needed in being able to keep them on the road.

Anyone else come across it?

Peace. wave
ptate

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport 1100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Waving at other "vintage AS" owners....!!

Post by Gromit on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am

Motorhomers frequently wave to other motorhomers irrespective of what van they drive - except in the case of small conversions like yours!!

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about just that. I think the tentative conclusion was that small conversions tend not to wave at other motorhomes, and those in coachbuilts etc. give up waving to them after a while when they don't get a wave back. It may be that you have rarely been waved at because of this.  scratch head

Curious, but from personal experience it does seem to be largely true. We wave at anybody (including horse boxes quite often!  Whistle1) but it is noticeable that very small vans (and Hymers!!) rarely wave back??

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Ha ha reminds me of a neighbour when he got his van and ended up waving at all sorts, including ambulances

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ptate on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am

Well, we'll be waving at other campers in future - so we'll expect to wave back.... up!

Might avoid waving to ambulances or white vans though.......... hugegrins
ptate

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport 1100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Gromit wrote:Motorhomers frequently wave to other motorhomers irrespective of what van they drive - except in the case of small conversions like yours!!

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about just that. I think the tentative conclusion was that small conversions tend not to wave at other motorhomes, and those in coachbuilts etc. give up waving to them after a while when they don't get a wave back. It may be that you have rarely been waved at because of this.  scratch head

Curious, but from personal experience it does seem to be largely true. We wave at anybody (including horse boxes quite often!  Whistle1) but it is noticeable that very small vans
Small Montana and large Hymer owner wave
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Watch out for Tesco delivery vans they look like a Motorhome if you don't get to see the side.
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum