Removing spindle /O-ring from Comet novo tap

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Removing spindle /O-ring from Comet novo tap

Post by wisewoman on Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am

Hello,

I don't technically have an autosleeper but I'm posting here as it sounds like some of you have had issues with Comet Novo taps.

I have a very primitive water system on my VW T4 conversion - consisting of an underslung tank and inline Whale pump (operated by taps microswitch) attached to it and my tap. I do not think I have any one way valves.  Previously the tap would tightly seal the  tap and I think the vacuum created would 'hold' the water to the top ready for immediate discharge upon turning the tap again. Now however,  about 10 seconds after turning my tap off, there is a gurgly air noise  for a few seconds whilst my comet tap sucks in air! This results in the water in my pipe dropping, so that next time I put the tap on, it takes an extra couple of seconds before water comes out again. My current thinking is that the o-ring in the comet tap is defective.

I can see that I can purchase O-rings or a replacement spindle but I could do with some advice as to how to get the spindle out. I had an unsuccessful go yesterday  but didn't want to brute force it.

My tap is the basic single Comet Novo tap not a mixer. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
wisewoman

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing spindle /O-ring from Comet novo tap

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from sunny Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am

If the 'O' rings in the tap are defective, then I would think that the tap would drip in the 'off' position.
If it is not leaking, then I suspect that you have a leak where the pipe fits into the tap, if you look at the photos in the post linked to below, you will see where I mean.

See here

However, if it is the 'O' rings then I've been lazy, and I've copied something I did for our club website below. The mixers are only two singles with a different spout so the same instructions apply to both types:

Remove the tap top.
This is done by gently pulling the top upwards, it's a straight pull up, no screws or twisting.
This is what it looks like with the top off.

Now, we need to remove the white valve body, again this is a straight pull up but you will need a tool of some sort to prise it up gently.
It's a bit scary the first time you do one of these as they don't look too strong and the plastic the taps are screwed on to is not too strong either.
It's only held in with an O ring and will pop up with gentle persuasion.

Once it's out, the tap looks like this.
You can see the groove that the top O ring fits into, to seal the tap and locate the valve body.

his is the valve body removed from the tap.
As you can see that there are two O rings, the top one is slightly smaller than the bottom one.
It is usually the bottom one which suffers damage and causes the leak, you can see the damage in this picture and in the one below.

The valve body just pops back into place, you'll hear a soft "click", as it seats. If you don't, it isn't seated properly, take it out and try again, make sure that the quadrant on the top of the valve is not fouling on the microswitch.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by wisewoman on Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks to you both. I was wondering boxerman, would the tap still drip even though mine is the old style non-pressurised system? I can see that would happen if it was a pressurised one.

I think my reasoning is inspired by the fact that previously, if I had turned the tap on and had *forgotten* to turn on the 12V system then I would also similarly hear air gurgling and the next turn of the tap (12V now switched on) would also show that the water in the pipe had dropped and display more of a pause before coming out. This si essentially whats happening now but of its own accord.

Anyway - thank you very much for your clear instructions as to how to remove the spindle. I had been trying to prise it up but I was obviously being too cautious as I didn't want to bust anything!

I have ordered some O-rings and will endeavour to get this spindle off again and then will discover whether they are the issue or not! :)
wisewoman

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue May 23, 2017 11:11 am

wisewoman wrote:Thanks to you both. I was wondering boxerman, would the tap still drip even though mine is the old style non-pressurised system? I can see that would happen if it was a pressurised one.
You're probably right, and its easier to change the 'O' rings than delve into the innards of sink units. I hope that just changing these solves your problem.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum