Amethyst questions (of many)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amethyst questions (of many)

Post by HairyFool on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 am

Checking around the vehicle (1999 Auto Sleeper Amethyst) after having just purchased I was going through the wiring. These tend to be areas where bodges are done through its 18 year history.  A couple of questions

Alarm bells ring when I find scotchlocks being used and behind the Zig panel I find a link wire has been installed between the Vans White cable (+12V?) and the White with black trace connecting to the Zig panel itself.

Anybody aware of this mod? What is the wire with trace on the Zig do?

Above the Cooker/Sink are two cupboards and facing the rear on the right side is a mains socket. It appears to be newer that the standard sockets and wired to a lead and 13A plug hanging down the curtain to the right of the "cocktail cabinet". Is that a normal place for a socket to be located? shrugg Putting power on should allow me to prove if it is live but the object of the exercise is to make sure the van is safe before I do.

Does the Amethyst normally have an external mains socket under the nearside main window. Externally properly installed but internal wiring leaves a bit to be desired including using a domestic 32A wiring puck as a junction block.

The handbook refers to an access panel to get to the water pump under the front dinette seat. I see nothing that is obviously removable.
HairyFool

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amethyst questions (of many)

Post by John M. on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 am

Our previous Amethyst had both the socket in the rear cupboard and the external "TV" socket.  The accompanying vehicle paperwork showed that both had been retro fitted by different dealers at different times.  Ours were well done but obviously all retro work will be of varying standard.
Hope this helps.
John M.

Male

Member Age : 67
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amethyst questions (of many)

Post by HairyFool on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks John, that's what I needed to know. Done properly they needed to be taken back to the consumer unit to comply with wiring regs. Whoever did it couldn't be bothered so both have been terminated with a 13A plug to connect to the existing socket by the cocktail cabinet.
HairyFool

Male

Member Age : 61
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum