Checking a buy by getting an insurance quote.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Checking a buy by getting an insurance quote.

Post by Happyhacker on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am

When buying privately and one decides to go ahead then if an insurance quote is obtained would this actually constitute a check on the status of the vehicle for HP, stolen, crashed? This would surely save on a direct check as the insurer will surely be checking this as well? Thanks.
Happyhacker

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Checking a buy by getting an insurance quote.

Post by Paulmold on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 am

Very much doubt it. As regards stolen, it could have been stolen from a storage yard and owner may not even know it's gone.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 am

Crashed, and what category write off maybe. Stolen, as Paul points out.
However I doubt the insurance company would be involved regarding HP status.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:37 pm

I wouldn't want to rely on it. One of my cars was an insurance write-off earlier in its life and as far as I know the insurance company is not aware. Also, insurance companies can work in slow time, so they can quote but then modify their position if more info comes in later. The worst part is that you have no way of knowing what - if anything - they have actually checked.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Happyhacker on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm

OK convinced. But of course these things esp. the stolen bit could apply to one of the check databases! How long do they take to update. I suppose if the owner has had the vehicle for some time then there is far less risk of it being stolen.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Happyhacker on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:00 pm

-mojo- wrote:I wouldn't want to rely on it. One of my cars was an insurance write-off earlier in its life and as far as I know the insurance company is not aware. Also, insurance companies can work in slow time, so they can quote but then modify their position if more info comes in later. The worst part is that you have no way of knowing what - if anything - they have actually checked.
-mojo- surely if you have a claim they may access data which shows it to be an earlier write off? Anyway I see you have a lift-up type van. Do these have showers and kitted as in say a 2 berth Peugeot harmony? Cheers.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Happyhacker wrote:
-mojo- surely if you have a claim they may access data which shows it to be an earlier write off? Anyway I see you have a lift-up type van. Do these have showers and kitted as in say a 2 berth Peugeot harmony? Cheers.

It doesn't really matter, as the vehicle was completely rebuilt as a 1970's replica - so on mine it's academic anyway.

No, the van in my forum photo is a Bilbos Celex - no shower fitted, no shower wanted! I'm one of those who doesn't mind stinking a bit for a few days if I have to camp wild. I've such a low regard for the quality of shower that you typically get in a camper van that I would rather go without! The Celex is actually a pretty simple van, overall. The only unusual bit is the side-lifting roof - I don't think any other volume manufacturer uses a roof of that type.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:04 pm

...I don't know if you call Leisuredrive a volume manufacturer - they have been converting vans since 1969 - but they also do the side hinged roof....and if I could justify the cost, I would gladly swap my Trooper's roof for one - full headroom along the length, two big windows...IMHO the best elevating roof of all the different types on the market.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Seem to have drifted a little off-topic here! I've never encountered a Leisuredrive, but theirs looks very similar. I ~think~ there is also another converter that uses exactly the same roof as Bilbos (who just buy it in) but with a slightly different "tent".

I guess there are pros and cons to each design - I still like the Trooper (as opposed to Trooper Low-Lie) roof, because the width of the open space is definitely wider than on the Celex (there are quite large ledges all round on that roof).

The other main problem I had with the A/S solid-sided roof is that it is never very midge-proof, while the side-lifter is excellent for that - but then again the heat loss through the fabric walls is much greater.

I'm pretty sure that you could, if you wanted, have the A/S roof replaced with a Reimo, as I've heard of that being done before - though I personally would not choose that route, as I don't like end-lifters.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum