is an automatic significantly better

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: is an automatic significantly better

Post by groundhog on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato are exactly the same vehicles except the badge - also the Citroen though not many m/h's based on Citroen. One thing you might look at is on some coachbuilts it is a long reach down to the handbrake but fear not you can buy a kobran handbrake extender which helps a lot ( around £50) for pre 2007 vehicles. You couldn't be better placed with lots of dealers around where you live, if you do not know them all pm me and I will give you a few suggestions! scratch head confused3
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks-- the handbrake won't be a problem. Occasional strain on the shoulder is not an issue -- only constant extended use.
Yes I think I have got all the Somerset dealers lined up, thanks!
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 am

Tony F wrote:
nimbus wrote:Ford (pre 2007), Renault and Fiat are not true automatics, but a manual box with a complicated system of hydraulic and electrical components to change gears. In fact the Ford box is called a Durashift ASM, the ASM being an abbreviation for Automated Shift Manual. The Ford Durashift has a history of unreliability and it was dropped from the current Mk 7 range. Problems are now arising with the Fiat Comfortmatic box and fixing them seems to be a bit of a nightmare as there are so many components that can fail and so few technicians that know how to fix them.

I would advise anyone to avoid buying a Ford Transit with a Durashift gearbox. When they're working they're fine, but when they go wrong they can be extremely expensive to fix and the vehicle can be sat in a Ford dealers compound for weeks on end waiting for parts from Germany. I know, I've been there. And if anyone is doubting what I'm saying just do a Google search on Ford Durashift asm problems and you'll see what I mean. Or even go onto the Ford Transit forum and do a search there and you'll find hundreds of posts from disgruntled owners, some of them having pay thousands of pounds to get them fixed. In desperation, some have even had them converted to a true manual box.

So my advice to anyone thinking of buying a van with an automated shift gearbox would be to avoid it like the plague. Unless, of course, you're prepared for extended periods with the van being off the road and you have very deep pockets for the repair bills.

Oh censored! !!!

Tony

So, after feeling rather less than thrilled following Nimbus' report (above), I took our Transit-based Windsor in for servicing yesterday. When I went to collect it this guy says "hope you don't mind - just been admiring you motorhome. Nice thing isn't it! I see it's got the Ford auto gear change. I wouldn't buy a Transit without one. I'm on my third Transit now, covered hundreds of thousands of miles in them as a courier all over Europe. I love 'em; never had a problem".

So, fingers crossed, but he cheered me up no end!!!!

T content ny
Tony F

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

Hmmmm. Well, I realise that personally I have to have an automatic (tried a manual Symphony yesterday) and can't afford a new one with a "real" auto transmission, so seemingly stuck with the Durashift. Hoping to see a 1999 Duetto auto on 7th May and just have to keep fingers crossed it is OK . I guess you could only tell if it is currently failing-- you wouldn't be able to predict future failure... scratch head
Jinny
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Agree Tony some autos are pretty poor and as you say not proper auto's at all..... but.... we have owned motorhomes based on Toyota, VW and now Mercedes all auto and all utterly brilliant so to castigate ALL autos because some are poor is a terrible generalisation. We spend a lot of time in Canada, ask for a 'stickshift' ( manual) across that side of the Atlantic and they will laugh at you.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mercedes auto owner

Post by JanGlover on Tue May 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Automatic makes manoeuvring a dream! Not sure about miles per gallon (sorry, litres per 100km - does anyone think that way here?), but we'll find that out soon. For a big vehicle, automatic makes for easier handling and driving, we've no doubt about that.

Dick (and Jan)
JanGlover

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Agree with Dick and Jan, we are away for a first few days in our Worcester now and it is superb to drive, hard to detect the gearshifts just smooth and effortless and, the Mercedes has plenty of power.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum