The Legend lives on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Legend lives on

Post by Firms on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm

We purchased our Legend to first see if we enjoyed the hobby, and at the time we believed we would later upgrade to a newer van once we knew we enjoyed it.

Two years in and 5000 miles later we love it! Recently we looked at upgrading to a newer van but we cannot seem to find anything similar. Seems that we got it spot on first time and even looking at spending up to 40K cannot seem to find anything with the quality and character of "Bertha"! 

The other option is spending some money on the old girl to improve two things that could be better     

1) Interior: Re-furb the interior to get new foam, materials, curtains, carpets etc...general update more modern materials. 
Have been in contact with a couple of companies already but as always we welcome recommendations from others who have already done this.....

2) Mechanical: I would love to lower the gearing...have a 6th gear. She cruises quite noisily at 3000rpm at 60mph and always feels that there should be another gear.

I believe that the diff is geared for pulling power and not for cruising ability and think the back axle ratio could be lowered. Van seems to have plenty of power being both turbocharged and intercooled. Again love to hear from anyone who is mechanically minded with suggestions...maybe fit an overdrive?

If we can address these two issues (for approx 10% of the coat of upgrading to something newer) then we will have achieved something special.

Finally last week we were camping in Oxford and another guy with a Bessacarr commented that the Legend was one of the best motor homes ever made .....certainly got us thinking..particularly after receiving a derisory PX offer from a dealer! I think Bertha will therefore live on... 

Look forward to your suggestions / comments you may have

Simon
Firms

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Legend lives on

Post by burlingtonboaby on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 pm

We had a Legend pitched up here at Rosemarkie , looked good as new.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm

On the mechanical side, the best place to ask this is definitely the UK Ford Transit forum. You get some pretty blunt contributors there (in fact be prepared for people to be downright rude at the slightest excuse) but it's where the knowledge is on your base vehicle. So, for example, on that forum you need to say exactly what engine you have, rather than leaving it inferred instead of explicitly stated.

For years I owned a Mk5 Transit based conversion with the 84?BHP TDi engine, but strangely I don't recall it being at all noisy on the motorway, so I'm wondering why yours is. Mine had the 4-speed auto so I suppose it may have had a very high 4th gear - but that seems a bit unlikely. In fairness it was a little bit noisy all of the time - but I just fitted a better radio and speakers!
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlysme on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I had my Gatcombe interior refurbished earlier this year. I used a local flooring company to replace the floor carpet with a hard wearing amtico wood replica flooring, and then used Premier Furnishings (Reluxe) near Derby (as recommended to me by another member of this forum - Daisy Mae) to redo all the seating / bedding areas and put in new curtains. I was very happy with their work, and the customer service I received was excellent (including after-sales service when I noticed a small snag over a month later and they sorted with no issues). I'd recommend they are at least on your list to quote, very easy company to do business with.

Jemma Fletcher  
Sales Manager

Premier Furnishings
Park Road
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
DE7 5DR

Tel - 01159 316 940
Mob - 07736048065
Web - www.premierfurnishings.co.uk

Link to the thread on my interior (photos seem to have vanished though since the photobucket issue)

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t18901-refreshing-the-interior?highlight=refreshing
Onlysme
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HairyFool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 pm

At least with Auto-Sleeper you have a good base to renovate, not so "plastic" as some.

I wonder how much the body shell had to be modified as the vehicle chassis changed. At 23K some would describe mine as hardly run in so have no intention myself but is it feasible to lift the shell and drop it on to a newer set of wheels? No small job I know but when you see the lengths some people go to customise a vehicle it should be doable.

The low mileage should be to its advantage but I would not describe mine at 60mph (3000rpm) as being particularly refined and is a bit noisy. At around 57mph I start to hear wind noise which I think is the awning but I am not sure (hard to work out precisely where it comes from when driving look here ). According to the tacho I have another 1000rpm to go.
HairyFool

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobM48 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

I agree with Onlysme. I used Reluxe last year and have been extremely satisfied. Had new foam, re-upholstery for all cushions and removable panels and the two cab seats, came out at £1800. Will try and get some photos tomorrow.
Rob
RobM48
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.robmilliken.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Firms on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations so far.....much appreciated. 
Simon
Firms

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum