Rain water on engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rain water on engine

Post by chalkywhite on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:34 pm

I have a new 2017 Peugeot Boxer based motorhome. Rain water is dripping onto the oil filler cap. I went out yesterday whilst it was raining to try and locate where it was coming from. The best I could see was the water is running down over what I suspect is the wiper motor and then dripping on to the filler cap. I will need to have a better look when time permits. The van is on level ground and stationary. None of the drainage pipes in the scuttle shelf ( I think thats the right name ) are blocked. Does any one else have this problem in similar age vans.

chalkywhite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rain water on engine

Post by Justus2 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am

Yes , I believe that rain water entering the engine compartment is a common problem. On ours I discovered one of the rainwater pipes was leaking from a joint above the rocker cover. Some insulating tape has cured it. Its grey in the picture.... The rest comes in through rain entering the grill in the bonnet and bouncing around till it wets the engine. I understand some silver screens cover that bonnet grill, or a sheet of plastic over the engine whilst in storage would protect the engine if you can guarantee to remove it before starting it up....

Last edited by Justus2 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Justus2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 am

Justus2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the comments, will have a good look to try and find source of leak.

chalkywhite

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Parkes on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Yup - common problem which I have just overcome by using an extra long external silver screen that covers the air intake grill and scuttle. Bone dry now when static and top mounted injector recess not filling with water anymore when laid up (Mk 6 Transit base vehicle on an A/S Rienza).

Keeps it warm inside too - good thermal protection and no inside condensation.

Cured our problem as having the whole scuttle & drainage re-sealed failed due to poor design/materials - not limited to Ford vehicles though. 

Hope this helps. 

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/acatalog/Longer-Length-external-windscreen-cover--.html

Peter Parkes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Not right for the owner to overcome it on a new motor, have you spoke to dealer about the problem.
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Parkes on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Mine is not new and there is are a number of threads about this topic on here and other sites - I agree with you on a new vehicle but it is not a new or an isolated problem.
Peter Parkes

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water in engine bay

Post by chalkywhite on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Booked my new  warwick xl into a Peugeot dealer  yesterday to investigate water leaking into engine bay and poorly fitting plastic body trim. I left them with a short but detailed note stating  exactly were the water was entering the engine bay ( Between the gap in the windscreen  and pillar were it meets the bonnet). As I suspected it was a complete wast of time. Their diagnosis was, none of the drain pipes were blocked and the water entering was due to the design of the vehicle which they were unable to do anything about. They did say that they would inform Peugeut of this problem and this could prompt them to do something if it was deemed to be a big issue with a large number of vehicles.   What about the poor fitting body trim - Take it to a Peugeut approved body shop.

chalkywhite

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Parkes on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:17 am

Not surprised and not acceptable - if I remember correctly, under the Consumer Protection Act your contract is with the merchant (the retailer) and entirely their responsibility to ensure it is fit for purpose. 

Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 are against the retailer - the company that sold you the product - not the manufacturer, so you must take your claim to the retailer. Are they trying to sort this out for you?

Hopefully they are supporting you but I would be taking precautions and recording everything in writing in case this needs to get legal.

For more information have a look here:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Hopefully they are a good retailer and will be working with you to get this sorted as that is always the best way.
Peter Parkes

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am

You would have thought that all the problems with water getting into the engine/transaxle bays in the passed from the 1996 Sevel vans that this problem would have had been resolved by all manufactures years ago instead of spreading and getting worse. Obviously the design team live in the Sahara desert or California. Not even the old Talbot/Sevel vans had this problem, well not until the scuttle panel below the front screen started to rust in the bottom corners and that was another silly design fault. confused3  It's amazing that the engine, brake, transmission, suspension and electric system technology moves on apace but the bonnet still leaks.
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum