Public weighbridge Lancing Sussex

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Public weighbridge Lancing Sussex

Post by dbroada on Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 am

At last I think I have found a weighbridge in the South East, at Lancing (thanks m8form8). It is listed as a DVSA dynamic axle weigher that you just drive over after pressing the button.

Two questions.

Has anybody any idea where this is? The address is A27, Withy Patch. The closest place i can find is a layby on the westbound carrigeway. Is that it?

And secondly, has anybody used this type of machine? Are they really that simple to use and do you get a printout or do I have to write it down?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Public weighbridge Lancing Sussex

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sun May 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Located on the A27 westbound carriageway, approximately 500m west of the traffic lights beside Brighton City (Shoreham) Airport.
https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/roads-and-travel/traffic-management/weighbridge-locations/

Looks like you have to write down yourself.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8391319,-0.306651,60m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by PLOUGHLIN on Sun May 28, 2017 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Sun May 28, 2017 3:43 pm

If it's anything like the one near me, you drive up to a stop line and press a button.

The instructions say to wait for a green light, before driving slowly forwards, but there is no green light at mine.

There is a digital display panel at the far end of the station, which is blank on approach, but after pressing the button, it flashes a few times before zeroing.

At that point I drive slowly forwards and as the front wheels go over the sensor, the weight flashes up on the display and remains there until the rear wheels pass over the sensor, at which point the rear axle weight replaces the front reading.

A 3rd (tag axle) reading would quickly replace the last reading, so you'd have to be quick at jotting figures down.

As it's free and never busy, I have a couple of practice runs first snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Thank you both. We have cancelled this week's camping trip but will be loading up soon anyway so we will still be off to Shoreham with pen and paper and some reading glasses soon.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:09 am

Done it! I've weighed my Nuevo. The hardest part was checking if the green light had come on. In the end I decided that as the numbers had changed it was ready for me.

We aren't FULLY loaded but are not far short. I have to add fuel and some water but there were also a few things loaded that won't normally go with us so a total of 3320kg is nice.

When we ordered our van A/S were building them on 3350kg chassis' but mine came with a 3500kg one. I'm not sure 30kg would have been enough! It could be that the auto gearbox and aircon were known to weight too much compared with the Pug so we got the heavier rating although I suspect A/S took whatever was sent and some people have a 3350 van, others a 3500 van.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Took my warwick XL to a weighbridge today. Came in at 33380kg. Full fuel tank, 1 x wife, 2 x electric bikes and probably 90% of my expected baggage. All water tanks empty. 120kg under. Will probably travel with a small amount of fresh water and hope to be under 3500kg. Used a weighbridge about a mile of the A23 near Burgess Hill (BN6 9LQ) Richardson & Sons Ltd. Very helpful lady, £5 and a printed certificate.

chalkywhite

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:54 am

I don't know why I didn't consider the Burgess Hill one, it is nearer than Lancing. I was probably thinking of having to drive in to BH rather than it being just off the A23, maybe next time. I had to go to Gosport anyway so Lancing wasn't that far out of my way.

However, we are both a bit marginal when we add fluids. I think I put in about 50kg of diesel and will add another 40kg of water so my 180kg has halved already. Likewise most of your (chalkywhite) spare will get used if you fill the fresh water tank. It makes you wonder how many vans are within the 3500kg when you see how big they are.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 pm

I used the Burgess Hill one (about a mile and a half away from me) and the guy there said I could use it for nowt without a printout, or a fiver with.  No contest!
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum