Retro fit a Heki roof Light to an Amethyst?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retro fit a Heki roof Light to an Amethyst?

Post by gordyjackson on Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 am

Good Morning all,

I wondered if anyone has had any success or experience in retro fitting one of the large Heki clear opening roof vents to an Amethyst?

There is the small vent there right now with the opaque 'pop up' type but I really fancy a big opener and more daylight in there.
I was just worried about any structural beams or metal work that I would only find once I've started cutting a hole! LOL!

I was also pondering for the overact bed but the shape of the monocoque makes that look a little tricker.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards
gordyjackson

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Retro fit a Heki roof Light to an Amethyst?

Post by meanchris on Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm

"Overact"?

I presume you mean over-cab, in which case yes, I've fitted better vents to both my Execs to reduce wind noise from the luton vent.
The first one was a Fiamma Crystal, fitted to a '95 Exec. I found that the original hole had been cut quite large and raggedly, so had to be very careful to make sure that the lip of the new vent (which I'd already bought in haste) covered the original hole.
The only problem I had after that was that the headlining board didn't quite match the lip of the vent bottom section, and left a small gap in one place.
EDIT: I also had to reverse the headlining strip to allow the vent to go under the luton cupboard bulkhead.
The vent did the job very well, though I determined to be more careful in choosing the replacement if there was a next time.

Here are pics demonstrating the new vent from above, the gap where the smaller bottom moulding didn't cover the headlining (edit: you can see in the 2nd pic the marks on the headlining which show where the much larger original MPK had been), and the reversed trim in front of the bottom moulding where the original MPK required a slot in the trim (now at the bottom) to go between the roof and the luton bulkhead

The next time:

I fitted a Mini Heki to replace the horrid luton MPK on our current 2005 Exec (which already has a large Heki in the hab area).
The Mini Heki has a slightly larger frame than the Crystal did, and fits the original hole much better.
Both vents reduced the wind noise dramatically. I hate the MPK vents for this reason.

If I were you, I'd get some sealant ready and remove the centre hab vent to have a look at the existing hole.
You should be able to get your hand in to feel for any battens or fittings between the headlining and GRP shell that would get in the way of a new larger vent.
If there's nothing immovable, I'd first do a lot of measuring and thinking things through before doing any cutting of the GRP roof/shell
The new vent will require support battens for its frame but, apart from that, I can't think of any reason why it can't be done as long as there's room for the new vent behind the moulded GRP wind deflector.
PM me if you'd like photos of our big Heki inside and out, so that you know how much room is needed and where it might end up being situated.

If you don't like the look of the job, use your sealant to put the old vent back while you think about it some more.

HTH.

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Here's the new Mini Heki in our current van.

You can see that there's no problem with the luton bulkhead with this one, as it's a 4 berth with a drop down bulkhead.

I've thought of a likely problem with installing a new big Heki in your van, the roof moulding will be different.
The wind deflector lip is moulded in and probably too far back to allow space for the new bigger vent.

Here's a pic of our roof with the big Heki vent (and the new Mini Heki at the front)

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Thankyou for posting such a thorough reply.  apologies for not replying sooner.   I have certainly taken on board all your advice.   I'm going to aquire both the vents and then get myself mentally prepared to go the job!   I did do the same many years ago on my old Eldiss Autostratus!  but that was a while ago!   I look forward to having some more light in there though.,   Many Thanks again.
gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue May 30, 2017 10:41 pm

You're welcome.

Have you been up on the roof to look at the moulded in wind deflector, that's the only thing that I can think of that might be a problem?

I suppose you could always cut it out, fit the new vent, then stick an aftermarket deflector on in the correct place, if there's room for everything.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Evening
Feeling very pleased with myself,  ordered a Mini Heki and swapping one for the other was a doddle!    Did the whole job in a bout 25 minutes and its made such a difference to the interior.
I realised that I couldn't do a full size Heki as there is a step in the roof height so It made the job a no brainer in the end. 
Now I've successfully conquered that I shall move onto the front over the bulkhead next and make that area more pleasant!  Thanks for your tips,  I shall post some photos when I get a chance
Cheers
gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum