Amethyst query

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amethyst query

Post by Add6598 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 am

Hi All, hope everyone is out and about and enjoying the weather.
Would like to call on the expertise of the hive mind if I may.
I've read many times of the attributes of the autosleeper legend ( smiley transit)  with some believing it was one of the best autosleeper models created. 
Does anyone know if the same upgrades were present in the similarly aged amethyst? 
Also, from what I've managed to find, the amethyst is around the same length as the legend at around 6.1m. Can anyone confirm this? It appears smaller in pictures but I'm guessing that's just a bit of an optical illusion!
Add6598

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None...yet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amethyst query

Post by Foubies on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi.  We have a 1996 Amethyst and it is 6.16m long smile!

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Add6598 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks foubies, Ive been googling like mad and kept finding different figures. I appreciate your reply.
Add6598

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm

The Amethyst is a bit shorter than the Legend but still a good sized van and it was made upto and including the Mk7 Transit available as the Gem.  The Amethyst was the last monocoque produced on a Ford chassis
I like them but there again in my eyes the Tranny is a better base vehicle than the Boxer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Add6598 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks Roger, to be honest I'd never really considered them as they were that bit bigger and I've always had 6m as a cut off in my mind. 
However I've recently started considering the future and I worry we may outgrow some of the models I'd been looking at sooner rather than later. The amethyst with the seatbelts in the back seems like it may be significantly more 'future proof' than a clubman or executive/talisman which would otherwise be my first choices.
When I've tried to do a bit more digging though i've struggled to find much information and what I have found has often been misleading.
I'll keep looking, thanks for replying.
Add6598

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamSwindley on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 pm

The mark 6/7 Amethyst is 6.88m with athe standard bike rack. I have one if you have any specific questions.
GrahamSwindley

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst SL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John M. on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:22 am

We had an Amethyst which was based on the MWB transit and have now got an Amethyst Gem based on the LWB.  We find the slightly extra space makes it a far better van for extended use but would really recommend either.
I agree with Roger - the real wheel drive transit is a much better base vehicle.
John
John M.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Add6598 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks graham and John for your replies. 
Budget restrictions mean I'd be looking at an older model rather than the gem.

As it happens we're viewing a 4 berth gatcombe this week, it's a bit unexpected but it's a well looked after example and a price I can't ignore. 
I do think however I'd previously been hasty to overlook transit models, and depending how this week's viewing goes I think it's safe to say that an amethyst will be top of the list.
Thanks again
Add6598

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum