Clubman GL Smashed Window

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman GL Smashed Window

Post by Jif on Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Folks,

This my first post following my introduction post, unfortunate that it is on a negative rather than a positive but that's life I guess!

We bought a VW Autosleeper Clubman GL last year after we both retired and like it very much, we've done a lot of work to sort a few problems and add improvements, generally the van is in very good condition and drives well.

We were just getting ready to head off in a weeks time when a Council worker replacing pavements in our area backed his dumper truck into the van smashing one of the sliding side windows in the cabin.  shrugg

It could have been worse, the main part of his truck didn't hit the van just a high structure on the back of his dumper which went through the first layer of window. He did admit to it and we are currently going through the Councils insurance company, my fear is that it will be extremely hard to get a replacement part as the van is 20 years old. I have located a local repair company and they have contacted Autosleeper regarding getting a replacement but I haven't heard back from him yet about any developments.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear from anybody who has had to get similar work done and whether Autosleeper can supply parts such as a full window unit for a van of this age, also any suggestions would be welcome on how to deal with this if Autosleeper can't provide a replacement.

I was going to post some pictures but apparently can't do this until I have been a member for a week, so will do that next week.
Jif

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : VW Autosleeper
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman GL Smashed Window

Post by Mike187 on Sat May 20, 2017 2:03 pm

That is tough luck, you might find these people may well me able to help http://eeco-ltd.co.uk/ 
Hope you can get it sorted for your trip.

Regards Mike
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jif on Sat May 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Mike, many thanks for your reply, very helpful. The guy at the local repair company said he had a company who had made replacement windows for him in the past but was not too enamoured with their products. I suspect it's a different company to tbe one you're suggesting as they look to produce windows to a high quality.

I'll pass on this link to him to give him more options.

Thanks again.

Geoff
Jif

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

EE Co.  (Exhaust Ejector Co) have been around for years doing these plastic windows.  You can be assured of their work

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jif on Sun May 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for confirming that Roger,  sending the link to the local repair company just now. It will probably be useful for them for other repair work they get.
Jif

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jif on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi, an update on this as I have finally got this resolved.

I got a quote from EE Co which was £290 + vat inc. postage to reproduce the broken pane, I was also searching for a company who would make a complete reproduction of the complete window assembly. The rubber runners on the window were badly perished so going down the route of using the reproduced pane would require replacing all of these. Autosleeper kindly sent me an example of the replacement rubber runners they can now supply, not the original but looked like it would do the job.

However getting a fitter to do this was proving difficult, as it was an insurance job I had to get a fitter who the insurance would approve. I found a really good guy in Perth who would take it on but he wasn't too keen to rebuild the window. We looked at replacing the whole window frame with standard offerings but couldn't find a size which would fit.

I eventually found a company in Yorkshire who would make a bespoke complete window to the required sizes, this was a sliding window but used tinted re-inforced glass as opposed to perspex. I decided to go down this route but was concerned that only having this on one side would look odd and perhaps reduce the re-sell value. So I pushed the insurance company and they agreed to pay for having both side windows replaced.

The company who built the windows can be found here,

https://www.vehiclewindows.co.uk

To cut a long story short, I had the windows made at a cost of around £540 for both windows inc. postage and the fitter put them in for me a week or so ago. Very pleased with the result, they look good and are completely functional. The fitter had to cut a small section out of the wood frame to allow the slide catches to function, also there is a very small section of the wooden frame showing inside but a bit of grey carpet and glue will sort that, it's barely noticable.

This is the guy who fitted them for me,

http://motorhomeservicesscotland.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjwrO_MBRDxgqLa-LX041QSJABgmcMsHK79l9IBWFcbUWjgwlS_Olvk5pL1hILIqK78-OcSZBoCg9_w_wcB

And here are some pictures of the finished job,

So I now have 3 panes of the original windows for sale if anybody is looking for original spares, two with catches/handles and one without. I'll put these up in the for sale section when I get a chance.

Last edited by Jif on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jif

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Pleeeeease can I have one of them with the catch on. Desperate for one. Thanks. Have pmd you.
landyman

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Talisman GL
Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum