Leisure Battery Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leisure Battery Problem

Post by Slaphead on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:34 pm

We decided on a long weekend at Glenmore forestry site to give our Border Terriers some R & R as well as ourselves.  We stopped for lunch before we reached Aviemore so that the impatient dogs could immediately get out for a ramble when we arrived and got set up.

When my wife went to the loo, she shouted out that the flush was not working.  I tried to light the cooker but the igniter was not working.  I pressed the test button on the control panel and nothing!  Ended up with a sandwich and a glass water for lunch.

All was well when we got to site and picked up a mains supply and we had a great weekend.

On returning home, I checked the battery with my meter and it read about 9 volts.  Our van is always connected to the mains for a day or so before any trip so I assumed the battery was faulty.  It is about three years old so I was not too surprised.

Ordered an identical battery from Tanya batteries and as usual, it was delivered the following morning.  I put it on a battery conditioning smart charger to bring it up to full charge.

A couple of days later I got round to swapping the batteries over and on completion, switched on the reading light above the battery position and was rewarded with NOTHING!  I tried the test button and again absolutely nothing.

I sat in the van wondering what could be the problem but was a bit baffled.  I started to check the battery terminal leads and found a small fuse board of three blade fuses (one empty) and pulled the first one.  It was blown!  New fuse and everything worked.  Recharged the old battery and it is holding at about 12.8v.

Oh well, we have now got a spare leisure battery.  We have had the van 17 years and in all that time have only replaced one lighting circuit fuse. 

The lesson - don't jump to conclusions.

Dave C.
Slaphead

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sprinter 2.9L Medall
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leisure Battery Problem

Post by burlingtonboaby on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 am

Love the brace of borders, we have one old girl of nearly 16, we also used to live in Saline.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am

Morning Boaby,

Mother and daughter (Jip & Rhona).  We also have a third one who is 12.

We actually live just outside of Blairingone.

Dave

Dave C.
Slaphead

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sprinter 2.9L Medall
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Borders are a year older since we last chatted back in Jan 2016, nice to hear from you again.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cheethama1 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 pm

We are having the exact same problem that you had.   We have checked all the fuses, replaced one and it worked for a while,  but 12 volt is not working again.  It works when 
hooked up to mains, same as yours.  I am panicking now because we rely on 12 volt for most of our trips away!  
Any suggestions please ???????
Anne
cheethama1

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Has the fuse failed again? Which fuse is it that failed? I would guess that it's the fuse that sits between the leisure battery positive and the control panel, because if that blows, the only time you will get 12V in the habitation area is if you are on EHU and the charger is on (or if you switch the power select switch to "Vehicle" if you have such a switch).

Probably the most common reason for fuse failure is if the leisure battery is in a very poor condition and the engine is started. When this happens the vehicle battery gets connected directly across the leisure battery by the split charge relay, and very large currents flow - big enough to blow one of the fuses if the difference between the two batteries is large.

So, you need to confirm what the blown fuse serves (you can do this by removing it and identifying what has stopped working) and what state the leisure battery is in - done by measuring the battery voltage.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum