Removing ladder from Amethyst

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Removing ladder from Amethyst

Post by HairyFool on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 am

What is the procedure to remove a ladder?

I see nothing obvious on the outside so would it require stripping out the trim internally?
HairyFool

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing ladder from Amethyst

Post by Tallboy on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm

When we bought our '99 Clubman the ladder had already been removed to accommodate a huge rear mounted storage box. The box was hideously ugly so I got rid of that and reinstated the ladder, which had fortunately been retained by the seller. 
The top mountings are relatively easy to get to- just remove the ceiling trim panel, skylight surround and curtain pelmet in the bathroom, but the lower mountings mean taking out the whole Thetford toilet assembly. Looking back (this was 8 or 9 years ago) it was quite daunting, but I don't recall any problems,  and removing/replacing the toilet was quite straightforward once I'd found all the hidden screws. Don't force anything, just look a bit harder for a rusty screw.
Removing the ladder itself will be a doddle once you've exposed the 4 stainless nuts which secure it.
Be sure to seal the mounting holes well!
Good luck,
Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing ladder from Amethyst

Post by HairyFool on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks, that's what I needed.

The removal is only temporary. For some reason a previous owner has cut back the glaze over all the coloured surface which I need to recover. Machine polishing would be easier but impossible with the ladder in place (can't work out how they got it off under the ladder in the 1st place)
HairyFool

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum