Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Solihull Baggie on Sun May 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Apologies for posting this in two places!

My speedo and milometer stopped working on my 1999 petrol symbol on the way back from my first trip today.

Any ideas? Scared to tamper myself.

Solihull Baggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 12
Joined : 2017-05-14
Member Age : 52
Location : Solihull
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by boxerman on Sun May 21, 2017 7:17 pm

I think - not sure - that a 1999 Boxer will have an electronic speedo, so it could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or a loose or broken wire.

Frank
avatar
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3921
Joined : 2011-08-21
Member Age : 70
Location : Preston Lancs
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by chrisvesey on Sun May 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi,
Water can get into the gearbox and affect the speedo drive, this is what happened to my 2001 symbol. The water gets in because the widscreen scuttle drain discharges onto the gearbox. The repairs and modification are well documented on here,
Chris
avatar
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 737
Joined : 2011-03-07
Member Age : 70
Location : Burton upon Trent
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Solihull Baggie on Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 pm

boxerman wrote:I think - not sure - that a 1999 Boxer will have an electronic speedo, so it could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or a loose or broken wire.

Frank

Cheers Frank.

I'm pretty sure that the 1999 model is cable not electrical but wait to be corrected. Can't really find anything in the manual unfortunately.

Solihull Baggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 12
Joined : 2017-05-14
Member Age : 52
Location : Solihull
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Solihull Baggie on Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 pm

chrisvesey wrote:Hi,
Water can get into the gearbox and affect the speedo drive, this is what happened to my 2001 symbol. The water gets in because the widscreen scuttle drain discharges onto the gearbox. The repairs and modification are well documented on here,
Chris

Cheers Chris.

The people we bought the van from had this problem and had the scuttle drain moved a few years back. Not sure if the drive was changed then or not.

I guess I will need to take it to a mechanic to check as I'm not good at the DIY stuff.

Solihull Baggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 12
Joined : 2017-05-14
Member Age : 52
Location : Solihull
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Robbit M on Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Recently had same problem on my 1999 Symbol. Fixed by local garage who replaced the speedo unit and changed the gearbox oil as there was evidence of water ingress. Not too costly to fix. Good luck.

_________________
Regards

Rob Malyn
avatar
Robbit M
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 30
Joined : 2015-10-23
Member Age : 61
Location : Bideford, Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Solihull Baggie on Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Robbit M wrote:Recently had same problem on my 1999 Symbol. Fixed by local garage who replaced the speedo unit and changed the gearbox oil as there was evidence of water ingress. Not too costly to fix. Good luck.

Cheers mate.

Hopefully not water ingress as the previous owners had the fix done but perhaps a hang-over from it!

Could I please ask how much you had to pay so I can prepare myself?

Solihull Baggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 12
Joined : 2017-05-14
Member Age : 52
Location : Solihull
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Robbit M on Sun May 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Will check tomorrow and let you know

_________________
Regards

Rob Malyn
avatar
Robbit M
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 30
Joined : 2015-10-23
Member Age : 61
Location : Bideford, Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Bartfarst on Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 pm

My original speedo cable had a propensity to become disconnected from the rear of the instrument binnacle. Two screws and the instruments can be withdrawn and the connection remade.

Bartfarst
avatar
Bartfarst
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 758
Joined : 2011-04-08
Member Age : 59
Location : Redditch, Worcs.
Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Boxer Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by AutoSleepyDon on Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 am

FYI My Symbol bought in 2002, I think it was a 2001 model though, had this problem. The speedo is electronic, I took it to main Peugeot dealer and they replaced the speed sensor. £100 labour, £70 parts in 2010.
avatar
AutoSleepyDon
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 121
Joined : 2014-03-05
Member Age : 56
Location : Hampshire
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by peugeotboxer on Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am

Mine is a 2000 although the base vehicle is probably 1999.
Mechanical cable speedo.
Instrument cluster is easy to remove to check if it has become detached.
Mine was a fluctuating speedo, removed cable and poured oil down cable.

PB
avatar
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2643
Joined : 2011-06-23
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Bartfarst on Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
Mine was a fluctuating speedo, removed cable and poured oil down cable.

PB
Yes, I had this problem too, resolved in the same way with sewing machine oil. Needed repeat applications roughly every other year.

Bartfarst
avatar
Bartfarst
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 758
Joined : 2011-04-08
Member Age : 59
Location : Redditch, Worcs.
Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Boxer Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Speedo not. Working

Post by johndean on Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 pm

hi
Easy to check look at diff casing if it's a cable can be seen it obvious disconnect the cable turn the end of the inner cable if the speedo works take out the driver only one screw and ch elk the green plastic gear if it's stripped just change it very simple no need to pay garage prices should take no longer than a few mins.
If the speedo doesn't work check where it goes on speedo head , turn the inner cable again at the diff end see if the top end turns if it does , place a small screw driver in the head drive and turn it does the speedo. Work if it doesn't the head if faulty..
If it's electronic there will be electric connector where the the cable would have been, its most likely the green plastic driver remove the sensor with driver inspect it and spin by hand with ignition on see if speedo works, if it does check the plastic green gear most likely it's stripped. Fit a new one should take mins rather than hours.
Hope that helps and haven't confused you even more.
John Dean ( ex Peugeot consultant engineer )
avatar
johndean
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 148
Joined : 2012-04-16
Member Age : 71
Location : cotswolds
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES / EK
Vehicle Year : !2015

View user profile http://www.cotswolds-bedandbreakfast.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo issue on 1999 Boxer Symbol

Post by Solihull Baggie on Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm

johndean wrote:hi
Easy to check look at diff casing if it's a cable can be seen it obvious disconnect the cable turn the end of the inner cable if the speedo works take out the driver only one screw and ch elk the green plastic gear if it's stripped just change it very simple no need to pay garage prices should take no longer than a few mins.
If the speedo doesn't work check where it goes on speedo head , turn the inner cable again at the diff end see if the top end turns if it does , place a small screw driver in the head drive and turn it does the speedo. Work if it doesn't the head if faulty..
If it's electronic there will be electric connector where the the cable would have been, its most likely the green plastic driver remove the sensor with driver inspect it and spin by hand with ignition on see if speedo works, if it does check the plastic green gear most likely it's stripped. Fit a new one should take mins rather than hours.
Hope that helps and haven't confused you even more.
John Dean ( ex Peugeot consultant engineer )

Many thanks to John and the rest of you.

Away at a festival this weekend but will look at it with my more mechanically minded brother after I'm back!

I have my sat nag to monitor speed but obviously shouldn't be without the milometer for long!

One more thing John. Is the green gear thing easily sourced?

Solihull Baggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 12
Joined : 2017-05-14
Member Age : 52
Location : Solihull
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post by johndean on Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi
I would think they are sometimes they are white or black they are different ratios but they were mostly green in my day
Been out of trade for 10 years so I don't know how available they are however my son is director of Peugeot / Citroen parts so will ask him when I see him next
The plastic gear runs on a metal screw on the diff so the plastic is the first to go.
John Dean
avatar
johndean
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 148
Joined : 2012-04-16
Member Age : 71
Location : cotswolds
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES / EK
Vehicle Year : !2015

View user profile http://www.cotswolds-bedandbreakfast.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum