Roof Vent / Roof Light Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roof Vent / Roof Light Help!

Post by Lone-Renegade on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:36 pm

I own a 1996 chassis Ford Auto-Sleeper Legend GL.
I need to replace my 3 roof vents / roof lights, I have the MPK 400x400 sandwich type installed at present, but wish to replace them.
Can anyone tell me the roof thickness of this vehicle, as I cannot find any information online, and could do with a little help with this, I don't really want to replace them with the MPK type as they go brittle and don't last very long.

I have bought 2x Fiamma Crystal Caravan Roof Light Vent & 1x Fiamma White Caravan Roof Sky Vent Light, as they are fixed externally with screws, and the flyscreen attaches from within the vehicle with 4 screws, and looking at them they look to be the right thickness, info on website = Can be installed on roofs with depths of 2.5cm to max 5cm.
2x Crystal Roof Light Vents
1x White Roof Light Vent
I bought them from Jackson Leisure Supplies and was told on the phone they came with fixing screws, this was not the case when I received them, and after contacting them was told that they are not supplied with fixing screws.
I am now left with finding the correct screws for fitting them, and have found that the Fiamma manual supplied with them, does not give the correct information on the screws needed for fitting.

If anyone can help, or has fitted replacement roof vents to this particular Motorhome, I would appreciate it, I have it booked in to have them fitted on 14th August 2017

Paul
Lone-Renegade

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford AutoSleeper Legend GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roof Vent / Roof Light Help!

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:54 pm

I fitted a Fiamma Crystal to my 1995 Executive, which was similar to your van in that it's a monocoque, in the forward overcab position to reduce wind noise.

I'll be totally honest, fitting it was a bit nerve wracking as the Crystal vent has a smaller footprint than the MPK and the hole in our roof looked as if it had been cut with a breadknife, leaving very little margin for error and only a small lip to sit the Crystal vent on.

I didn't want to screw through the roof to mount the Crystal top part, so I used long screws to trap it with the bottom section, as the MPK does, after using sealing compound to make the lip seal on top of the roof.

I was left with a small gap in one of the corners of the roof lining panel where it had been cut off square by AS, but this was not very noticeable.

I'll try to find the thread with my original pictures and put a link for your perusal.

I've also fitted a replacement for the forward vent in our 2005 Exec, but this time I used a Mini Heki and found that it was more like the correct footprint, has the through fixings instead of supposedly drilling into the roof, and is just generally a nicer fit and finish.

My genuine advice, send the Fiammas back and spend a bit more on Mini Hekis, you won't regret it, (but you might regret the Fiamma Crystals).

Here's the original thread, but unfortunately the pictures are missing due to the Photoblockit debacle.
If you're really interested, I could perhaps find and re-post the original pics?

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t13858-new-fiamma-crystal-roof-light-issues?highlight=crystal

Last edited by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 pm

This is the Fiamma Crystal, you can see that it's substantially smaller than the MPK from the marks where the old lower frame was on the roof lining, in the last pic.

meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:28 pm

meanchris wrote:This is the Fiamma Crystal, you can see that it's substantially smaller than the MPK from the marks where the old lower frame was on the roof lining, in the last pic.

Thanks for the reply meanchris

I am probably going to be sending these Fiamma ones back, I am disgusted they do not supply any fixing screws, and have indicated the wrong sizes for fitment in their manual supplied with the roof vents.
I have also found it very difficult to find any screw company locally who would have the correct sizes as stated in the booklet, wasted a lot of time today phoning around, then found a review stating they are the incorrect sizes stated for the fitment, was so angry, even phoning a few of the leisure companies didn't offer much help either.

I really don't want to go back to the MPK as they are IMO a waste of money, because they don't last very long, get very brittle and the domes eventually crack and split, hence why I went with the Fiamma, already sent 3 back to a eBay seller as they did not come with screws and he messed me about with delivery, and now another 3 from Jacksons Leisure Supplies, who I phoned and specifically asked if they had all the fitting screws etc, to which I was told YES, then opened the boxes to find no screws at all, and after phoning Jacksons up, they then tell me that these are not supplied with screws, so angry about this whole debicle.

I would like to go with the mini heki, but the cost is so much more and I am on disability and would be looking at nearly £300 to replace all 3, so not sure what I am going to do.

Which Mini Heki did you fit, and was it 400x400 and what thickness did you get?
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:41 pm

You could perhaps do what I did in the above pictures, and simply not use the top screws (who would want to drill 20 odd holes in a monocoque AS, not me).

If you're lucky, the cutouts in your roof might be just small enough to make it work OK, but I wouldn't feel confident to recommend that after my experience.

I feel that the Heki is a completely different kettle of fish, I'm very happy with ours, you get what you pay for and it's a far simpler vent to fit IMHO.

Perhaps search around (ebay) for a good price?
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm

meanchris wrote:You could perhaps do what I did in the above pictures, and simply not use the top screws (who would want to drill 20 odd holes in a monocoque AS, not me).

If you're lucky, the cutouts in your roof might be just small enough to make it work OK, but I wouldn't feel confident to recommend that after my experience.

I feel that the Heki is a completely different kettle of fish, I'm very happy with ours, you get what you pay for and it's a far simpler vent to fit IMHO.

Perhaps search around (ebay) for a good price?

What Model Heki did you fit, as there are several different models available, just want to see how the price would work out, perhaps just replace 2 now and a further one later.
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Mini Heki Plus, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dometic-Seitz-Mini-Heki-Plus-Roof-Light-Skylight-Vent-Hatch-25-42-NON-VENTED-/131817611605?epid=681252331&hash=item1eb0f12155:g:WY8AAOSwKfVXGei9#rwid

Note that it's NOT vented, as I preferred that for the front vent, to reduce wind noise at speed, (and by heki it does hugegrins ), but you might be warned that reducing fixed ventilation can be inadvisable, (for obvious reasons).

I wouldn't fit non-vented vents in any of the other positions of course, for safety's sake.

EDIT: I remembered that we also didn't like the fixed flyscreen in the Crystal as it meant that, if a dead fly or other object got into the vent, you couldn't get it out without much flicking with a finger and risking tearing the mesh, as it doesn't open.

My advice would be to do one vent at a time, front one first as it makes so much difference to the wind noise when travelling, then the others at your leisure as and when you can afford them.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm

meanchris wrote:Mini Heki Plus, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dometic-Seitz-Mini-Heki-Plus-Roof-Light-Skylight-Vent-Hatch-25-42-NON-VENTED-/131817611605?epid=681252331&hash=item1eb0f12155:g:WY8AAOSwKfVXGei9#rwid

Note that it's NOT vented, as I preferred that for the front vent, to reduce wind noise at speed, (and by heki it does hugegrins ), but you might be warned that reducing fixed ventilation can be inadvisable, (for obvious reasons).

I wouldn't fit non-vented vents in any of the other positions of course, for safety's sake.

EDIT: I remembered that we also didn't like the fixed flyscreen in the Crystal as it meant that, if a dead fly or other object got into the vent, you couldn't get it out without much flicking with a finger and risking tearing the mesh, as it doesn't open.

My advice would be to do one vent at a time, front one first as it makes so much difference to the wind noise when travelling, then the others at your leisure as and when you can afford them.
My front one is the only one that is not leaking yet, and seems to be ok, but both the bathroom and the one over rear door are both leaking quite badly, so I need to do both of those first.

I have it booked in at Caravan Solutions in Romsey, Hampshire, on the 14th Aug to get them fitted, like I said I am disabled and cannot do the job myself, as much as I would like too, but alas my disability makes it impossible for me to kneel on the roof, let alone get up there now, this is why I wanted to get all 3 of them replaced at the same time, but £330 + Labour and mastic etc for fitting is going to be a lot more than I anticipated, so might just have to replace with the old type MPK ones again :(
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

If they're leaking, my experience is that it's from the recess where they're attached to the spring handles.

That can be cured with a new 'dome', which can be fitted from inside the van in 5-10 minutes.

Are you sure that the bathroom vent is 400x400, ours is the smaller MPK 280x280 version?

If you could get away with a new 280x280 dome and one new 400x400 dome, you're in luck, I have an almost new 400x400 dome sitting in my garage that I was going to throw or give away.
If it will help, you can have it for the cost of postage?

The 280x280 replacement 'dome' is also available from ebay, here's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPK-Rooflight-dome-with-handles-280-X-280mm-caravan-motorhome-BEIGE-900090-/221464327656?epid=1588376752&hash=item33904d75e8:g:hqcAAOxy3zNShQuv
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 pm

meanchris wrote:If they're leaking, my experience is that it's from the recess where they're attached to the spring handles.

That can be cured with a new 'dome', which can be fitted from inside the van in 5-10 minutes.

Are you sure that the bathroom vent is 400x400, ours is the smaller MPK 280x280 version?

If you could get away with a new 280x280 dome and one new 400x400 dome, you're in luck, I have an almost new 400x400 dome sitting in my garage that I was going to throw or give away.
If it will help, you can have it for the cost of postage?

The 280x280 replacement 'dome' is also available from ebay, here's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPK-Rooflight-dome-with-handles-280-X-280mm-caravan-motorhome-BEIGE-900090-/221464327656?epid=1588376752&hash=item33904d75e8:g:hqcAAOxy3zNShQuv
The back one near the door has leakage around the edge and also the dome is cracked badly, like someone has dropped a brick on it or something, I have just had someone reseal it around the edge with silicon sealer just to help stop the leaking, and the crack I ducked taped up for the time being, the bathroom one is a 400x400, and I am not sure where that one is leaking, probably around the edge as there does not seem to be any damage to the dome at all, but the edges are probably coming away from the roof, I could not see when I look from the ladder.

I am going to phone Jacksons Leisure again tomorrow and see about returning these 3 Fiamma ones and perhaps see if they will do me a deal on 2 of the mini heki ones, and maybe something cheaper for the bathroom, I'll let you know how it works out and will go from there, but I do appreciate the offer, thanks.

Paul
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rangitira on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:39 pm

I had no trouble fitting my Crystals, you have to make sure they are correctly aliened tho,. Looking at your photos I see one of them isn't

I had no problems getting the screws either from the local branch of "Cornish Fixings"
rangitira

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:12 pm

rangitira wrote:I had no trouble fitting my Crystals, you have to make sure they are correctly aliened tho,. Looking at your photos I see one of them isn't

I had no problems getting the screws either from the local branch of "Cornish Fixings"

I only fitted one, and it IS correctly aligned, the problem is that the roof had been cut out by a monkey at AS.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Well I decided not to go for Fiamma again, after having 2 experiences with no screws coming with them, and not finding the correct ones to do the job, so they went back to suppliers.

I decided to go with Omni-Vent, I spent a little more and went with an Omni-Vent 12v Fan & Blind with Transparent Dome the fan sucks air in and can be reversed to blow air out again, so will be great for hot Summers.

And for the bathroom I went with an Omni-Vent Translucent don't really need anything special for the bathroom, so this was ideal.

As for the front roof vent, I can wait and get another one fitted at a later date, as that one is not really any concern right now, but both new ones have been delivered and came with all the screws and fittings, so I can now be a happy camper as they say  smile! .

Well I was until I found out that my rear window is also now leaking  fedup tried duck taping it, but that did not hold for long in the weather we have been having in Southampton lately, no idea how long it's been leaking either, so no idea what damage has been done, just need a day when it is dry enough I can just get some help to pop it out and reseal it again, 10 year ago I could have done all this myself, now have to get booked into somewhere that can do the work for me, and down here it's not easy finding places to do the job, most are either booked up with their own customers, or are so busy you have to wait months.
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by julie farrell on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 am

hi all, we have a 1997 auto sleeper talisman which has lost its bathroom skylight on a trip to France. measures 300x300cms does any one know of  a breakers or somewhere that deals with these things? we are  also after a new back/kitchen window, ours has a   small crack in it which is getting water in it!!
julie farrell

Female

Auto-Sleeper : talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Renegade on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 am

julie farrell wrote:hi all, we have a 1997 auto sleeper talisman which has lost its bathroom skylight on a trip to France. measures 300x300cms does any one know of  a breakers or somewhere that deals with these things? we are  also after a new back/kitchen window, ours has a   small crack in it which is getting water in it!!

To be honest, it's not worth replacing them with used ones, you have no idea how old they are, and how long they will last, it's better to replace with new ones, that way you are guaranteed to get much longer use out of them.
Lone-Renegade

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 am

Size wise it depends how it's measured but you'll probably find it's a 280 x280 and if you don't need the frame you can just buy the dome..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142465904783

As regards your window, almost impossible to find one second-hand or even new but might be worth checking with O'Learys. Or ECCO will make you one but it'll cost a couple of hundred pounds.

http://eeco-ltd.co.uk/

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

http://nationalcaravanbreakers.co.uk/windows

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My experience of fitting Heki mini roof vents

Post by gordyjackson on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Evening All,

Not sure if it helps this thread but I replaced both my MPK 400 x 400 roof vents with Mini Heki's.   I didn't need to alter anything on the van, inside or out.   It fitted snugly behind the moulded wind deflectors and the internal trim covered all the old area.   In fact from start to finish I think it took me about 40 minutes to fit the first one and only about 20 minutes to do the second.
I sealed them with white Sikaflex.
The one in the main area was a 25mm version and the one above the bunk was the thicker of the two 40-63mm from recollection.  The bunk roof is actually tapered which has left me with a gap to fill at the rear and a couple of 'wedge shaped' gaps but I can tidy those up with a bit of plat pvcu trim at some point.
It makes such a difference both having proper daylight up there especially in the bunk bedroom but also to have some airflow.
I have no experience with the fiamma versions but I can vouch for the heki.

I see that they do a 'micro' version now which will fit the bathroom so I think I'll do that next and call it 'job done'!

gordyjackson

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum