Delayed trip to france

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Delayed trip to france

Post by Libraryman2 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi all:
Unfortunately it appears that my new autosleeper delivery is being delayed until mid August! I've missed a planned trip opportunity so I've decided to now take delivery in September with the new registration!

It essentially means that I won't be able to start my trip to France until 25th September running through till mid October.

My planned route is Calais to Nantes stopping of at a couple of Aires on the route...I.e. 104 northern France
Then 37 Normandy and 99 pays de Loire.

5 days at Nantes then up to vannes and aire 21 nr Dinan, st Malo #15 and onto Caen for the ferry back!!

Never done a route like this, will the Aires be open in October?
I suspect the weather might be variable to say the least! I would appreciate any opinions or advise on better routes or stopping off options. think_smiley_46

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK LP TB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Delayed trip to france

Post by bikeralw on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:07 pm

What are these aire numbers you refer to? Is it the latest All the aires in France book? The numbers change every year when the book gets updated. I use The Camperstop Europe book, far more comprehensive in my opinion.
I use aires extensively, and the best plan is not really to have a plan, be flexible, if an aire is shut or not suitable, ie; taken over by travellers, there will always be another not far away to try.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Cheers Al, there's it is hugegrins my inexperience in a nutshell.
I just took them of this years Aires France locator map?

I've heard that view many times, "the best plan is no plan" I couldn't argue with the logic but my missus would and until our experience grows, a plan will be needed.
Not heard of the Camperstop euro book but I'll look.

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Maps

Post by Libraryman2 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 pm

This is the type of map I use from vicarious books!

Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes, I buy the book every 3 years or so Ray, and it's fine for France, but the numbers do change. It won't affect you on this trip, but if in future you stray out of France, the Camperstop book is really good.
https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Camperstop-Europe-2017-ISBN9789076080505.html
Al
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

At Nantes there's a very good ACSI site outside of the town. It's on a tram stop into the centre, and, the elephant on the island is worth a look. 
Rich..
RML

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:37 am

Hi thanks for that, I have already chosen an acsi site in Nantes but I will try to find the one you are referring too.

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 am

Assuming you have a smart phone Ray, have you considered using Maps.Me?

It's free, has very detailed maps, and GPS location so you know exactly where you are.

You can very easily install push pin indicators for anything you like. I have aires, municipals, LPG outlets, Lidl shops plus lots of others supermarkets, etc.. Whatever category you are looking for, just switch it on in Maps.Me and you can see where you are, and where you need to get to.

It has a route planning feature which is improving with each new release, but we have it on Mrs Gromit's 10" tablet so she can easily guide me in from a bigger screen than the phone. If the place we are looking for is close by it's hardly worth bothering with the route planner.

To upload a dataset you simply send it to yourself as an email attachment, click on the attachment and Maps.Me automatically digests it.

You have a PM.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks Dave, this is the very good nature of the forum at work, very much appreciated up!

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Libraryman2 wrote:aire 21 nr Dinan,

In me2015 edition of All The Aires, 21 is Le Port de Dinan. We stayed there last September for a night. Loads of restaurants just down the road in the Port and a lovely medieval town up the hill. Working out how and how much to pay generated much multi-lingual head scratching but well worth the effort - superb location.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Peter, yes this has gone onto the route winks

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 am

Gromit wrote:Assuming you have a smart phone Ray, have you considered using Maps.Me?

It's free, has very detailed maps, and GPS location so you know exactly where you are.

You can very easily install push pin indicators for anything you like. I have aires, municipals, LPG outlets, Lidl shops plus lots of others supermarkets, etc.. Whatever category you are looking for, just switch it on in Maps.Me and you can see where you are, and where you need to get to.

It has a route planning feature which is improving with each new release, but we have it on Mrs Gromit's 10" tablet so she can easily guide me in from a bigger screen than the phone. If the place we are looking for is close by it's hardly worth bothering with the route planner.

To upload a dataset you simply send it to yourself as an email attachment, click on the attachment and Maps.Me automatically digests it.

You have a PM.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I am having trouble finding the link.

What is the best way to use a tablet while on mobile WiFi in France, ie a pre loaded sim, one of those 3 things and the thing it plugs into? As you can tell I have not yet got to grips with the modern World!

We are off to France again in September.

Richard
rgermain

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Richard, I use one of the popular mifi units with a 12month- 12gig pre loaded SIM cards.....they were £30:00 but I've been told they have now gone up to £40:00....not as good value but they do last 12 month if used correctly and I've never failed to get wifi with it!

The value on Maps.me; as it appears to me is that I can use it offline...
It does look quite good but would be better on a larger tablet!
I use a mini iPad....the 10inch iPads would be a little better I.e. Bigger screen.

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum