Max size vehicle for UK car parks.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Max size vehicle for UK car parks.

Post by Happyhacker on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I would be interested to know wha are the max. length and width (even height if relevant) of a 2 seater autosleeper without getting a fine in a typical car park space in the UK. Anyone with this experience? Thanks. PS I'm interested in Peugeot Symphony SWB/MWB and pehaps Duetto types which I think is 5.5m long.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max size vehicle for UK car parks.

Post by Paulmold on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Standard car park space in UK is 4.8 X 2.4 metres. Hence the need to pay for two spaces if you need to or find a perimeter space where you can back in and overhang a grass area behind the space. That always worked for us when we had a Symphony and still works with our Nuevo.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Like Paul, we always park in a single space with a bit of the overhang over grass or into bushes, the Nuevo is ideal being only being 5.4 metres long. We try and avoid the overhang going onto paved areas as it does us no favours with pedestrians. As far as width goes, so long as I can see the white lines on each side I'm happy.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 pm

According to the current Autosleepers specification the latest Nuevo Motorhomes are 18.9 or 5.71metres 

I have also found that a number of parking spaces are 6metres long and normally in the region of 2.4 wide

I am not sure if there is a standard size in the Uk

I think it often depends on the price of the land in the area 

At supermarkets I have found that often Aldi car park spaces tend to be generous that the supermarkets 

Happy Motorhoming (and parking)

Terry

Eltel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 am

Pleased to report that long motorhomes seen parked in Chichester's Northgate car park (also foreign) pay for the two spaces. Most sensible as obviously not looking for any fines that would spoil their day. There are grass verges that can accommodate overhangs.
smile!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 am

We sometimes look for a light standard pole and park alongside it, this seems to work though do avoid parking upsun as inevertably some '???' will park in your shade! Overhanging  grass or bushes at rear is good but watch out for trees above behind. Or as we do when on our child minding duties, carry a child! Or at the least a kids booster seat:hugegrins:
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 am

Eltel wrote:According to the current Autosleepers specification the latest Nuevo Motorhomes are 18.9 or 5.71metres 

Terry
I was really referring to our early Nuevo at 5.4 metres long Terry.
Like all later models, be it cars or motorhomes, I know the latest Nuevo is both longer and a touch wider. To me, having viewed the newer model, it seems unnecessary, it makes what was a handy sized coach built van just a tad lardy.
When looking for a parking spot it's always best to try the furthest point from whatever attraction the car park is serving, it usually has most free spaces. Park in the middle of 3 vacant spaces if possible, and always reverse in.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:09 am

Eltel wrote:

If you Google 'standard car park space' you will find a PDF from Planning department giving space sizes for cars, vans, coaches and different configurations depending on whether straight lines or herringbone pattern . Whatever the layout, I'm sure that as long as you fit between the lines there should be no fine issued.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

You need to read the small print. A lot have a weight limit of 2500kg as well as size constraints.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Peter Brown wrote:You need to read the small print.  A lot have a weight limit of 2500kg as well as size constraints.
If they actually took note of that weight, most Landrover and large 4x4 would be above that but without opening your bonnet to look at the plate, how would they know.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm

I can't say I've come across that before in the small print Peter, and I generally do read it when parking in an unfamiliar place, a few I've seen state a limit of 3500kg. Carparks that don't want heavier vehicles usually have a height restriction bar.
Going from personal experience I've parked in hundreds of carparks over the years and have never yet had a ticket, other than on one occasion for overstaying the time paid for...
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Every council car park in Flintshire has a weight limit of 1500kg but as I said before it's difficult to prove. In fact almost every family sized car such as a Mondeo or VW Passat is over that weight. Those weight restrictions were imposed decades ago. Flintshire county explained to be that they don't want heavy vehicles ruining the surface but agree that it is impossible to know the weight of every vehicle. They could go to one car park near the cattle market and put tickets on 50 or more Land rovers (plus cattle trailers) but of course they use common sense. They know the uproar it would create. 
A couple of years ago I asked them where motorhomes could park in our town. The council office responsible said to park on the streets as all car parks had the 1500 kg limit. So I had words with all the parking enforcement officers who all said 'if longer than one bay, pay for two but do not take up two spaces side by side' They could not believe the response to park on the streets as they could see the problems that would create.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Parking on the average street is not a good idea at all, even with mirrors folded in you're asking for a scrape. But drive through any suburbs and you see umpteen panel vans parked on the street with two wheels up on the pavement. In our town there would be gridlock if owners parked with all the wheels of their vans on the road.
BTW, a neighbour drives a company owned massive crew cab pick-up truck, which seem to be getting more popular due to a PAYE/VAT loophole, and although not as high as my van, its footprint on the road is larger by several inches.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:19 pm

We have an average street but got it changed to a one way street, we have three builders warehouses at the top of the road and when it was two way the inconsiderate drivers would try to pass each other and this was physically impossible. It's a short road with plenty of opportunity
 to wait until there was a gap.
It's still tight now and we get the occasional articulated lorry coming down but the damage has stopped, the worst we get now are car owners who have driveways at home and can not reverse into a gap if their life depended on it.
We have parked our small coachbuilt here for over forty years but we don't have to mount the footpath to park.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Happyhacker on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 pm

frederic wrote:We sometimes look for a light standard pole and park alongside it, this seems to work though do avoid parking upsun as inevertably some '???' will park in your shade! Overhanging  grass or bushes at rear is good but watch out for trees above behind. Or as we do when on our child minding duties, carry a child! Or at the least a kids booster seat:hugegrins:
frederic
Hey, why not carry a plastic baby around!?

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 am

Interesting to note the following from Edinburgh council's website:
"Long/large vehicles
Vehicles should fit their wheels within the markings of the bay they are parked in otherwise they may receive a parking ticket. If the wheels do not fit then drivers should consider using a yellow line for loading and loading activities that will take 30 minutes or less. If more time is needed you can apply for a dispensation.
Private off street car parks are also available.
It is only in zones 1 to 4 that the bays are individually marked, in all other zones they are not. This means long/large vehicles can park fully in bays in zone 5 to 8 and those with the prefix S, N and B."
So according to this, as long as the wheels are within the lines, any other overhang is not an offence.  Has anyone any input or experience on this from other areas?

PS Just noticed on the Warwickshire document linked to earlier, this is confirmed as being the case there:
" vehicles must be parked within the markings and tyres shall not touch or encroach beyond the said markings."

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos; PS added)
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 am

As long as said vehicle dos'nt encroach or overhang another (said) parking space depriving another driver the full use of said parking place. I always assume my vehicle has to be within the confines of the marked bay. If the bay is open where there are shrubs, grass or bushes and there is no white line enclosing the bay at that point and you are not blocking/restricting a foot path (as stated above) then I think you would be OK (I would have said)  snigger
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 am

Eltel wrote:According to the current Autosleepers specification the latest Nuevo Motorhomes are 18.9 or 5.71metres 

I have also found that a number of parking spaces are 6metres long and normally in the region of 2.4 wide

I think it often depends on the price of the land in the area 

At supermarkets I have found that often Aldi car park spaces tend to be generous that the supermarkets 

Happy Motorhoming (and parking)

There are free parking places on the road outside, and I park there in my MH, husband does in his car, VW Touran, think it is the area of the ground at Aldi that dictates the parking places size, in this case. Tescos, Sainsburys Asda,  Lydl, no problem, some of the others have barriers.
These are marked parking areas of one hour stay, in supermarkets I go as far away from the main cars at the back, as I tend to get hemmed in by other cars, and cannot open my side door to get the shopping in, for this reason I sometimes drive in, depending on circumstances, I have found that folk with small cars rarely park straight in a bay.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : marked parking.)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

I remember parking way over the back in a Supermarket car park and a woman in a little car came and parked close next to me. I had to ask her why when the park was half empty did she do that and she said it was so she could easily find her car when she came out as she would only be a few minutes!

Naturally, as soon as she had gone in the shop I moved down the other end! blushes
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 am

rogerblack wrote:So according to this, as long as the wheels are within the lines, any other overhang is not an offence. Has anyone any input or experience on this from other areas?
Hi Roger

From distant past experience I can confirm this. 
I was done for parking in January 1988 (it still rankles even now sensored1 ) because my rear wheels were actually on the line in a parallel street parking slot. It was even more annoying because it was the end space in the row, and there was at least another car's length before I would have obstructed the nearby drive.

It was before the days of ubiquitous mobile phones or I would have taken a photo and challenged the fine, but as it was I had to pay up.

I don't know if it's still the same, but it seems an illogical ruling to me. What Biffo said makes a lot more sense, specially the bit about obstructing footpaths!!!! Most of the motorists round here seem to think they would risk a fine if they didn't park with two wheels on the pavement shrugg. It's very much the exception to find cars parked entirely on the road!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:45 am

FIgroundhog wrote: wave I remember parking way over the back in a Supermarket car park and a woman in a little car came and parked close next to me. I had to ask her why when the park was half empty did she do that and she said it was so she could easily find her car when she came out as she would only be a few minutes!

Naturally, as soon as she had gone in the shop I moved down the other end! blushes
Now I want an honest answer, did you sit there watching her look for her "lost" car when she came out?  snigger
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:33 am

When Ken Livingston was mayor of London he considered parking on the pavement was a hanging offence. I think Boris rescinded the death penalty but retained the offence.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am

London has a blanket ban on pavement parking. Some other local authorities have specific area bans, signed where in force. Otherwise it is not specifically illegal, but could constitute an obstruction offence. Driving on the pavement is an offence, but requires witnesses for enforcement.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm

I've just walked back from town, about a mile in all. Out of about 50 parked cars and vans I passed, all but 3 had two wheels on the pavement. Is it true that so long as enough space is left for a wheelchair/pram to pass, it's not considered an obstruction?
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum