Odd electric problem and alarm annoyance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Odd electric problem and alarm annoyance

Post by Bertievanman on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 am

Hi,

Picked up our newly bought 1996 Talisman yesterday and are heading off tomorrow.  When running through the checks we discovered the lights inside on 12V weren't working.  It had been having servicing and a few bits done on it and we suspected that the leisure battery was drained.  Dealer said that they'd sort it but our time pressures meant we took it away as it was.

I drove and plugged it into the mains overnight to see if it just needed charging.  The charge light on the zig comes on.  This morning I had a look at it and still no interior 12v lights.  However I tried a few other things... the ignitor on the 3 way fridge works, the ignitor on the hob works, the water pump primes.  So I put a voltmeter across the leisure battery and it read just over 13V.  This suggests another problem.  A fuse?  I know that the lights were working when we viewed the van a couple of weeks ago.

Does anybody have a diagram of the fuses (although on quick inspection they appear OK).  Any other thoughts?

Also it has a TOAD alarm which I can't fathom how to disarm while we're in the van!  It has a key fob with 1 green and 1 black button on - googling this suggests it's an a101 or a51.  So currently I can clip the remote to disarm and open the door without triggering it - starting the engine triggers it, clip the fob to disarm it, drive, open door - ALARM!  Does anybody have some instructions that will help please?

Thanks
Bertievanman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Odd electric problem and alarm annoyance

Post by meanchris on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 am

Which control panel do you have? Is it similar to this one?

http://www.autosleeper.vwt4camper.info/assets/images/AutosleeperClubmanZigContro.jpg

If so, there should be a removable panel with the individual 12V fuses behind it all coming from a main copper busbar.

It's all a bit rickety, so take great care.

Second thought: There's a "kill switch" for the lights, so that you can switch them all off when in bed, usually a single gang simple switch somewhere like on the forward side of the fridge where it's easily reached.

EDIT: I've added Dymo tape labels to all our switches and controls, as I got fed up with having to tell SWMBO which is which all the time (and it reminds me too if truth be told). snigger

meanchris

Male

Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertievanman on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks that looks like the control unit.  The kill switch idea sounds interesting.  There's an unmarked switch inside the wardrobe that I was wondering about.
Bertievanman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:16 am

It's usually somewhere easy to reach from the bed.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: odd electric problem and alarm

Post by sapper997 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I have the same van on an Executive 1997...should be the same as yours.
the 12v cut off switch is a rocker switch located on right hand side of the cocktail cabinet
just below the 240v socket and tv ariel plug in.

The switch in the wardrobe in ours is for the hot water heater when on hook-up.....Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertievanman on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Brilliant, that worked thanks.

Another question now.  Is there a switch that cuts off the power to the thetford cassette loo?  It's not flushing.  I've checked the safety fuse that sits above the cassette.

Thanks
Bertievanman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: odd electric problem and alarm annoyance

Post by sapper997 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:46 am

The only switch that isolates the toilet flush is the 12v rocker switch on the zig panel,
 the only other explanation I can think of is the fuse in the toilet cassette compartment
 which you say you have checked, maybe a loose wire somewhere, scratch head process of
 elimination ?

Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 am

The flush pump impeller could be jammed by use of the pink fluid, which generates those bits of black scale if left unused over a long period.

You might be able to tell by making sure that the EHU isn't connected, putting the 12V on, switching on just one light, then pressing the flush and seeing whether the light dims or flickers at the same time, indicating that the pump is trying to run but is stalled and drawing current.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertievanman on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Yep I'm seeing the light dipping so it does look like it's jammed...
Thanks
Bertievanman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:32 pm

The pump is in the flush tank, slightly to the left of the hole where the toilet roll drum is. In a 1996 van I would suspect that it's the larger diameter pump which I think is now obsolete. The newer version is very similar but has to be packed into the mounting with suitable packing pieces.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertievanman on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks Chris, it's going back to the dealer I bought it from to have a few things looked at and this will be one of them!
Bertievanman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum