Going to view a Clubman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Going to view a Clubman

Post by mcubbin on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi, I recently put an offer on a clubman, on ebay, which was accepted. It seems like a good buy, but not so much of a bargain as to be suspicious, I think, 2003 clubman full history and 16,000 miles £19250. I have done an RAC check on it, no red flags and I will check the vin numbers when I view it, I have also looked up the mot history and it tallies with the mileage, the ebay listing photos included the registration number. 
However on contacting the seller, the following came to light, the van was owned by his wive's best friend and her husband, both now incapacitated, the husband in a nursing home the wife in other care, the van was sitting in their driveway not being used, which ties in with the mot history, and they tried to persuade them to sell, so now the van is at their address. The seller says he has now bought the van from the incapacitated couple originally with a view to one of their family members having it,but they have now decided to sell it. He did not change the keeper details on the V5 as he thought keeping it to one owner would be preferable to a prospective buyer. I have had long conversations with the buyer and his side is that they are in this position as a result of helping old friends, I told him that under no circumstances would I purchase the van, other than from the person named on the V5 and at the address on the V5, I also said I would need to see I.D which matched the V5. I am going to see it on Monday, it is quite a distance away so I am flying and will not purchase the van on that occasion,I will inspect the van, go through all the documentation including checking the vin number on the van with the V5, the seller has agreed to transfer the V5 into his name and address, and to do anything else I request in terms of verifying the sale, and all being well I would return when this had been done to buy the van, paying by online bank transfer. I know its a bit convoluted but would appreciate opinions on how risky members think this is.

mcubbin

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going to view a Clubman

Post by Paramedic on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Well, you are most certainly guarding yourself against any possible situation that may see you as a victim of fraud. I'm sure you will soon receive advice from our intrepid guardians on this forum under the heading of 'Buyer Beware'.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Good luck, hope it turns out well for you.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Watch out. Thought you could only change ownership if original owner sends and signs a slip to the DVLA. Until then the van belongs to the keeper. Don't touch it until your seller has the correct documentation. You could be charged with theft.
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm

The registered keeper on a V5 is exactly that. It is the recorded keeper with the DVLA.

This doesn't tell you who the owner of the vehicle is though. That is a separate matter.

To put your mind at ease They would need to show proof of purchase when they bought it  and maybe proof of funds changing hands when they bought it.

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Looks a nice van and a good investment, will be worth the same money in 5 years time.

Check the age of the tyres, it could still have the original tyres fitted and being 14 years old I would change them.

Also run a hpi check, its worth the expense.

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks all for the replies, the RAC check was like the hpi one, with the £30,000 guarantee, but like hpi only against wrong info on the report. I agree on the ownership, I am concerned about the process they went through to acquire the van, if both previous owners were incapacitated, they seem to be looking after their interests without being legally entitled to do so, I will go through all that when I am down seeing it.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

Keep us informed.
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:14 am

This is similar to how I acquired my van, with the exception that it happened to be in my home town, so checking was much easier.
It was parked in the driveway at the seller's house, but the van was owned by his mother and he was selling it on her behalf. But when I looked at the V5 it was registered in her deceased husband's name, the seller's step-father.. Complex, so I paid a small deposit and waited till they sorted it with the DVLA, and didn't purchase until the V5 was in the name of the person I was dealing with.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for that Al, yes similar apart from the family connection, as I said I intend doing the same. Were you ever concerned at all about the ownership issue, in that the registered keeper, in your case eventually the son, is not necessarily the owner, although probably the wife would have been considered the owner. I have never considered any of these issues when buying a car before, but the thought of parting with the best part of £20000 focuses the mind. Assuming that the sellers are not crooks, my main concern is how they went about buying the van, how do you legally buy from someone with dementia, I have visions of a family member of the man in the nursing home making a complaint about the parents being taken advantage of. I did ask if there was anyone with power of attorney to take care of their financial affairs and they said it was them, although they have no legal authority.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Your case does seem a bit tangled It's made harder that you're not on the sellers doorstep. I never had any doubts that the son was entitled to sell the van I purchased, because although I didn't know him personally, he was the landlord of my local pub.
His story was believable, the van was bought by his mother and stepfather, it was registered to the stepfather, who subsequently died suddenly. The mother, not wanting to continue travelling alone, gave the van to her son to sell on.
It was me that raised the problem of legally buying off a deceased person...
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Went to view it this morning, it seems fine, did not get the impression anything dodgy was going on and all the vin numbers matched, van was in good condition, very comprehensive history, mostly VW stamps, cambelt and waterpump done 2 years ago, very clean inside, very little sign of wear, engine bay very clean, small bit of rust showing through the paint on the sill at the drivers door where the joint is, but it is more of a stain than anything, the mudflap attachments are rusty and the washroom window seal looks like it has had some sort of repair, other than that the only thing I could complain about was, that there was a lot of rattling around in the back when doing the test drive, furniture etc is there a way of sorting this out? But I am think of going for it, don't know how long before another with this kind of mileage, 16,400, will turn up.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 am

Sounds a decent van and l think you'll find most older vans rattle a bit when empty. It's usually the oven lid or something easy to sort out . I would still be cautious until the V5 is sorted. Did you see proof of purchase? Good luck and hope it gets sorted..
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 am

I have put a deposit on it, and he has agreed to have the V5 changed to his name and address and also give me copy of a bill of sale and evidence of payment for his purchase from the previous buyer, it is a pity it has to be done this way as the previous owner had it from new.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:05 am

All good. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy your new van and photos please when you've got it.
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks, will do.

mcubbin

Male