The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where and how??

+4
chrisk
rogerblack
Cymro
Vanguard755
8 posters

Go down

Where and how?? Empty Where and how??

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm

These may be a couple of daft questions but could someone tell me ,1,where is the leisure battery on a 2010 A/S Broadway EKTBLP?? and ,2, how can I check to see if the Solar panel is doing what it is meant to??

TIA

Chris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Where and how?? Empty Re: Where and how??

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm

I have now found the Leisure battery(in a wooden box under the offside bench seat) but after asking the last question I have put the EHU on and after about 20 mins went back in and there was a sulphorous smell so Ive turned the EHU off and found that the Leisure battery`s ends are slightly bulging and the battery is warm, battery knacked??????.
Can someone confirm??

Chris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Oh yes!  I'd remove that bulging, suphurous battery immediately! I know that awful smell - first had it in Copenhagen when leisure battery cooked! A faff to remove it, and then I cycled to a garage with the dead battery on the bike pannier like a great big pensulum - made turning corners interesting! Garage measured dead battery and I bought a suitable (car battery) replacement. That lasted for some 7 or 8 years.

You might think of fitting a battery master or use a battery conditioner if you're able to hook up when the van is at home.

As to the solar panels, on the Sargent panel (on my 2015 Nuevo) it's possible to scroll the display until you see "Battery Current". In sunny intervals just now, mine shows -2.0 amps. In other words, there's an inflow from the solar panel. When the figure doesn't have a negative, the battery is discharging. On my Sergent, it's necessary to calibrate that display - the instructions explain. You do so at night or when the panel is covered.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Please ensure you turn off any charger, e.g. by removing EHU and also ventilate the area thoroughly before attempting to loosen and remove the battery terminals.

The gases given off by dud batteries can be highly explosive so I would also take precautions such as wearing heavy duty gloves and if you have one a safety visor such as used for e.g. strimming or pair of safety goggles.

I'm the first to criticize over the top Elfin Safety but in this case - better safe than sorry.

cheers
Roger

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Being new to Motor-homing what is a EHU
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Electric Hook Up, the connection to the 230V mains supply outside the van.

EDIT:

Used to charge the leisure batteries, power the 230V van sockets, power an immersion heater to back up the gas water heater, power the heater elements to back up the gas space heater.
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies, a new battery is on order. Is it safe just to remove the old battery and put the new one in???, do I have to reset anything??. We are new to motorhoming as well.

Chris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Does the A/H rating have to be the same or can it be slightly higher???

Chris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Although you're only talking of 12v, some of the electronics which are powered by the leisure battery might be sensitive. So before substituting the new one, I'd make sure you've turned off everything on the 12v system.  Then it's just a case of installing and tightening up. It may be desirable to connect the terminals in a specific order, but as the 12v system should all be off I don't think that's critical. But I'm sure a Forum Member who knows more about these things will put me right.

As to the ampere-hours capacity of the new battery, it doesn't matter a jot if the new one is greater (that will give you longer service between charges). What's critical is the size: it's got to fit!

Now as to the type of leisure battery, you'll find masses of debate on the web and on this Forum - but in my experience I found an ordinary wet-cell car battery to be perfectly adequate. It does depend on whether you'll be doing a lot of staying without mains hook up, because some types of batteries are better than others. But as you've already ordered one, just bung it in!

And now I'm following your example and making a cuppa... !

Last edited by Cymro on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo correction)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Vanguard755 wrote:Does the A/H rating have to be the same or can it be slightly higher???

Chris

The most important thing is the physical size of the battery, it has to fit into its allocated space and within its cover, fit the highest A/H battery to your maximum dimensions.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm

If I remember correctly, remove the -ve terminal first and refit -ve terminal last, to avoid flash over when working on the +ve terminals.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello Chris, 
It's very likely that the new battery will have a small vent hole at either end of the battery to allow any gas (Hydrogen which is very explosive ! ) to safely escape through the floor via a small pvc tube, if the original battery was vented then its easy otherwise you will need to fit a vent pipe to the battery.
To avoid a "short" leave the protective plastic covers on the battery terminals while fitting the new battery until you are ready to connect the cables.

Chris

Last edited by spanner on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks again for the replies. Ive ordered a 110a/h leisure battery and the size just about fits in the battery carrier but I may have to modify the battery strap which is not a problem as I have all sorts of stuff in  me garage allthumbz. I also will fit a breather tube if it needs one and I might move the battery  somewhere else and gain a bit of storage.

Chris

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum