Clubman Wet Carpet near the table socket..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman Wet Carpet near the table socket..

Post by mattpc on Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello all, we've had 4 very dry days which has been lovely but sadly we've got a wet carpet. It goes from the offside of the front (nearest the cab) table socket to the wall of the van offside and then goes back on the central lounge carpet to about half way across the bed but only on the offside of that table socket. I immediately suspected the Carver Cascade 2 water heater so drained the system and switched the water pump off to depressurise everything. The area did not dry out over two very hot days. Tonight I took the offside bed off its runners to gain better access to the area around the water heater. The carpet to the left of the heater (cab side) is wet but the uncarpeted area directly next to the water heater seems dry. The hot hose doesn't seem to be leaking, it's impossible to see the cold hose but the carpet to the right of the water heater is not wet and the hoses are located on the right of the carver. The uncarpeted area around the heater feels dry where I can get my hands in to feel it. I took the panel off under the window on the offside to see if it was water getting in from the window and working its way down. All the insulation feels bone dry under the window. Underneath the van in the affected area feels bone dry.

I'm a bit stuck, I was expecting to quickly find an obvious problem with the heater (I guess I still can't rule that out). Failing that I thought, must be the window. However, nothing on the vertical offside wall is remotely damp even though the carpet on the floor is wet right up to that vertical wall. I don't think it is the window.

Now I think maybe it could be rain 4-5 days ago that got through the roof vent (seems a bit unlikely to be honest though) and why hasn't it dried out.

Is there something weird going on with water getting in through the area the table mount is seated in the floor?

Are there water pipes going from the nearside of the van to the offside in that area that could be leaking?

Final crackpot theory. I tend to fill the fresh water tank until I hear water gushing out of the top of it. Is it possible I've been over zealous and soaked the floor from water rushing out of the fresh water tank when I've over filled it?
Any ideas much appreciated as always.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman Wet Carpet near the table socket..

Post by meanchris on Thu May 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Do you know where your water pump is situated, is it in that area?

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Thu May 25, 2017 10:40 pm

The water pump is located underneath the kitchen sink at the rear of the van.

After seriously questioning the logic of the more crack pot theories I have presented, I'm going back to something on the water heater being amiss. I'm sure after I turned the water system back on and heated the water up for a bit, the affected areas of carpet got wetter. It's difficult if not impossible to feel around the cold feed connection for the water as it is right on the bottom right of the carver cascade unit and there is a vertical piece of wood next to that for the next storage drawer. Seems strange if it were that, that the carpet to the right of the area on the next drawer would be dry though... Or the pipe could even have deteriorated away from the connection to the heater..

Last edited by mattpc on Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Not the culprit then, just asking as we had similar symptoms which turned out to be the Shurflo pump emitting a fine spray from its distorted pump housing when it was running.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm

We had a wet floor caused by a leak in behind the tip up sink and because it took so long to dry we thought that there was another leak and are still not sure that it is cured but the carpet is drier each time I test it. One suggestion the forum gave me was the water inlet hose can deteriorate and to watch it from the inside while it fills.
Best of luck getting dried out.
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat May 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I'd throw caution to the wind lol. and remove the cascade heater, to be sure. As I remember, having had mine out once or twice, it wasn't as bad a job as I first feared. Remove front surround, then fixing screws, messy job with help of paint scraper to separate the heater from side of van (plenty of red box hand wipes) Can't remember if gas pipe was undone from inside bed base , or from outside. Just two pipes to disconnect, then whole thing just slides out. You'll not have peace of mind until you've actually had it out, and examined it, will you ? Whistle1
Hope it helps. hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat May 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't forget to turn off the gas bottle...

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi again all. Yes gas isolated don't worry and I was straight up to that gas pipe smelling it when I broke the connection just to be sure! I won't be refitting that gas connection. A pro can do it!

I broke the heater out of situ this evening and took the insulation cover off. This gave me a clear view of what is going on with it. I started filling it with cold water by activating the pump, nothing much happened at first. However, once the tank got full and was up to pressure, I heard this hissing sound. Ran round the front of the van and water was absolutely peeing out of the cold water feed. Not from the jubilee clip attaching it to the tank but from the plastic piece that is sticking out of the carver tank which the jubilee clip then attaches to. I can even see a bit of the rubber seal that has presumably failed where the plastic piece attaches to the tank. Presumably I simply need to unscrew this plastic piece and fit a new seal?

I think something like this seal might do it? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carver-Cascade-2-Water-Heater-Truma-Fulham-Pressure-Valve-Inlet-Outlet-3-x-Seals-/150855715782?hash=item231fb38bc6:m:mD5N37BaWZ7b3PKayeniwzQ
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Which part is it on this diagram (assuming that it's the right diagram)?

http://www.mjcc.co.uk/Spares/Water%20Heaters/Carver%20Cascade.htm

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 pm

part 10, it's the seal between part 10 which is a plastic non return valve and the tank that the valve feeds in to. Some people seem to suggest replacing the plastic non return valve as well as the seal. It's not expensive to do so I'll probably go for that. They are about £10 for the plastic non return valve and the new seal.
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:34 pm

I guessed it was that part.

TBH, I didn't even know there was a replaceable inlet valve.

Glad it's solved.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:01 pm

It is a relief to confirm that it is the hot water heater. I hate not knowing what is causing these little niggles. It's been a bit of a pain living without any running water in the van for the last fortnight though! The Autosleeper manual refers to isolation taps for taking the Carver Cascade out of the equation but I've never found these taps in either of the locations different Autosleeper literature has suggested.
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman wet carpet near table socket

Post by sapper997 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:56 pm

I don't know about the clubman, but on my Executive there is a small access lid under the offside bench seat where you
 can see where the cold water pipe enters the water heater, I split the pipe and inserted a plastic isolator tap, After draining down in winter I always close the water off to the hot water heater to avoid frost damage whilst using the cold
 tap and a kettle......hope this makes sense....I don't do photo's  shrugg ....Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Sounds like a good mod Ray, may look at that later this year, thanks.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman wet carpet near table socket

Post by sapper997 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

P.S.   Something similar to ebay item No 291113505389 ......Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Ta, added to my watch list for later.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum