Clubman mpg

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman mpg

Post by mcubbin on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:09 pm

I am looking for an Autosleeper at the moment and have been looking at various posts and it would seem to me, that while the 2.5 tdi version
will be the better drive in terms of available power, there is not a great deal between them in terms of mpg. Some owners of the 2.4d saying almost
30 mpg and the 2.5 doing as low as the high twenties. There are those at the other end saying low twenties for the 2.4d and almost 40 for the 2.5tdi.
Looking at the chart on the forum, I am not able to post a link,  the best figure for a 2.4d is 28mpg from a 92 reg and the best for a 2.5tdi is 33mpg from a 03. I realise that there are many variables, driving style, load, servicing, but on the whole it would seem there is not a huge difference. 
Particularly as there also seems to be a fairly large premium on vans of similar ages with the 2.5 tdi engine. I would be interested to hear from owners.

mcubbin

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman mpg

Post by NORGIL on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:20 pm

My 2001 40,000 miles  2.5TDi Clubman returns close to 30mpg in town and general driving. On the motorway I let her find her own sweet spot which seems to be around 60-65mph at which she returns about 33mpg. I used to drive a 2.4 van as opposed to MH for work, and find the 2.5 a nicer drive, she takes hills better and accelerates better both at the bottom end and in the higher gears. She just feels less effort to drive.

At the end of the day though everyones driving style is different, so engine choice is somewhat subjective.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:07 pm

It should be noted that the 2.5TDI will be a lot more powerful than the 2.4d If don't care then it is maybe not worth it if you are only doing a few thousand miles a year. However, the 2.5TDI will have a higher resale value and will give you more power and better fuel economy. I know power doesn't sound important in a motorhome but it's genuinely frightening driving something that you are not sure has the power to get up a hill. My 2.0 petrol runs on LPG and that makes it fairly cheap to run but I do sometimes have to switch back to petrol to get a bit more power out of the thing on hills. It should be noted that's this is easy to do as switching between LPG and petrol is just a case of flicking a switch on the dash.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlysme on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Having owned a fabulous 2.0 petrol clubman for many years, I loved the van but disliked the lack of power when fully loaded and going up a long hill, along with the poor fuel economy. On researching for a solution I came to the understanding that I could change most things on my clubman habitation side but I could not easily solve a power and economy issue on the engine. My eventual solution was to replace my clubman with a 2.5 TDI Gatcombe (I couldn't find a good clubman at the time and they are basically the same!). On my first journey home I returned 36mpg over a distance of 230 miles, however I was not loaded at all. Over the next 3000 miles I have averaged 30 mpg, but these have all been fully loaded up, bikes on the back, water and fuel tanks full (well fuel tank starts full and keeps being filled..) The power of my 2.5 102bhp enables me to cruise on a motorway and mostly not change out of 5th gear at all (unlike my 2.0 petrol). This makes longer runs a dream, with just turning cruise control on. My advice is to think carefully about engine choice as once made it is the one thing you cannot easily change. I am sure the 2.4 diesel is a good engine and I have not personally driven one, for me though it seemed a no brainer to pay a slight premium for the later engine as I know I would get the same slight premium in the unlikely event of me selling.

Last edited by Onlysme on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Onlysme
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe VW 2.5 TDI
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mr standfast on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am

We have a 2.5tdi Gatcombe as well. We've had it nearly 3 years and always get 35 mpg, we run fully loaded and cruise at 60(ish) on motorways. We like the dales, North York moors and Northumberland,so there is a lot of low gear work !up!
mr standfast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am

Onlysme wrote: The power of my 2.5 102bhp enables me to cruise on a motorway and mostly not change out of 5th gear at all (unlike my 2.0 petrol).
Out of interest, what was the power output of your 2ltr petrol? My 2ltr Boxer gives 108 bhp and I would have thought that the VW 2ltr would give at least the same.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlysme on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

My VW 2.0 petrol was 83bhp and 159 Nm torque, that compares with my 2.5TD 101bhp and 250 Nm torque. I found the VW petrol to be a lovely and smooth engine, just lacking on those long slow motorway uphills. Final straw for me was coming back from cornwall and nearly having an HGV go in to the back of me on the main A30 at Indian Queens as I was struggling to get up the hill (I was in the crawler lane out of 3) and I guess the HGV didn't expect me to be crawling in 2nd..

My MPG in my Gatcombe has been done over a few quick jaunts into Europe and I possibly have a heavy foot  scratch head That said I am more than happy with 30mpg, which is a vast improvement over the 2.0 petrol.
Onlysme
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe VW 2.5 TDI
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for your reply, i'm surprised that the VW engine is so underpowered! I'd be more than happy with 30 mpg too! smile!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Pratt on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Comparing 2.4 with 2.5TDi is chalk and cheese. I've had both. The 2.5 TDi is a fabulous drive, so easy and relaxed. I get mid-30s mpg. Just had 6 weeks in France and Spain. Couldn't have done the mountains in a 2.4. Well worth the possible extra cost in the first place.
Roger Pratt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : November

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Ive got a 93 vw clubman 2.0l petrol 84bhp normally aspirated and last week around Wales, which was naturally up hill and down dale fully loaded to the hilt, we got 22.3 mpg. 

Last month we took her up to berwick, empty, to sell her to an absolute time waster, who turned out to be a dealer and wouldnt give us our petrol money as agreed. The van did a cool 28mpg and we had her at 65 mph all the way up the motorway.

Im guessing if looked after and kept at 55mph on motorways and a light right foot on normal roads, an average laden van should get 25mpg and on long journeys 28pmg would be good.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum