Gas bottle storage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gas bottle storage

Post by Taurian on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:18 pm

The handbook and on line data sheet for the 2003 Symbol quite clearly states that the gas storage chamber can accommodate  both a 6kg and a 3.9 kg propane gas bottle.    Well Iv'e got news for you Auto-Sleeper - it can't.  There is no way I can get  both bottles in,  so I'll just have to run with the 6kg and the newly filled 3.9kg bottle will have to be used as a door stop somewhere.   Is there anyone else out there with a 2003 Symbol  that can tell me a trick to get them both in - other that removing the floor of the wardrobe!
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gas bottle storage

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:51 pm

I would have thought that a 2003 and a 1997 Symphony would have the same gas locker, after all the Symbol was a higher spec version than the Symphony but essentially the same van, well I could get a 6kg and a 3.9 in my Symphony. Don't have it now so can't go and see how I did it but they fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Taurian wrote:The handbook and on line data sheet for the 2003 Symbol quite clearly states that the gas storage chamber can accommodate  both a 6kg and a 3.9 kg propane gas bottle.    Well Iv'e got news for you Auto-Sleeper - it can't.  There is no way I can get  both bottles in,  so I'll just have to run with the 6kg and the newly filled 3.9kg bottle will have to be used as a door stop somewhere.   Is there anyone else out there with a 2003 Symbol  that can tell me a trick to get them both in - other that removing the floor of the wardrobe!
We used to get both in ours a bit of a struggle at first involve a bit of laying down and struggle but once you get the knack its easy going. I wonder if you model is one of the older designs before the gas locker change ?

Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks for your replies Paul and Alf.  I know that if the spec says they will go in then they should I suppose, but I can't seem to do it !  The shelf at the back of the locker is for the smaller bottle but when that is in situ, the larger bottle won't fit in as the locker is not wide enough to accept both bottles. It does not seem possible get the bigger bottle through the door and seated because the smaller bottle is too wide and restricts it.  I may have another go when the van temperature falls below 30 degrees but \I'm not hopeful.
Taurian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:53 pm

I can get both in my Harmony which I believe is a similar layout.
The smaller bottle goes to the back.
I even have the 'lite' large bottle and that fitted after a bit of a wriggle!

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:58 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:I can get both in my Harmony which I believe is a similar layout.

PB
I must be doing something wrong then I suppose, but I don't know what!   Ill keep trying and let you all know my progress ( or not )
Taurian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Taurian wrote:
peugeotboxer wrote:I can get both in my Harmony which I believe is a similar layout.

PB
I must be doing something wrong then I suppose, but I don't know what!   Ill keep trying and let you all know my progress ( or not )
If I remember right the small bottle at the back needs to be moved sideways a bit and the front one the opposite way only a bit but that seems to work.
You are using Calor Bottles some others seem to vary in size we have always used Calor Propane.

Wait till you have to swap whilst on Holiday,      scratch head confused3 allthumbz    Happy days comes to mind.

Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:41 pm

I had the exact same problem and had an earlier thread Taurian, your absolutely right, they will not fit with the locker as is!! You have to raise the 3.9 cylinder with a piece of 3 x 2. I think that my piece is about 9 inches long. put the small cylinder in first on the wood, this will allow it to seat further into the locker as it lifts it above the wheel arch.

I would like to take the credit for this idea but Frank suggested it.

Good luck
Paul
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:I had the exact same problem and had an earlier thread Taurian, your absolutely right, they will not fit with the locker as is!! You have to raise the 3.9 cylinder with a piece of 3 x 2. I think that my piece is about 9 inches long. put the small cylinder in first on the wood, this will allow it to seat further into the locker as it lifts it above the wheel arch.

Good luck
Paul
Ah, interesting!!  Thanks for that tip Paul - I will give it a try when I get back from the weekend away and let you know how I get on  up!
Taurian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Not knowing your van this may not be relevant.
Prior to buying the Dorset I had a 06 Tribute which had a small gas locker inside the back door and fitting more than one bottle was not meant to be but I did find that if I took off the gas bottle cradle fixed to the wall and simply fixed the holding strap direct back to the wall I could fit two bottles in easily.
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Buy Polish gas!!  

The small size comes in 3.4kg bottles and three cylinders fit with ease in my gas locker. The big 'plus' is the price.......just four quid per refill. The regulator cost me £7.50 but as i'm often in Poland it made sense to buy their gas. The standard gas locker is very small and i have read a post on the forum where someone modified the locker by taking the wardrobe floor out. Easy enough to do but in the event of a fire i'm not sure what the insurance would say about that kind of modification.
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alanwheeler on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a 2004 Symbol and the two recommended bottles fit and are held in place by the straps. it's just a bit of a fiddle to get the smaller one in at the back first.
alanwheeler

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:57 pm

I think that they must have made the gas lockers different sizes as without the wood to lift the smaller cylinder over the wheel arch it is impossible to fit 2 cylinders and shut the locker door. I have tried fitting 2 3.9kgs or 2 6 Kgs, a 6 at the back and a 3.9 at the front, a 3.9 at the back and a 6 at the front. The straps are screwed to the locker wall so there has never been a cradle. ours is a 2006 Symbol (old shape).
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:I think that they must have made the gas lockers different sizes as without the wood to lift the smaller cylinder over the wheel arch it is impossible to fit 2 cylinders and shut the locker door. I have tried fitting 2 3.9kgs or 2 6 Kgs, a 6 at the back and a 3.9 at the front, a 3.9 at the back and a 6 at the front. The straps are screwed to the locker wall so there has never been a cradle. ours is a 2006 Symbol (old shape).

Would it help if you removed the straps Paul? I know my van is not the same type as yours but the standard Duetto gas locker accommodates 2 x 3.9kg Calor bottles with ease. I've also never had to strap them in either.
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello Mr BulletGuy

I have tried that, unfortunately the wheel arch still prevents the inner cylinder from going far enough back on the locker inner step, once the second cylinder is in it is impossible to close the locker door. I did consider measuring the diameter of the cylinders with a Vernier and only getting the thinner ones, there is a slight difference due to the spun, circumferentially butt welded manufacturing process. However, 9 inch of 3 x 2 is an easier option.

Paul
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:36 am

Paul 300358 wrote:I had the exact same problem and had an earlier thread Taurian, your absolutely right, they will not fit with the locker as is!! You have to raise the 3.9 cylinder with a piece of 3 x 2. I think that my piece is about 9 inches long. put the small cylinder in first on the wood, this will allow it to seat further into the locker as it lifts it above the wheel arch.

Good luck
Paul
Many thanks for the tip Paul !!  I  cut a piece of 3 x 3  and put it on the back shelf  and rested the 3.9kg bottle on that.  With a bit of jiggling  about the 6 kg fitted in the locker as well.  Why Auto-Sleeper didn't make the shelf higher in the first place I don't know. It would have been an easy option.  Anyway, job done.  Thanks again.  You can always rely on the members of this forum to help each other out. up!

Ian
Taurian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:13 pm

I now use 2 x 3.9Kgs when in this country as it makes it easier to change the cylinders, but I take a 6 and 3.9 when going to France.

We always seem to empty a gas cylinder when the Aytola is cooking (warming up a meal).

Paul
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum