Executive 50th Anniversary Limited Edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Executive 50th Anniversary Limited Edition

Post by Executive on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am

For sale very reluctantly due only to ongoing long term health issues as after a lifetime of motor caravanning this is our ideal van, 2011 Peugeot 2.2 HDI  Executive 50th Anniversary with mileage warranted at under 9000 miles only, asking price £39,995.
We are unable to prepare and maintain the van properly and have entrusted it to Wilkins Motorhomes near Stroud where Mel Wilkins the proprietor will be happy to talk to you or arrange viewing, test drive, p/x, service, new MOT, warranty and anything else that you may wish.
I can advise the vehicle's fully known hisory from new and I am also available to chat or for background info and it is possible that an older van or a boat might be considered by us as a private p/x?
Executive

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Executive 50th Anniv
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Executive 50th Anniversary Limited Edition

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm assuming this is Ricky's (profile still exists) and surprised it's not sold.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Yes Paul, I'm Ricky but the site would not let me logon as Ricky over a period of several months so I  created a new profile!
I'm surprised it has not sold too!
Looking at others on the internet it seems fairly priced and I know Mel does a good job of preparation and warranty. We saw it a few weeks back and it is looking good!
Maybe it's the combination of private and trade that is a deterrent, but it shouldn't be as it offers the best of both worlds, a known history of a genuine van with extras and good support if it is ever needed.
Hope the world is treating you well and you are getting away often enough, we miss our van like crazy but it would be foolish to try and use it again, much as we are tempted!
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:13 pm

I wish I could do a deal on it but just that bit more than we want to spend plus her indoors wants a panel Van. Good luck with it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:49 pm

I think we would be more inclined to consider a smaller older panel van for days out more than a coachbuilt for away months.
We bought the Executive after having a Warwick Duo for two years and finding it a bit cramped and the increase in living space and ease of living improvement is huge considering the Executive is not much larger overall than the Boxer panel van.
In normal use the exec also drives as well as a panel van, quiet and comfortable etc unless you want to hurtle around when a panel van is probably more nimble!
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 am

Open to sensible offers, so why not have a look, take a test drive and consider making an offer?
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am

We had a good look around an Executive last year at Rosemarkie , really nice van, lots of storage and looked very comfy.
Hope you sell soon.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Executive wrote:Yes Paul, I'm Ricky but the site would not let me logon as Ricky over a period of several months so I  created a new profile!
I'm surprised it has not sold too!
Looking at others on the internet it seems fairly priced
and I know Mel does a good job of preparation and warranty. We saw it a few weeks back and it is looking good!
Maybe it's the combination of private and trade that is a deterrent, but it shouldn't be as it offers the best of both worlds, a known history of a genuine van with extras and good support if it is ever needed.
Hope the world is treating you well and you are getting away often enough, we miss our van like crazy but it would be foolish to try and use it again, much as we are tempted!

It's tempting, as I don't think that current vans offer the same level of build quality as the monocoques, there will never be any more made, and they are all getting older.

The problem is, as with our 2005 (2006/7 model) Exec, that it's the oldest vans that hold their value best.

We think that ours could be worth around 20-24K, where a 2000 van on the older chassis is still worth up to 14-18K. (You valuations may differ of course)
This makes a 2011 van which is only 6 years younger look very expensive in comparison.
I'm not saying that a 2011 Exec isn't worth 40K, I'm saying that the older ones hold their value too well and thus devalue the newer ones.

What do other monocoque owners think?

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm not a monocoque owner, but I think what you're suggesting makes sense - with that type of conversion it's easier to make an older van look very much like a newer one, while it's nowhere near as easy with a scabby old van conversion...

It may also be worth having a think about your pricing psychology. The idea of taking five pounds off to make a figure look smaller can work on lesser amounts, but for most people, £39,995 is the same as £40k. It might be worth starting with a figure that is materially less than £40k - maybe something like £38,600 - but being tougher when people try to talk the price down (which they always will at that price level).
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks guys, some interesting observations there.

Having looked at many I reckon that this batch of Executive Anniversary are better made and feel a lot more durable than most of their contempories from other makers, and so they should be given their astronomocal new price!
I would say that the older vans are certainly better built than the newer vans but as they age so wear and tear gradually reduces their value and visual appeal, plus the need for repairs can start to impact more on reliability if you are unlucky.
Then there is the legislative and taxation future for all diesel engined vehicles to consider and the newer the van the less impact that may, or may not, have? The future possible restrictions for the older van does not look so promising especially for use abroad? 
But what do I know as the 'experts' who look to control these things politically rather than via proper engineering advances don't know what they are doing either!
If you look at the value now compared to the price of any van when it was new, generally speaking the older the van the better the corelation and in that respect I think the last of the Monocoques is a future classic in waiting.
After all only 50 were made and a lot more than 50 of previous monocques were made, and they are all getting older!
There is no doubt whatsoever that the newer post 2007 Boxers drive and handle considerably better and quieter than their predecessors, but you would expect that.
The very last of the old cab style Boxers/Ducatos were a very well sorted very reliable van and it took Fiat a few years to get the replacement right, but by about 2010 they were pretty reliable and comfortable and looking back I doubt I would want to buy an early X2/50 .
I've had Talismans / Executives for many many years as they have always done the job well for us, from the early Talbot Express Mark 1, then Mark 2,  then Boxers 1992, 1996, 2000, 2006 and 2011  and every van, all bought used and all at least three years old at purchase, has performed well and been pretty reliable for us over many miles and the newer you get the better they are, as you would expect.
The Talbots were very rust prone but that seems mainly to have been cured in the Boxers but again the newer the van the better the protection and the better the durability without nasty holes appearing in the cab and chassis.
We're away for a few days but if you are interested I'm happy to chat by email, or why not visit Mel Wilkins, see it, try it, talk about it, and make an offer if you like it, after all how many of thes, if indeed any others are for sale anywhere, has a genuine warranted 8000 miles only on the clock?
The above is of course purely a personal view based on my limited experience of some 50 years of motor caravanning via a lot of different vans!

Regarding price, £38,000 would buy it with no px!
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Update - we are contemplating having the van back and selling it ourselves in a week or so in which case a lower figure than £38k would be considered. However this would mean a 'sold as seen, tried and tested' deal, with a new MOT but no warranty whatsoever. I am not aware of any faults and if I were I would either get 'em fixed or advise any buyer accordingly.
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrgeoffrey on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Ricky not sure if you have your Executive back home yet but as you can probably see from my first post I'm looking to buy my first Autosleeper and although yours would have been out of my price range via a broker it may just about be affordable privately. I tried to PM you but as a newbie I have insufficient posts to do so and also I am unable to provide my email until I have been on the forum for 7 days so perhaps you could PM me and then maybe I can provide  my email address in a response.Thanks Geoff
Mrgeoffrey

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Cheers Geoff, PM sent to you.
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Graham new member

Post by Graham Irvine on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Ricky,
Just found this thread re your 50th anniversary van can you let me know if the van has been sold either privately or through the dealer or is it still available and if so where ?
Graham Irvine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Executive on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks everyone for your input, just to advise that the van is now sold and we have been paid.
The deal was handled by Mel Wilkins of Wilkins Motorhomes near Stroud and we are on balance pleased with the way it was handled under their brokerage scheme and with the outcome which realised us much more than a direct sale would have. It did take longer than expected for various reasons but as we were in no rush for the cash that did not matter and we would probably use the service again.
So there ends my 50+ years of motor caravanning era, it's a sad moment but it's been good to see so much of Europe from the Nordkapp to the Sahara with hardly ever a site being used and we have lots of special memories, friends made along the way, photos and souvenirs.
Good luck and safe travels to one and all and keep moving on to see what is around the next bend!
Executive

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Executive 50th Anniversary Special Edition

Post by Graham Irvine on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply i'm disappointed but not surprised the van has gone it looked lovely just wish i had found the thread earlier!  If you would not mind i would appreciate the chance to talk to you about your experiences with the van as i continue to look for one. Thanks again for responding and very best wishes on your retirement from motorhoming it sounds as though you have many memories to fall back on when you get withdrawall symptoms  atb graham
Graham Irvine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum