air con - repair or replace?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

air con - repair or replace?

Post by steve00136 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:07 am

Our habitation air con unit is showing fault code F04 again. Last time the van was under warranty this time I feel an expensive repair bill is imminent. Now considering whether to bite the bullet and replace it with a quieter new unit. Has anyone done this? Is it a diy job?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire

View user profile http://www.uk-sites.com

Back to top Go down

Re: air con - repair or replace?

Post by dbroada on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 am

The Truma one fitted to my Nuevo came with a quite comprehensive installation guide but whether that makes it a diy job or not I couldn't say. You could try the Truma site for downloads.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roger7webster on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 pm

If you are considering a like for like replacement its a fairly simple job. I have removed my Dometic unit several times whilst tracing an earth fault. Lifting the unit of the roof is easier with a helper

roger7webster

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2012 Sussex EB panel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Sounds like you have the CA1000.  Replacement for any other type is impossble without adding  a fairly deep spacer on theroof as the Freshjet (the only one that wil fit) will foul the kick up in the roof behind the CA1000.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks for the info Roger and Ron. I took the hood off the unit off and triggered the condensation pump which is supposed to be self priming but wasn't! Sucked water up through the pump via the outlet pipe and all seemed ok. Just waiting for some warm weather again to test it - but think I will get away with just replacing the pump which looks a straight forward job apart from the price nearly £100!! It's only a small little pump about an inch cubed but guess that's better than £1100+ for a whole new unit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Update - to prevent the condensate pump draining again I have added a windscreen washer inline non return valve at the end of the discharge pipe. Left it for a week and during a hot day last week left the ac on all day - and it stayed on. Pool of water under the van where the condensate pump had pumped water onto the roof. Suspect it may only be a temp repair but will see.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum