Gatcombe faults

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gatcombe faults

Post by mcubbin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 pm

I am considering going to view, hopefully buy a Gatcombe, it is a long way off. I have asked the owner about any faults and he has come up with the following, 
'As for the wear and tear,it's nothing major. The plastic door pockets have some minor damage and the shower compartment window/rear window and offside window all have a small crack in the inner shell which have been prevented from spreading by drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack. The outer shells are fine.' 

I know of the problem with closing the windows the wrong way which results in cracks, but thought it was usually to the outer shell? I am thinking these faults will be common, are they something to be concerned about, I don't want to be replacing three windows, I believe they are expensive.

mcubbin

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gatcombe faults

Post by George.. on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi , we have a Gatcombe and I forgot and pulled the window down instead of either raising it first or pressing the retaining pieces, resulting in a two inch crack. This was a couple of years ago and it hasn't spread anymore since.
George
George..

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile http://www.stoppsblog.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks for the reply George, is your crack on the inside, never having seen one of these windows I am trying to understand why it would result in a leak.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Yes the cracks are on the inside, when I bought my van from a dealer, I refuse to have it when I saw the cracks in both side windows, dealer replaced with two new complete windows and frames from AS, had to replace the frames as well ,as the size of the new windows were different to the originals, they were obsolete, they cost £600 +  cannot remember whether that was for both or each, plus fitting, it was done under warranty. my model is the same as a Gatcombe.

Hope this is of some help, I wouldn`t have accepted the van as it was with cracked windows, although I had paid a deposit the week before. The cracks weren`t apparent when I first viewed the van. that is just me, if you can live with the cracks ,or have the windows replaced, which I think is worth it on these vans.

Good luck
Margaret

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word missing)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 am

Thank you, from the replies to this post and others, I understand the problem.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by George.. on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am

Hi again, just looked at the crack it's only about an inch and is where you would expect it to be , inside and from the fitting half way up the window. As the Gatcombe is the top of range van of its size they are few and far between on the market(we looked for two years). As important as the general condition is that the engine is the 2.5 TDI as these are heavy vans and if like us you take to the alps etc you will need the power.
Good luck,George
George..

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George.. on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:10 am

Sorry I should have said it doesn't and can't leak as it's inside. If the one you're after is the same I personally wouldn't let it be a deal breaker as they really are a sought after van.
George
George..

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks George, although the crack is inside, from other posts it seems that the crack can cause delamination, I would imagine something like a domestic double glazing unit where the seal has gone.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum