The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rattles

+8
Libraryman2
Hattie
groundhog
Quilter
Cymro
Paramedic
burlingtonboaby
merv
12 posters

Go down

Rattles Empty Rattles

Post by merv Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 15:59

Just back from York Beechwood Grange site and a rattle that we've had since last year has been cured! It was driving me mad (as they do if you let them) and having tried all the usual suspects I couldn't get it even though I thought I knew its location. For months, I've have been trying to persuade my wife to try listening to various bits of the van but she's always refused to take her seat belt off and get up while I've been driving. On the approach to Beechwood Grange there is a rough road that has very little traffic so, up she gets and she found it straightaway!  One of those round push button knobs on the locker doors was the culprit....a little Vaseline and away it goes.
Some trips are very worthwhile!
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Rattles Empty Re: Rattles

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 16:04

A little lubrication makes the world go around .  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 16:20

Yep, can identify with that. Since taking on our present Broadway sixteen months ago, have endured an infernal rattle somewhere about the over cab skylight on hitting potholes or general bad road surfaces. Wife agrees to stand up on the passenger seat if necessary but only when moving on private land. Hope to find the irritating cause in the near future....Perhaps.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 16:55

You're lucky to have such an obliging squeak-detector, Merv! Mine adamantly refuses such a reasonable and practical request.
Incidentally, I didn't know that those push-button catches could be the cause of squeaks. I'll bear that in mind when I run out of other squeaks to cure!
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 20:37

I can identify with this.

We had a really annoying slamming type noise for almost 2 years when in the move. We wedged the polystyrene shower doors, the door waste bin, shelves and everything we could think of. 

One day I had a walk around while driving down an empty stretch of Spanish motorway, and traced to noise to the bike keys which always hang from a plastic hook in a locker and had been banging against the side of the locker.

So simple: so annoying.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 21:13

Cure for all rattles.....drive in France... allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Rattles Empty Little Red Hen China

Post by Hattie Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 21:26

Hi We have just broken one of our Little Red Hen China plates. White with silver rim. Does anyone know where we can get a replacement or does anyone have any we could buy? Thanks
Hattie
Hattie

Female

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 22:19

Infernal rattles are like a good ventriloquist, they make you think the noise is coming from the wrong direction clever little beggars !
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue 13 Aug 2019 - 20:52

After a few years sticking, screwing and padding reckon we are about as rattle free on our travels as it is going to get, today being another wet one thought I would attack the slight rattle in the cab door blinds.
Goodness what a quality item they are, a piece of plastic tube poked through a hole in the frame for the guide with no method off attachment, no wonder they rattle.
Easy to do, just whipped out the screws securing them, including the one that missed the blind frame altogether confused3 and glued the rods in place. Another little rattle gone I hope allthumbz

Of course if ever I want to take them apart I am now in trouble. hugegrins
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Rattles Empty Rattles

Post by Eltel Tue 13 Aug 2019 - 23:36

merv wrote:Just back from York Beechwood Grange site and a rattle that we've had since last year has been cured! It was driving me mad (as they do if you let them) and having tried all the usual suspects I couldn't get it even though I thought I knew its location. For months, I've have been trying to persuade my wife to try listening to various bits of the van but she's always refused to take her seat belt off and get up while I've been driving. On the approach to Beechwood Grange there is a rough road that has very little traffic so, up she gets and she found it straightaway!  One of those round push button knobs on the locker doors was the culprit....a little Vaseline and away it goes.
Some trips are very worthwhile!
Likewise 

I have been putting a thin sliver of a index card in each of the offending buttons, but I will be trying a little Vaseline.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 10:05

Cymro wrote:You're lucky to have such an obliging squeak-detector, Merv! Mine adamantly refuses such a reasonable and practical request. 
My wife has the same response when asked to hunt for rattles when the van is moving, even at little over walking pace on a rough road.
 Surprisingly though, on the occasions we use our bus passes, she has no problem at all walking the full length of a fast moving swaying bus while it's manic driver is attempting to keep to his timetable..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 10:19

bikeralw wrote:
Cymro wrote:You're lucky to have such an obliging squeak-detector, Merv! Mine adamantly refuses such a reasonable and practical request. 
My wife has the same response when asked to hunt for rattles when the van is moving, even at little over walking pace on a rough road.
 Surprisingly though, on the occasions we use our bus passes, she has no problem at all walking the full length of a fast moving swaying bus while it's manic driver is attempting to keep to his timetable..
Al.

You need the Mk 1 Gromit Infallible Rattle Detector: rattles sourced from the comfort of your cab seat at your chosen speed.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 10:51

I wish!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 12:21

Re the buttons: It you cut a square around one of the holes in the edge of an A4 plastic wallet then place that over the thread under the button (see photo) that stops rattle:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It wasn't actually the buttons rattling but the guide wires in that version of Heki - pull fly screen 75% across to stop that rattle.

I stripped gas fire while Chris was driving through Glencoe on first trip out with Wilton as rattle was so annoying.

The worst offenders are bottles, jars or tins banging against the side of a locker/cupboard as the sound boom's throughout the interior woodwork and is very difficult to locate.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 12:30

One trick I do is put the beer bottles in clean socks, then into a cardboard bottle holder.

Bottles in fridge with bubble wrap held on with elastic band.

At the Warner’s Motorhome Exhibition a company called Surfow used to sell a rubber elasticated expandable wrap that I also use around bottles and cans 

Hope my tips help

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 19:05

Eltel wrote:

At the Warner’s Motorhome Exhibition a company called Surfow used to sell a rubber elasticated expandable wrap that I also use around bottles and cans 

Terry
I guess you mean Seaflo.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 19:13

Correct