Are prices becoming over inflated

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are prices becoming over inflated

Post by mcubbin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I have been looking for a 2.5 tdi Clubman for about 3 months now, regularly look at ebay, autotrader and gumtree, to see whats available and what the prices are like and whats in demand. It seems to me that while reasonably priced 2.4's, around the £10,000 sell quite well, the 2.5's around the £20,000 seem to sit for ages, in fact most that I noticed when I started looking are still for sale. A member on here had a 2000 Gatcombe 2.5, for sale in classifieds for 'around '£16,000, which sold reasonably quickly, which suggests to me, that is the more realistic price, for a van of this age with low miles and in good condition. Another which I was very cheesed off about was one I spotted in gumtree a week or so ago, 2005 Clubman, 32000 miles, fsh, I called the seller who said he would take £18,000 before I could book the train someone got there before me, perhaps a little too cheap but possibly a similar sum to what he would have got in a trade in.

I realise dealers will be putting a significant mark up on vans, but some private sellers seem to be using dealer prices as a gauge to set their own, perhaps knocking a £1000 off. I have no experience of buying or selling Clubmans or any other Autosleeper, 
but from what I have heard they are popular vehicles surely if they are realistically priced they would be selling?

mcubbin

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are prices becoming over inflated

Post by -mojo- on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:27 pm

In my experience it's nothing new - it was like that 14 years ago when I was looking to replace my Rapport, and 4 years ago when I was looking for a Trooper (and didn't find one) and 3 years ago when we were looking again for a Trooper.

Dealers will look for maximum profit, often at the expense of sitting on stock for months, and many private sellers copy the dealers.

A big part of the problem is that you are looking during peak season - a bit like me trying (and failing) to find a cheap pair of sandals in mid summer. If you look in October/November you are likely to find people who have listed things, over-priced, for months and are starting to get desperate. Often the expiry of insurance and the issue of zero NCD on a new policy will focus the mind of private sellers...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:39 pm

I think you are right, I will just take my time and see what happens in October, unless I see someone selling at a fair price.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Pratt on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Mcubbin: In my experience a 2005 Clubman at £18,000 is ludicrously cheap. There must have been a big catch. If genuine it was one of the very last monocoque Clubmans made, if not the last. Mine is Nov 2004 and I know that very few were made after it. I've had mine for 5 years and could probably sell it for more than I paid. A superb motorhome!
Roger Pratt

Male

Vehicle Year : November

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm

I agree that they are generally superb motorhomes, but to say £18,000 for a 12 year old vehicle is ludicrous, I think is an overstatement, it may be cheap in comparison to what is being asked by dealers. Dealers keep upping the prices, some people pay them thinking that's not a problem, because like you, they expect to get their money back or even a profit. But like the housing market, this creates a bubble, because the prices are artificially inflated. I have been looking at these vans for quite a few months, checking the asking prices and noting how long they are taking to sell. The only one that sold the day it was listed was the 2005 at £18000, rather than grinding out a sale, maybe the seller considered what they had paid relative to the use and enjoyment they had taken from it and considered £18000 a fair return. Most that were listed months ago are still for sale. There is a 2004 Gatcombe on Autotrader at the moment, started at £19,900, a week or so later it is down to £18,500 and still for sale, I am tempted by that one apart from the fact that it has done 75,000 miles.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Pratt on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:03 pm

OK, good points. Thank you. Assuming the Gatcombe is a VW 2.5 TDi, then 75,000 is not a very high mileage. These power units do have a long life as long as properly serviced. Good hunting!
Roger Pratt

Male

Vehicle Year : November

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcubbin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks, I am sure I will get one soon. It is a 2.5 tdi and I agree 75,000 is low for a vw, I had a t5 2.5 tdi with 167,000 when I sold it, but if I buy a motorhome with 75,000 and keep it for 4 years doing average mileage I am now trying to sell a van with 100,000 miles, again I don't think this would be a problem in running the van, but I get the impression that , in the motorhome world buyers want low mileage.

mcubbin

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Don't know if your sold on the 2.5 engines only?, Autotrader has a 2.4 2001 (51) for sale at Nsv caravans Burnham on sea.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm

The problem is the market reached rock bottom in 2008 in the recession. There were some bargains about then whether it be cars, motorhomes, caravans.

Since 2008 the demand for motorhomes went up drastically, the banks stopped lending money for finance which created the supply and demand problem we have today.

Added to that the clubman/gatcombe was approaching £40,000 which is probably around £70,000 if made today.

Hence prices today for used examples aren't much different from 2008 and older models such as the T25 have gone up in value much like the bay window and split screens before.

Don't assume dealers are over inflating prices when they have to source that stock from somewhere and its the sellers who own the clubmans who are keeping the prices buoyant.

If buyers refused to meet the asking prices then the values would drop but this doesn't look like happening.

A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by howdenbiker on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 pm

I started looking seriously at Clubmans but in the end bought a brand new 2 berth caravan for the price being asked for 20 year old motorhomes.
howdenbiker

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm

howdenbiker wrote:I started looking seriously at Clubmans but in the end bought a brand new 2 berth caravan for the price being asked for 20 year old motorhomes.

Yes but no but, what will the caravan be worth in ten years, compared with the Clubman? winks

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Add6598 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 am

I know how you feel, I too spent a very long time looking.
It's perhaps also worth remembering that clubmans and gatcombe's will likely always fetch a premium because they overlap several markets.. I've had a few vw's and it sounds like you're no stranger to the 'scene'. Vw motorhomes have really taken off over the last 18 months ( though obviously they've been around much longer) with specific forums appearing, dedicated areas at shows and some people undertaking some pretty serious modifications.
Then there are the autosleeper enthusiasts, with nearly all autosleepers commanding a higher price than their respective alternatives.
And finally, some potential buyers may be completely unaware of all of the above but just love how compact both models are, if you are looking for a small motorhome that has everything you need, both of these would be very appealing.

The good thing of course is that you can be more reassured that you'll see a good return on your investment should you want to sell in a few years, even if you have to pay more to begin with.

Going against the grain a little, I was searching for about 2 years with varying degrees of seriousness and found that prices were, if anything, a bit better in Summer. I appreciate that's counter intuitive and many would disagree, but my observation was that many more were for sale in the summer which seemed to keep prices competitive, over the winter when fewer were on the market, prices began to creep back up.

If it makes you feel any better, having recently purchased a gatcombe, I can at least confirm that all the searching and saving was worth it and I've been very, very impressed.

Good luck with your search.

Ps, I'm not sure of you're stance on modifications, but adding a turbo to a n/a 2.4 seems to have become a more mainstream upgrade. That may widen your search if it's something you would consider.
Add6598

Male

Member Age : 31
Auto-Sleeper : None...yet
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum