stick on solar awning light

View previous topic View next topic Go down

stick on solar awning light

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm

I don`t not have an outside awning light on my van, and would like one, do not  want to go down the road of having one wired in, so in effect is there such a thing as an awning light that is solar powered and will stick on my van please.?

I have looked on line, and there are house lights that come on at dusk and go of at dawn, not really what I want, do not want to upset anyone on the next pitch.

Thank you for any help,
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stick on solar awning light

Post by HairyFool on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Look at the Solar Shed lights as they can include a PIR if required.

We had a pair although we did not travel with them fitted. Good quality Velcro tape meant it was a seconds work to fit them up on site
HairyFool

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you HairyFool for reply, haven`t had the time to search for one will do so soon. Good idea.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:10 pm

SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Thank you, on reading the info, don`t think other campers would appreciate it , as it has a wide range,

Many thanks anyway.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Hello Margaret

This one may suit you as it can be remote controlled switch or motion sensor for when you go out at night to welcome you back

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controlled-Waterproof-Outdoor-Wall-Mounted-Lighting/dp/B06Y64SGGS/ref=pd_sim_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HEWD1ZFSYZE53QJ9V7N2

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HairyFool on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:10 pm

daisy mae wrote:Thank you, on reading the info, don`t think other campers would appreciate it , as it has a wide range,

Many thanks anyway.
Take the claims of the manufacturer with a pinch as they appear a little optimistic. We have some similar units around the house, light level are good within a couple of metres but tail off fairly quickly as you move out.

If a concern the look at how you could fix one up away from the van facing towards it such as on the awning rail if you have one.

Last edited by HairyFool on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Computer error)
HairyFool

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 am

Heanorboy wrote:Hello Margaret

This one may suit you as it can be remote controlled switch or motion sensor for when you go out at night to welcome you back

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controlled-Waterproof-Outdoor-Wall-Mounted-Lighting/dp/B06Y64SGGS/ref=pd_sim_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HEWD1ZFSYZE53QJ9V7N2

David
Thank you Dave,

That looks ok, now to find out how to fix one, don`t want to screw into the body, perhaps velcro will do it, if it will take the weight. can take off for travelling , 

thanx
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlysme on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:38 am

Hi Margaret,

When I need to attach something to the outside of my camper, I use 3M Dual Lock. My external weather sensor is held on by it and hasn't moved in the 10 months its been there, I also use it to hold my portable hard drive up behind my TV and that is attached before a holiday by 2 x 1" strips and stays put regardless of how many times the tv is moved or how bumpy the roads are (its 2 2tb portable hard drive so has a little wight to it..)

3m dual lock is not cheap, but it does get the job done: http://amzn.eu/7cg3zd1

Marco
Onlysme
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe VW 2.5 TDI
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 pm

David

Thank you, ordered and received one, I am in the middle of painting the black casing off white to blend into the body colour better. seems very good, can be quite bright on one setting.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Marco,

Thank you, now have the heavy duty 3M Dual Lock tape.

Is the adhesive strong enough for the weight of the light or better to put something else on the tape before fitting to MH? Some reviews said the adhesive had come away from the tape, someone else had put Silkaflex on, which I would rather not do, trying not to spoil the van.

Thank you,
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm

daisy mae wrote:

David

Thank you, ordered and received one, I am in the middle of painting the black casing off white to blend into the body colour better. seems very good, can be quite bright on one setting.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Margaret
Great that it seems to fit the bill for you 
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stickon solar awning light

Post by sapper997 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 am

Hi daisy mae, I have also purchased the same model "Aukey 18 LED" solar light, I may be missing something, but when activated with the remote it comes on but does not turn off, only returning to the dim mode scratch head .
I have tested it in the darkened wardrobe, and can switch it on and off with the remote, no problem but fitted above the habitation door once activated with the remote it will not switch off with the remote.
The instructions are simple.....too simple !!....I have tried all the modes, but no luck, have you had the same problem ?, or can you switch yours off, I would prefere to leave it attached to the van ( with 3m duel locking tape )
instead of having to remove it every time I drive at night to stop it activating.

Hope this makes sense ....Ray shrugg
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Ray,

When I tried the light in the house it did switch of by the remote, must admit I haven`t gone ahead and fitted it on van, reason , I painted it the same colour as the cab and lower body, auto paint, but I wasn`t 100% happy with the finish, also of where to fix it, will not go above my door, when I get back home I will try it, and have another go at it, thought the black case
 wouldn`t look right. Will get back to you on that one.
Regards,
Margaret.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stick on solar awning light

Post by sapper997 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:49 am

Hi again, Tried the light again last night on the remote...guess what,...it worked this time allthumbz .
I have left mine in the original black and it doesn't look out of place, it is mounted above the
gutter over the habitation door, I took the wind out awning off my van a couple of years back
because in the previous eight years we had only used it once to dry the washing under when it
started to rain......we prefer to sit in the sun !!....and its removal gives us a lot more payload.
I realise this post refers to it as an "awning light", but if we are ever on a site (mainly in Spain)
for more than a couple of weeks, we use a stand alone shelter. Our reason for wanting a light
was when returning to the van on dark nights when on CLs or rally fields, so where I have
fitted the light wouldn't suit your needs, to me your most obvious place would be between the
large side window and the habitation door....but then that would be in the way of the open door !!

Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum