Tyress Kumho PorTran KC53

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyress Kumho PorTran KC53

Post by tillymintum on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Has anyone used these tyres?  After a blow out on the M56 yesterday I am looking to replace all my tyres.  Blackcircles have suggested the Kumho PorTran KC53 tyres at £66.02 supplied and fitted, but I have not heard of them, just wondered if anyone is using them and can give me some feed back before purchase as sound too good to be true.

Lynne
tillymintum

Female

Posts Posts : 4
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyress Kumho PorTran KC53

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm

I can't commeńt on their use on your van but Kumho are a good tyre, better than budget tyres but not quite at the Continental/Michelin end, with prices to match.

I recently put 4 on my Smart.

I would probably put Continentals on my camper though.

Male

Posts Posts : 1322
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I have never heard of them either.  You have to make a decision to go or choose a branded tyre.   I am aMichelin fan , who own Black Circle but have had good life out of Hancock on the Windsor and more important of interest to you Continental Vanco's on an Executive and would go for one these rather than pay more
Although I have a relative at Black Circle I tend to use the mobile guys- there are a few who operate in the Cheshire area

Male

Posts Posts : 6882
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Les W on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Khumo have been around for years.
I fitted a set on my home built (kit) car in the late 90's.
My Inca has them fitted and they are perfectly ok.
Les W

Male

Posts Posts : 43
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Inca EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tillymintum on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Thank you for the comments, we have decided to play safe and we've gone for Pirelli.  We had a blow out on the motorway scared the life out of me so we're replacing all four.  The motorhome had been sat for three years prior to us purchasing her, so better safe than sorry.
tillymintum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:51 pm

From experience , have found , Khumo to be  perfectly good tyres, fitted to many new cars as original equipment. Gave good mileage and decent grip with progressive break away in the wet when fitted to a couple of our cars from new over the years.
           I remember the days of the Michelin zx, s which lasted a lifetime but had you going backwards through a hedge at the first sign of damp roads!
kaspian

Male

Posts Posts : 192
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flywheel1935 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Snap, blowout on the M4 Swindon on Tuesday. (Hottest day of year) totally destroyed the tyre and light damage to alloy rim, (this will be recycled as the spare, as current spare 15", but alloys are 16"
Formula I tyre centre will be fitting 4 x Hankook made High Load tyres tomorrow. Cheched other tyres on van and small cracks in sidewall, probably from lack of use and UV rays.
flywheel1935

Male

Posts Posts : 17

View user profile http://www.bantamtrailers.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tillymintum on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:53 pm

flywheel1935 wrote: Snap, blowout on the M4 Swindon on Tuesday. (Hottest day of year) totally destroyed the tyre and light damage to alloy rim, (this will be recycled as the spare, as current spare 15", but alloys are 16"
Formula I tyre centre will be fitting 4 x Hankook made High Load tyres tomorrow. Cheched other tyres on van and small cracks in sidewall, probably from lack of use and UV rays.

It was extremely hot on the Sunday when ours blew on the M56, after checking the other tyres even though the tread is good we could see some cracks and decided to play it safe rather than sorry and replace all four tyres.
tillymintum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flywheel1935 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 am

tillymintum wrote:
flywheel1935 wrote: Snap, blowout on the M4 Swindon on Tuesday. (Hottest day of year) totally destroyed the tyre and light damage to alloy rim, (this will be recycled as the spare, as current spare 15", but alloys are 16"

It was extremely hot on the Sunday when ours blew on the M56, after checking the other tyres even though the tread is good we could see some cracks and decided to play it safe rather than sorry and replace all four tyres.
 I've gone for a tyre with the highest 'load rating'  at 900kg/tyre as most motorhomes will weigh more than the basic base vehicle that the cab section uses, high speed not being the main criteria .
flywheel1935

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

kaspian wrote:From experience , have found , Khumo to be  perfectly good tyres, fitted to many new cars as original equipment. Gave good mileage and decent grip with progressive break away in the wet when fitted to a couple of our cars from new over the years.
           I remember the days of the Michelin zx, s which lasted a lifetime but had you going backwards through a hedge at the first sign of damp roads!
Would that be on the electric brae ,Kaspian     hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 5871
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flywheel1935 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Fitted 4 X LAUFENN ( By Hankook) X VAN FIT, 102/104, Loaded at 900kg per tyre, less than £70/per Fitted by Formula 1 tyre centre Kings Lynn. Look good to last some decent miles, and put up with dreadful UK roads !!!
flywheel1935

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross Today at 1:24 pm

I'm just about to replace our wheels from 15 to 16 inch and think goin fit Falken vano, think good mid range tire but don't think there are bad tires out there these days

nerdycross

Male

Posts Posts : 87
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flywheel1935 Today at 2:25 pm

Just driven up the M11, which was like a lake !!!!, new tyres ( LAUFENNS ) done about 100miles, so nicely scrubbed in, 
performed very well, no aquaplaning and good grip. very pleased. Worth considering.
flywheel1935

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum