Greedy dealers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greedy dealers

Post by samleeds on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:52 am

They offered me £4.5k below my vans market value and wanted £2k more for their unit on a £32,000 UNIT. They also didnt want me to take the extras off even though they wouldnt pay for them, saying removing the solar, gaslow, tv and bike rack made it easier to sell. This wasnt one dealer either, it was 3 around the Leeds area. 2 didnt even see the van, they quoted by e mail. Rip off merchants. I can understand when there is 3 or 4 gran price difference but not £20, 000

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greedy dealers

Post by Gromit on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 pm

To be fair Sam, they do have a lot of overheads . . . . . and several very expensive mistresses by the sound of it!!  uncertain

Fair profit is, well "fair", but that does sound a mite OTT to me.  shrugg

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm

samleeds wrote:They offered me £4.5k below my vans market value and wanted £2k more for their unit on a £32,000 UNIT. They also didnt want me to take the extras off even though they wouldnt pay for them, saying removing the solar, gaslow, tv and bike rack made it easier to sell. This wasnt one dealer either, it was 3 around the Leeds area. 2 didnt even see the van, they quoted by e mail. Rip off merchants. I can understand when there is 3 or 4 gran price difference but not £20, 000
have you seen the ad for a Clubman wanted

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t21976-late-vw-t4-clubman-wanted

Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Alf wrote:have you seen the ad for a Clubman wanted

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t21976-late-vw-t4-clubman-wanted

Alf
Call The Midwife...!
Sorry, I couldn't resist..
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm

When you say 'below market value' do you mean retail price? Dealers normally add 4 to 5 thousand to their buying in price if they are going to sell it. As Gromit says, they have overheads, warranty to offer, service before selling, prepping to do etc.
It's never what they offer for part-ex but 'what is the amount required to change' that matters.
I've been offered £18k by Todd's, £18-£20k by Spinney, £18,500 by small local dealer and a whopping £22k by Motorplus (now Derby Motorhomes) all against similar priced but different vans (£36k - £42k).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Paulmold wrote:It's never what they offer for part-ex but 'what is the amount required to change' that matters.
Spot on Paul.  up!

That's the figure I always go on, for cars, motorhomes or anything else that cost a load of dosh.

I wasn't entirely joking earlier. I bet if we could work out the real overheads a dealer has to account for we would be staggered. It's not as if they sell half a dozen vans a day, every day, and everything has to be paid for whether it's earning money or not - including all the personnel.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Motorplus now Derby motorhomes are my dealer of choice, very fair and always respond to any concerns I have.

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Most dealerships refer to the "Glasses guide " for book values of motorhomes,caravans etc.
I'm advised the guide is downloadable if you dealer at a annual fee.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:15 pm

I got £30000 as part ex for my van. It was on the dealer's website at £35000. I thought that was quite reasonable as they would not necessarily get that. A service, a guarantee, premises, wages etc etc have to be paid for somehow.

Also they do not know how long the van is going to hang around for losing money. In fact my old van seems to have been sold within a couple of weeks.

pstallwood
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:18 pm

pstallwood wrote:I got £30000 as part ex for my van. It was on the dealer's website at £35000. I thought that was quite reasonable as they would not necessarily get that. A service, a guarantee, premises, wages etc etc have to be paid for somehow.

Also they do not know how long the van is going to hang around for losing money. In fact my old van seems to have been sold within a couple of weeks.
Spot-on!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Was speaking to a dealer (small independent) had about 8 vehicles on display.

Insurance was £4500 per year.

Rent £12500

Advertising £6000

The list goes on.... Its not always the gold mine that a lot of people think.

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:48 pm

My point was that similar vehicles to mine are going for around £12000 on e bay and £12,500 on auto trader. His vehicle by the same token was going for £19.500. 

He wanted to buy mine for £4.500 less than market value and wanted mt to pay £3500 more than the auto trader price. he would make £8000 on these deals and thats way too greedy for my liking.

We all expect to lose 10% on trade ins over private but to pay well over top end on the vehicle we wanted with no wiggle room was harsh.

People have told me he has a very low turnover mainly because he asks too much for used campers but most of them are commission sales for customers. I know this as he offered to store and advertise mine for an agreed fee when sold. 

I walked away when he started listing the spurious costs he would be incurring because he offers a 12 month guarantee on all vehicles he sells, except of course the one we wanted, lol. That was a customer advertised one and a buyer be aware notice on it.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 am

samleeds wrote:
I walked away

That's all you can do really. It's fairly obvious that with a starting point at nearly £20k he would never come close to a price that you would consider reasonable. If enough people walk away then he will have no option to cut the price, eventually.

Unfortunately the richest demographic in the country (just retired with a big tax-free lump sum burning a hole in their pocket) are making it too easy for greedy dealers - in my opinion.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 am

Personally I would rather buy from a dealer if I'm spending a lot of money.  Motorhomes are expensive and I want to know that if I discover a problem after sales then it will be fixed.  I know that opens a can of worms about dealer service, and I did threaten one with Small Claims Court, but how could you approach a private buyer after purchase, he could just walk away smiling.
I have used 2 dealers in the past, one I would not use again - ever - and the other I would. Recently we changed and got a trade in figure that I had in my head before we started dealing and on our new purchase we had an additional leisure battery, solar and my gasit installed with new Stainless hoses without charge.  Our old van went on sales with a £2k markup which I have no problem with and we were more than happy with the total deal.
Rich..
RML

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

RML wrote:Recently we changed and got a trade in figure that I had in my head before we started dealing and on our new purchase we had an additional leisure battery, solar and my gasit installed with new Stainless hoses without charge.  Our old van went on sales with a £2k markup which I have no problem with and we were more than happy with the total deal.
Rich..
We've had similar experiences three times with our dealer Rich, but we were lucky enough to choose a very good one first time. (Cotswold Motorhomes.) A fair exchange deal, plus a few goodies thrown in - which suits the dealer better than a cash discount as he can provide the extras at trade price. The purchaser is happy too, because he would have had to pay the full price to add them later.

From what Sam is saying I think he has found a rather unusual dealer who conducts his business is quite a different way. Commission sales for customers are a very different story. They cost him little or nothing to put on his forecourt, and if the customer is willing to bide his time the dealer can ask a silly price - and probably get it when the right mug walks in!! It only needs one.  shrugg

There is unlikely to be much of a guarantee, if any, since the contract will be with the owner and not the dealer. (Convenient, eh?) There are unlikely to be any sweeteners either, since the dealer is only acting as middle man, and has no interest in the sale - both literally and figuratively.

Not for me either Rich, I'm afraid.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firms on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Interesting experience yesterday getting a PX figure on our 1997 Legend against a £40,000 5 year old Swift Bolero.....

This weekend we were out in the van and had been discussing between spending some money on the old girl (re-upholster / upgrade the gearing / differential etc) or buy something newer. We bought the Legend to try our hand at motorhoming and two years in we absolutely love it so want to continue the adventure. 

Anyway the PX figure quoted was £7000- £8000 max! Not saying that the dealer was greedy but a private sale would raise £12,000-£13,000 so 50% more. Either way 30K difference is a lot to find so "The Legend" will live with us in upgraded form....

Have to say we really love the van and the quality of the fittings but the foam in the seats needs replacing so we will have it upholstered. I would also like to lower the gearing so it doesn't rev so high in fifth...  be great to hear from anyone who has carried out these upgrades to their vans.

Cheers

Simon
Firms

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by postman on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Simple solution here surely?

Without meaning to be rude,if it's so easy to sell privately for top price and then buy cheap from e-bay etc, as quoted by several above , just do it.

Regards, Tim
postman

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:12 pm

postman wrote:
Without meaning to be rude,if it's so easy to sell privately for top price and then buy cheap from e-bay etc, as quoted by several above

I guess that would be a good point if anyone had actually said this anywhere in the thread, but I've just checked through, and nobody did!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by postman on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Sorry
postman

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Unless I buy new, which has only been cars on three occasions, I always deal privately. 
I bought my present Nuevo off a couple who lived on the next street, after seeing it unused on their drive for over a year. It turned out they'd inherited it and had no use for it. I offered them 6k less than ones I'd seen at our nearest dealer, which happens to be 20 miles away. To my surprise they accepted. 
I put my old van conversion on ebay the next day and sold it for a brilliant price within the week.
Cutting out dealers can be rewarding.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 pm

All about the margin isn't it, on a van marked above book he may have given the previous owner a high part exchange allowance or had to do a lot of work to retail it where on an identical van he may be able to do a better deal as he has given a lower part exchange allowance and it came in perfect
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum