Zig MC4000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zig MC4000

Post by ICDC on Sun May 21, 2017 10:56 am

Went in our 1997 Legend today and the Fox D1 was showing 18/19 on the screen. It normally is 13.7/14, I switched the 12v rocker to the on position and the lights were slow to come on.  Pressing the water test button the lights flash on and off and the battery check lights flash red to green constantly.  Everything was ok yesterday the only thing I did was plug the 240 cable in and ran the carver fan master heating.  We have a solar panel charging the batteries and ideas what to check I'm new to this system and the owners book says the Legend is fitted with an X3..it's not. Can anyone help. Thanks
ICDC

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Transit Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Zig MC4000

Post by samleeds on Sun May 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Sounds like the batteries are down and the leaving the fan on has flattened them quicker than the zig unit could keep up. My Zig is useless and only charges at 1.4 amps when on hook up but \i have 300w of solar and 3 110ah batts. 

Just leave the solar and the zig to put some juice back in and leave the fan off. You will find that after an hour or so if its sunny, the lights will come back on. 

The 17/18 you are getting is the solar top voltage and the 13.4 is the charge rate through the regulator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sun May 21, 2017 12:43 pm

I thought if on 240v ehu you wouldn't use the leisure battery ??
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun May 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Most zig units do not have a step down transformer so they rely on using the batteries for 12v power and the zig charges the batts as they are being used. if you are using 8 amps per hour and only getting 2 amps per hour back in, then the batts will discharge at 6 amps per hour till they hit rock bottom then you get dim lights and most often times ruin your batteries.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sun May 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Right don't know what a step down transformer is.  I have just connected the ehu and the panel has the green charging light constant green..with the Amp rating like yours at 1.4amps, all the lights are bright, does the Zig only charge the leisure battery as I was told it charges both with having the solar panel and if the solar is putting its bit into the zig and being charged by the hook up would that not equate to a higher charge rate..it doesn't seem so..?
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun May 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Electricity is like water, the strongest current wins. If the solar panels are putting out 2.1 amps into the leisures and the zig is putting 1 4 amps, the batteries will be charged at 2.1 amps not a combination of both. The zig on the older models only charges the leisures. The engine has a split charger so it does both, but on the hook up, the only batteries that get charged are the leisures. The Hook up is only good at night when the sun isnt there so you get 2.1 during the day, and 1.4 at night. If your batts are flat and you use hook up, then the lights will be bright as long as the lights current is not pulling more than the zig is charging at. Most 20w light take nabout the same as the zig unit so its equal and even but if you are on led, then you are ok for 4 or 5 lights before you get over the zig units charge rate.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

Thank you for all the information.. I have put a multimeter on the leisure battery and it's reading 12.77 v so it's fully charged.  The Fox is still showing 17/18 on the screen and when the 12v rocker switch is switched on the interior lights are very dim its as if the power from the leisure battery is not powering the lights.  When connected to ehu the green light on the display is lit and the lights are ok, so it's fine on 240v.  Don't know were to go from here, wonder if there is a problem with the Zig panel..stumped
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon May 22, 2017 12:28 pm

When is the battery reading 12.7V? That's not enough when it should be charging. EDIT: It should be at least 13.8V with a Zig PSU, and more (up to 14.2ish) with a dedicated charging system.
What does the voltmeter read when connected to the battery with the 12V switched on and the lights on but not charging, and in the same case but with the charger switched on?

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

With the engine off reading 12.81v...with the ehu connected showing the green light on the Zig display on but is pulsing its still 12.81v no change even with the 12v rocker switch on, no change..!
On ehu the lights are bright on 12v you can hardly see the filament lit..!

Last edited by ICDC on Mon May 22, 2017 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ehu)
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Could be that the leisure battery is only charging when the engine's running.

What's the leisure battery voltage with engine running?

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Engine running both batteries around 14.16v
Split charger seems ok..with the leisure battery at 12.7v the lights on 12v should be fine but not..!
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon May 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Have you measured the actual battery voltage with the lights on and powered solely by the battery?

It does sound as though the charger/PSU may not be working on EHU.

I think that this is the third or fourth similar thread to describe a similar problem, perhaps we should all collaborate to write a 'Sticky' that describes how the charging systems work and how to diagnose problems?

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi wave

meanchris wrote:I think that this is the third or fourth similar thread to describe a similar problem, perhaps we should all collaborate to write a 'Sticky' that describes how the charging systems work and how to diagnose problems?
Some time ago when I did a refurbishment job on my Zig X7 I recorded quite a lot of information. I am in the process of producing a sort of “manual that never was”. When it was complete I was going to ask forum members to comment and perhaps suggest improvements. Not necessarily to be published on the forum (although I’d be quite happy for that to happen) but certainly  to be published somewhere public.

I’m quite loath to release it yet because it’s far from complete but so that we don’t duplicate the work I have put part of it here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B68rSYSOvb_iUVhOdGpPWGF1V2M

In the diagrams the red arrows indicate current flow and there is a brief description at the bottom.

I was going to add a description of how it works and a fault finding flow chart along with some performance figures (measured).
The idea was to lay it out in sections with section 1 being for everyone and gradually increasing in technical detail so that people could read a little or as much as they liked depending on their technical skills. Comments / contributions welcome.

I mention it in this thread purely because of Chris’s suggestion but I’ll bring it up in a separate thread when the time’s right.

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm

That looks like a very useful start Brod, mucho kudos. up!

What could be added might be a tabular description of the various operating modes, separate from the diagrams to allow the faint of heart to interpret a purely text description.

There are presumably also differences between the various PSU/Charger/Control unit installations, which could be added.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm

A big thank you to you all... The Fox is now reading 13.7 the green battery light is green..the multimeter reading on the leisure battery is now at 13.6.. the 12v lights when the rocker switch is switched on are bright.. the fault lay in the engine compartment the 20amp fuse had blown..this was replaced and everything is spot on..Zig charging leisure battery..lights brilliant..I was about to give up..Thanks again to you all..need a bit of Grants to come down to earth..doesn't it just stress you out..but sorted to a very helpful group..ta
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum