AutoSleeper Legend Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AutoSleeper Legend Help!

Post by Miss Daisy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 pm

New owner today of fabulous, ancient ford legend autosleeper and although I have read the book, I am totally embarrassed to say I don't know where the water tank is?
Unbelievable, I know but cannot find any info about water tank location.

Miss Daisy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Central Scotland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AutoSleeper Legend Help!

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:06 pm

The generic advice is: find the water filler cap and follow the pipework - it must (in theory) lead to the water tank!

But that's not always as easy as it sounds, because IIRC they moved the filler location about on the Legend. I ~think~ on the older versions it's under the bonnet (like it was on our Mk2 Transit based conversion).
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you for replying. I have read the specifications from cover to cover and nowhere is a water tank or water filler cap mentioned. It is 30 yrs old (1988) and in great condition, but I have never owned a motor home before and am clueless! I am 70 yrs old hence the total lack of knowledge. Can't wait to get going, so I suppose a stream and pail would do!

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 pm

Sadly that is not at all unusual - AutoSleepers manuals of that time were seldom very useful!

Anyway, I'll rephrase it as a question: Have you looked under the bonnet for a plain filler cap? They were often finished in chrome.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 pm

I have two suggestions, neither being based on any knowledge of the Ford Legend.
1. It may be under a bench seat, actually inside the van.
2. It hasn't got a water tank.
Hope it turns out to be not the latter !
Keith

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks Keith. I too hope it's not the latter, but heigh ho it will be fun whatever. Night.

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 am

Miss Daisy wrote:New owner today of fabulous, ancient ford legend autosleeper and although I have read the book, I am totally embarrassed to say I don't know where the water tank is?
Unbelievable, I know but cannot find any info about water tank location.
Hi Miss Daisy
Welcome to the forum from soggy Bridlington .
Boaby (expats)
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 pm

I have put the new propane cylinder in the motor home with a new regulator. How dinInswitchbon and off the gas?

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 pm

The exact location will no doubt vary from year to year, but typically A/S fit a "manifold" in one of the cupboards, which has an inlet from the pipework from the cylinder/regulator and a red tap controlling the supply to each each of the gas appliances. Usually there is a printed diagram beside it showing which way is on and which is off, but this may have gone missing.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Thank you. What is a manifold?

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:31 pm

I'd be inclined to ask someone who has a caravan or motorhome to show you how to turn on the gas for the first time. It's best to be safe. It's also not always possible to give detailed instructions on the Forum without being totally familiar and sure of your van's layout.

That said, if you have (as you stated) already put the new regulator on the cylinder, and put the cylinder in its locker, then the next job is to connect the flexible hose which is inside the locker to the regulator. You'll need to put a loose jubilee clip of the correct size on to the hose, and slide it a few inches along the hose out of the way; and then push the hose all the way on to the regulator. I use a drop of washing-up liquid to lubricate it. When the hose completely covers the regulator's outlet, then slide down the jubilee clip and tighten it so that the tube is sound to the regulator.

Now go inside the van. Find the Gas master tap and make sure it's off (usually pointing at 90 degrees across the metal tubing). Likewise check that all the hob taps and fridge and heater are off.

Go outside, and open the knurled tap on top of the gas bottle. [If you hear a hiss or smell gas, TURN IT OFF and get help.]

Go inside and turn on the master tap, and go to the hob and turn on one burner. You should soon hear / smell gas after the air has been purged out of the pipes.

Lighting the fridge may take many attempts because the gas has to reach it and purge the air from the pipes. 

But I suggest that you follow the advice in my first paragraph above unless you're confident. Ask someone who knows.

Good luck!

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 am

What a fantastic reply. Straightforward and step by step. Thank you for taking all the time to write it. I am resolved to get it done today.
Only thing is to find it the gas master switch, then fingers crossed. However, I will visit a garage that sells a few Campervans about 10 miles away, as that was sound advice as well.
Very grateful!

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Daisy on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 pm

A big thank you. Got the gas sorted and even lit the top burner. Now to find the master electrical switch. I think it might be at the side of the passenger seat!! Strange but there is a switch there with two small switches beside it.
Really complicated all this but can't wait to get going! :-)

Miss Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum