Cannich Campsite: Glen Affric

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cannich Campsite: Glen Affric

Post by Foubies on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

http://www.highlandcamping.co.uk

Beautiful, tree-lined site about 10 minutes walk from Strathglass.

Large sites with EHU & individual water taps. Hard standing and grass. Quiet and peaceful. £22 per night.

Well maintained, very clean. Lovely, hot, push-button showers (free). Wash-up area with hot water. Washers/dryers around £4 per large load. TV room. Chemical waste site. Fresh drinking water on tap.  Kids' play area.  Toilets kept spotlessly clean.

The Bog Cotton Cafe is on site: 9am-5pm 24/7 which does the BEST coffees.  A small shop is attached.

Strathglass has The Slaters' Arms, a dog-friendly pub with good beer and fair food.  The SPAR shop is next door and sells everything.

The site owner Matt is a lovely bloke who is extremely helpful.

The midgies were persistent but not unbearable.  The surrounding scenery was just breathtaking.  Lots of short & long walks available. Close to Loch Ness for a day trip.

We loved it and will return.

Female

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cannich Campsite: Glen Affric

Post by boxerman on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Few years since we were there, I don't think it had been opened long. I believe it was the construction camp for the dam in Glen Affric. We liked it too - and the owners.
Did you have a ride / walk into Glen Affric? Never seen so many beautiful dragonflies and birds.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Foubies on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm

We had a walk up to the dam and a bit beyond. Extremely windy! Gorgeous Scots Pine forests with an abundance of birds.

We also had a wander around Loch Affric which is just stunning.  The weather was the usual for that area - bursts of sunshine with showers.  It was quite cold though - and we didn't see any of the famous dragonflies which was a huge disappointment.  However, we thoroughly enjoyed the area.

Female

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 am

Many years ago I stayed in the area with my late father intending to spend a few days walking. We gave up after one night due to the midges. The forest seemed to attract them. I cant remember what time of year but the site owner said it was the worst he had know for years. We moved to the north coast and had a great week with no midges due to the sea breeze.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum