Clubman Battery advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman Battery advice

Post by Bmwdumptruck on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Has anyone looked at adding an extra battery to a clubman?  I have a sleap apnea cpap machine that i have to use every night. This isn't a problem when on a site with EHU.  But we're off to the highlands next week and have a couple of nights planned off grid. 
Now a couple of years back we took our then caravan to Dunsfold for one of the Vulcans last displays, where we were off grid for two nights.  So I took a spare battery and an inverter which kind of did the trick.  So I'm thinking of fixng a second 75ah battery under the passenger seat, which i could just recharge with a trickle charger once on site the following night, or I'm wondering if its possible to connect it either into the habitation charging system, or just in parallel with the van battery.  Any electrical wiz's out there that can advise?
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman Battery advice

Post by Cymro on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:48 am

It wasn't possible to fit an additional battery under the passenger seat of our Clubman because the charger unit was under there. I suppose it could be moved, but I don't recall the space as being large enough.

However, I'm intrigued as to why your CPAP needs to be run off an inverter. My wife's NHS machine runs off both mains and 12v, so no need for power-hungry inverter. Are you sure yours won't run off 12v?

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 am

My clubman had one 75ah leisure battery under the bonnet and a 48ah battery under the drivers seat. Ive now upgraded the leisure batteries under the bonnet to 2 x 100 ah gel batteries that sit very snug side by side and one more 100ah leisure gel battery under the passengers side beside the zig unit with relevant asbestos blocks between for safety. My 4000w inverter is positioned in front of the passenger seat behind my wifes legs and does not interfere with her at all. Ive also upgraded the cab battery to a 100ah deep cell under the drivers seat with an umbilical chord which is switched and fused across to my leisures just in case the cabs battery flattens and i need a slave.

These 3 x100ah gel bateries are serviced by 3 x 100w flexi solar panels installed on the roof with simple sikaflex and they are solid. Ive got a 50 amp MPPT solar charger which is fused and all cables from the solar panels and to the batteries are industry approved 50 amp screened and hidden behind the cupboards and fused. 

Ive got as much power as i need and run a charger for my bike batteries, laptop, hair dryer, microwave and any amount of lights that we care to use. Trust me, you cant have enough power in a van and if you have it, life is so much easier and comfortable.

Sadly A brain tumour has rendered me unable to drive her so she goes up for sale after ive finished all the little jobs. Shes had a full body makeover now im doing the underneath and cab and away she goes to a very very lucky new owner.

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 am

Well I managed by borrowing the new battery we've just fitted to our runabout Panda, stored under the passenger seat, connected via an inverter. The following night we recharged it using a small motorbike charger once on site.  
My machine has a 24volt input and has a very specific plug, according to Papworth theres no option for alternate supply other than a recharchable battery pack which they don't actually offer.  I did look up what one cost and it was silly money, hence I went inverter.  
I'd still be very tempted to move the habitation battery from under the sink, along with a second, to under the front seats. I'm pretty sure two would allow me to run my machine without effecting other 12v things in the van for the odd night we freecamp.
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum