Step Ladders and Uneven Ground

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Step Ladders and Uneven Ground

Post by Liam on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 am

On Friday I was getting ready for our 3 week trip Cornwall and doing the last minute jobs before the off - I decided to give the roof lights a final polish! 
All done with just the one small corner which was on the other side of the van - slightly sloping ground - no problem I have done it many times before. 
Placed the steps on the uneven ground and carefully ascended - did the job and was obviously not as careful descending - 3rd step from bottom it went one way whilst I went the other!!  Net result was a dislocated ankle several bones broken in my foot, a trip to A&E and a very angry wife!!
So the trip to Cornwall is off and I am now hopping around on one foot.
The moral of the story is do not work on a ladder off uneven ground - which from here on in I will follow - lesson learnt! 
Liam
Liam

Male

Posts Posts : 246
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Step Ladders and Uneven Ground

Post by fenderbender on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 am

Oops, there are times when I've had to learn the hard way.
Hope you get better soon.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Posts Posts : 292
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Oh dear, that's most unfortunate, Liam. I hope you recover completely and soon.  And thanks for reminding me that what I did this morning - cleaning green off plastic guttering off a high step-ladder - was not without real risks. A friend of mine broke his back, and is now immobile, falling off a 4-step ladder in his porch.

And I still do it..... mainly because there are places which I cannot reach from my sturdy step-platform. The roof of the Nuevo is the worst.  If only there was a cheap and really reliable and permanent self-cleaning compound which could be applied to plastic surfaces upon manufacture, it would significantly reduce the number of accidents involving ladders.

Best wishes, and hope you're not in too much pain.
Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to sign off)
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 1316
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks Dave and Cymro, 
As you say the consequences can be life changing and its only when it happens to you that you realize the risk you were taking - and in my case its been learned the hard way. The irony is that I have a proper tower system which I use when giving the roof a real clean - but too lazy to get it out and erected for cleaning a roof light. 
So its foot up now for the next 6 weeks and be glad it was not more serious. Meanwhile we have had to put our trip to Cornwall on hold - my wife is not keen on driving the van.
Liam.
Liam

Male

Posts Posts : 246
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your injury Liam and hope it heals quickly for both yours and your wife's sake.

I'm terrible for messing around on and over reaching from wonky ladders  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 534
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, commiserations Liam. I hope you make a speedy recovery and get back out on the road soon. It's the kind of accident that could easily happen to most of us, that is those of us who think it won't and/or consider ourselves invincible   twiddle_thumbs

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 634
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Sorry to read about about your mishap Liam,hope you repair soon so you Can get away,albeit late.
I fell of my podium 5 years ago, broke ribs front and rear, my misses didnt speak to me either.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 5873
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your accident and loss of holiday.

You do realise of course that you are now a living version of the old Irish joke,   " what do you call an Irishman with a limp ?"  ..... Liam !

Hope you don't take offence, I'm Irish and I don't.

Speedy recovery.

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 363
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: