First trip in Clubman...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First trip in Clubman...

Post by Limey on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 pm

...and all went really well! We had a few nights by the coast in Norfolk, and we found the van so comfy!! We have now got a bit of a snagging list of things that need attention......

1. Sort the roof vent - now done. It was making such a racket when travelling that we couldn't even hear ourselves speak.I had noticed when looking out of the upstairs window, that one corner wasn't fully down. There was a bit of metal sticking out of the 'doings' somewhere that my partner has snapped off, and got the top down flat, so hopefully that will be some improvement.

2. Bit of leaking on the bottom of the side windows - this was only actually apparent after we had the most amazing thunderstorm from 1am till 6am on Tuesday night which had the site almost flooded and kept everyone awake; so a torrential amount of water came down! However I am not surprised since the black rubber seals along the bottom of the windows have perished in places. Will need to research what to do.

3. Tip up basin - we knew when we bought it, it was split at the back slightly and the tap leaks a bit too. The previous owner had tried to seal it where it leaks but it hasn't worked, it's a bit of a botch and looks a mess inside, which bothers me more (the leak only goes into the waste water tank anyway.) This will probably be left for the time being as there will be more important things to spend the money on possibly :(

4. Fresh water tank level indicator doesn't work. Will look into this.

So, things to be getting on with! Also need to clean the upholstery and curtains next. Not looking forward to getting the curtains off the rails! Looks an absolute *%$#^* of a job!

Emily
Limey

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First trip in Clubman...

Post by nerdycross on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 am

Hi Limey
We are  goin though a snagging list on our newly acquired talisman 
 one item on the list was wash Curtains . It was quite fiddly but not to hard to remove the side curtains you need unclip the curtain rail from retaining clips. if you need any further help let me know.

nerdycross

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for that Nerdycross. Will let you know. I am waiting for a good washing day before I make a start on that.

Well it rained heavily last night, and I checked the van this morning when it was still raining and there was not a drop of water anywhere inside that I could see. Will keep an eye on things.
Limey

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Sounds like you've got a good one there.

nerdycross

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 pm

If the curtains are contemporaries of the van then be very careful when you wash them. I'd suggest a fairly delicate hand wash rather than a machine wash. From bitter experience with our long gone caravan, the curtains become very brittle from too much sun and they simply fall apart in the wash.  Ditto the curtain runners etc which it might be a good move to bank on buying more of before you start.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 pm

If your model does not have clips to keep the curtain rail up unscrew the rail in the middle and let it drop down enough to let you slide the runners off. Then when you come to put them back attach the runners to the curtains and slide them back on. If I remember correctly the back window had to be unscrewed  at each end and requires a sort of limb dancing posture to get at the rail. The runnerhook is available if you google for them and look at the diagrams, they might be Swish.
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Quilter - yes, I will hand wash in Luke warm water to be on the safe side.

Louise - It looks like the rail clips in but it doesn't look easy! Luckily we don't have curtains at the back.

Nerdy - the van is not in too bad shape, lots of little bits of damage here and there (more than I listed) but it is just a lot of wear and tear lack of care; not worth trying to put everything right at once. Though it does seem every time I step into it, I find something else that is broken/cracked etc.{sigh} But on the bright side, everything is working and she is still moving. :)

Has anyone had a go at cleaning the upholstery? Ours is really really grubby. I was thinking of hiring a rug doctor?

Emily
Limey

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

upholstery

Post by bousfield on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:34 pm

When I bought our Clubman the upholstery was filthy cleaned it with the carpet/upholstery cleaner came up a treat.The curtains on these are really tough no problem in the washing machine,we dyed ours blue, look a lot better as they match the upholstery
bousfield

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm

There's always the 'new upholstery' route, if you're feeling flush.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t11610-new-interior-upholstery-your-opinions

Daisy Mae also has a thread for her reupholstered Clubman(?)
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:21 pm

If its any help we changed the curtains in our Duetto. It is a bit of a faff getting the old ones off the rails. We bought new ones from a place on the Derby side of Nottingham. A full set including black out material on the inside was about £450. A bit pricey but well made and fitted well. It was worth it if only for keeping the van warmer.Who ever has our van now will have curtains that will out last the van.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks all for the comments! I do actually like the original curtains and upholstery (in a very dated/vintage kind of way). Wouldn't want them in my house mind you! It would be lovely to have them reupholstered but the budget isn't going to stretch that far so_sad  I woke up early yesterday morning and my first thought (out of nowhere) was 'we need to replace the cam belt!!'. It was niggling at me since we bought it. When we enquired before buying, we found out it had been replaced at 30k miles (now done getting on for 60k) thus my partner wanted to get the work done sometime in the winter. But I dug out all the paperwork and found out it had the new cam belt over 10 years ago so I am insisting it is done now. Our usual garage doesn't want the job (after treating us to a long rant about having done a cam belt on this type of engine some years ago and how he swore he would never do one again) which is a bit gutting as we were hoping they would look after the van for us in the future re. servicing etc.
Limey

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobM48 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:45 pm

There is Redhill Garage at Arnold (very friendly and may offer a courtesy car) who MOT & service motorhomes or Amber Valley Commercials at Awsworth, who fitted my cam belt when I bought the motorhome 3 years ago.
http://www.nottsmotorhomeservices.co.uk
http://www.ambervalleycommercials.co.uk
Hope that helps......and we went down the route of having the upholstery renewed at Re-luxe at Ilkeston......totally satisfied.
Rob
RobM48
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.robmilliken.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Have you posted pics of your upholstery Rob, the one in my link was done at Regal, It'd be interesting to compare results as we might have our new van done at some time?
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:30 pm

I agree about keeping the trim as standard. We only changed the curtains because they were faded especialy the front ones for the windscreen. They had been left folded back and ended up with stripes in them as per the folds.
The VW T4,s that the Clubman is based on in either 2.4 or the TDI is not a difficult engine to work on with the correct timing tools. Trying to change the belt without can be a struggle. I would not let any cowboy touch it. The thought of belt failure is bad news. Once changed you will have peace of mind for a lot of miles on the road.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Can you not use the halved belt method on the VWs?

i.e.

1. Slip the old belt forwards on the pulleys until only half of its width is still on the pulleys, then slit it all the way down the middle, leaving half the belt intact.

2. You then push that half to the back of the pulleys and put the new belt on over the front.

3. Finally, cut the old belt and remove it before pushing the new belt fully onto the pulleys.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rangitira on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Ya Limey, we have just bought a Clubman GL,

re; your vents, I've just renewed ours, we got them from John Cross Motors (£44ea, mastic tape £13 99)
Suprisingly easy to remove the old ones, a bit fiddly to install the new, mostly due to the fact each has 20 screws to hold them down. From start to finish the 1st took 1 1/2 hours, the others 1 1/4 hours ea.
Am in the process of fitting a TV aerial now, got most of it done then Rain stopped play. Vans is in Garage today, I had a new exhaust fitted week or so ago, and "I ain't 'appy!" so they are giving it a few tweeks.
rangitira

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Pratt on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Re water tank level indicator, ours didn't work at first. Just kept on trying and hey-presto, now it works. We have to hold the switch on for 15 + seconds, then it works fine, every time. This is a 2004 Clubman.
Roger Pratt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum