Front Blinds Sticking Together In Heat

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Front Blinds Sticking Together In Heat

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm off the road for a month or three, with an injured hound and the van is grounded so_sad temporarily on the drive.

The last twice that I've been out to it I have found that the front concertina blinds have pretty much glued themselves together, following periods of hot weather and have to be forcibly prised apart. Without resorting to reflective screens (inner or outer) I'm thinking of applying either talcum powder or a very light smear of grease on the contact faces.

Any thoughts or preferences on which would be better, or an even better fix.

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 534
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Front Blinds Sticking Together In Heat

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:41 pm

That sound unusual, most people complain that they don't stay together. I assume this is the windscreen blind that 'magnets' together and has a sprung shutter to go around the mirror or is your van different to mine?

Male

Posts Posts : 1322
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm

It sounds the same Dave. This is the third van I've had with these blinds and have in the past used an elastic band to hold them closed.

The magnet is no stronger than my others, but it feels like it is the plastic faces that are bonding.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 pm

I might try (something like) selotape over one or both faces. Mine are "just right" so can't really offer much help.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Grease is likely to attract dust and grit so not recommended.
Rather than talcum powder, which in cheap brands can actually just be something like corn starch and may contain scented additives harmful to rubber and plastics, I'd suggest French chalk, as used in puncture repair kits which is pure talcum powder ( a.k.a. magnesium silicate)   allthumbz
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 909
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Just been out to put my locking wheel studs in and checked the blinds.... and they were stuck again. 
On closer examination with my glasses on, the plastic faces are actually painted aluminium extrusion, so it must be the painted faces fusing together.

I have plenty of cycle puncture kits, so I'm off to sand a bit of chalk up whilst it's fresh in my mind.

The only problem after that is that the sunny weather has gone, so a result may be a while off drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 pm

If they are aluminium they won't be held together by magnets. This only leaves one conclussion, they are held together by magic so you will need ground unicorn horn to keep them apart. This has the advantage of working in all weather conditions.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:06 pm

dbroada wrote:If they are aluminium they won't be held together by magnets. This only leaves one conclussion, they are held together by magic so you will need ground unicorn horn to keep them apart. This has the advantage of working in all weather conditions.
And how do you know it works in all weathers lol4 Would a wizard's wand with correct incantation not do the same job scratch head .... even if it's just to prise them open.

Obviously with there being no iron in aluminium, I prefer the theory that the magnetic strips are fitted in to a recess in the extrusion and they may even be glued in to place.

I'm trying to suss out how to transfer a short video clip from my iPhone across to the iPad, so I can put it on here. It shows how persistent the 'magic' was, to the point where I pulled the blooming handles off lol4

All fixed now and French chalk applied.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Wargenwolf wrote:Obviously with there being no iron in aluminium, I prefer the theory that the magnetic strips are fitted in to a recess in the extrusion and they may even be glued in to place.
Ah, I had overlooked that possibility.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:41 pm

As Wargenwolf said, they're held together with magnetic strips that are seated in grooves in the ali extrusion.

What's happening is that the heat is softening the glue holding the magnetic strip so that one magnetic strip is coming away from its groove and staying attached to the other magnet rather than to its own side of the blind.

If you were to touch the edge of one of the blinds (don't) you'll find that it's sticky because you're touching the back of the detached strip, complete with glue (which is actually a long thin piece of double sided tape.

I'm yet to solve this problem with our own blinds, but I think that gorilla glue to replace the double sided tape might be the answer.
meanchris

Female

Posts Posts : 1710
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

meanchris wrote:As Wargenwolf said, they're held together with magnetic strips that are seated in grooves in the ali extrusion.

What's happening is that the heat is softening the glue holding the magnetic strip so that one magnetic strip is coming away from its groove and staying attached to the other magnet rather than to its own side of the blind.

If you were to touch the edge of one of the blinds (don't) you'll find that it's sticky because you're touching the back of the detached strip, complete with glue (which is actually a long thin piece of double sided tape.

I'm yet to solve this problem with our own blinds, but I think that gorilla glue to replace the double sided tape might be the answer.
Chris,

I'm not sure that's what's happening with mine.

The magnetic strips are staying in place, there is something on either the faces of them, or the faces of the painted aluminium that is bonding together in the heat.

I've had the blinds of my previous vans closed in the French afternoon sun at temperatures well in excess of 30 degrees and never had them bond together, so this pale north eastern 20 degrees is causing a bit of scratch head

Hopefully the summer isn't over yet and I'll see if the chalk dust has worked.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Experimenting with video.....

http://sendanywhe.re/5G5WIBCN

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Does the video link in the previous post work, before I decide to keep the app ?

Last edited by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 pm

I have the same problem with the blinds. Only happened in the last month when in South of France at 30c+  so I also assume it is heat related.
rgermain

Male

Posts Posts : 183
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Wargenwolf wrote:Does the video link in the previous post work, before I decide to keep the app ?

Yes, but it's quite a big download for someone who doesn't have fast fibre broadband.

I can see what you're saying, those blinds seem to be well stuck, ours aren't anything like as difficult to separate.
I understood that you're supposed to use the handles as a lever, squeeze them together to separate the magnets, but seeing as your handles have fallen off... shrugg
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:24 pm

meanchris wrote:
Wargenwolf wrote:Does the video link in the previous post work, before I decide to keep the app ?

Yes, but it's quite a big download for someone who doesn't have fast fibre broadband.

I can see what you're saying, those blinds seem to be well stuck, ours aren't anything like as difficult to separate.
I understood that you're supposed to use the handles as a lever, squeeze them together to separate the magnets, but seeing as your handles have fallen off... shrugg
Thanks Chris,

Today's effort actually required the least amount of force, but was the first time the handles fell off !

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 pm

meanchris wrote:

I started downloading but after making a cup of coffee there was still more than 5 minutes left on the download. One day we might get fibre here.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm

dbroada wrote:
meanchris wrote:

I started downloading but after making a cup of coffee there was still more than 5 minutes left on the download. One day we might get fibre here.

We're lucky, tonight we're getting over 50mbps here in the wilds of Derbyshire. allthumbz
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm lucky if I see over 1mbs. I occasionally get a few seconds at 4mbs but never for long.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leytonexile on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 pm

I want to know where you found the heat. None down here in cornwall?!
Leytonexile

Male

Posts Posts : 74
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Windsor

View user profile http://www.davemoore1.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:28 am

I'm still waiting for the heat to make a return up here too Whistle1

Update....

I posted this 'sticking' issue on another forum that I frequent and it turns out that it's a fairly common problem that Remis are aware of and provide a tape to cover the faces of the magnets.

One of the members claims that using a 'pinch' method on the handles, releases the blinds every time they bond, but I can't test that theory without the heat.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 am

Wargenwolf wrote: Remis are aware of and provide a tape to cover the faces of the magnets.
That's what I suggested.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 am

Have a look at Hindermann privacy mesh screens  wolf, the mesh screen will cover the windscreen and kept the cab cooler so you can use your blinds without sticking.
www.vancomfort.co.uk
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 5871
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:05 pm

dbroada wrote:
Wargenwolf wrote: Remis are aware of and provide a tape to cover the faces of the magnets.
That's what I suggested.

You certainly did, thank you, but I'm expecting a special quality, German engineered, hi tech, colour coded and heat resistant tape from Remis, not a roll of Sellotape's finest, where the glue melts in the first bit of heat and causes my blinds to stick together.......

Oh wait !!  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:20 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Have a look at Hindermann privacy mesh screens  wolf, the mesh screen will cover the windscreen and kept the cab cooler so you can use your blinds without sticking.
www.vancomfort.co.uk
Boaby
Thanks for the link Boaby, do you use their products ?  

I've just had a quick look through their online catalogue and it looks like they offer some excellent accessories.

Rather than having two separate products for heat and cold, I was already planning on a set of Silverscreens for the winter, which will also keep the heat down in the summer, but now I'm wondering as an alternative, how Hindermann compare on quality.

They do a mosquito mesh for the back doors, which I don't need, but I'm going to dig deeper and see if they do one for the sliding door.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum