Petrol talisman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Petrol talisman

Post by Dilbert on Tue May 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi has anyone on here got a petrol van. What's the fuel consumption like? Do they suffer the gearbox problems as the diesel ones seem to? Mines only done 39000 and runs well. I reckon if take it easy she will last a while ( hopefully)
Dilbert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Southampton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Petrol talisman

Post by samleeds on Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

Petrol engines seem to good when run well below max loading figures but drink petrol when loaded. Diesels seem to cope better. My 2 l petrol goes between 22 to 32 mpg depending on my load, not my speed. Over 60 mph they drink petrol but at 55mph I get great figures. Its a difficult question because in mine, I can go from 22mpg to 34mpg, depending on load, speed and roads.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 am

Plenty of petrol Boxers on here, majority of Symphonys are petrol. I had one, a 97, fuel consumption was around 23mpg regardless of motorway or country roads.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 am

Regarding your gearbox If you haven't had it long change the gearbox oil

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 am

I keep a log on all journeys and over the last 6 months im getting an average of 23.6 mile to the gallon and thats with the bike and a full load. So Roli is pretty much right. Driving like miss Daisy will get you maybe 28mpg, but for 4 miles extra per gallon, its hardly worth it. Petrol conscious drivers should not buy a 2 l petrol if they want value.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

samleeds wrote:I keep a log on all journeys and over the last 6 months im getting an average of 23.6 mile to the gallon and thats with the bike and a full load. So Roli is pretty much right. Driving like miss Daisy will get you maybe 28mpg, but for 4 miles extra per gallon, its hardly worth it. Petrol conscious drivers should not buy a 2 l petrol if they want value.
Dilbert has a 2ltr Boxer, you have a 2ltr VW - we are constantly reminded that VWs are superior in every way to Peugeots so the figures you attain are not that relevant to the OP.
Roli never mentioned petrol consumption, that was Paul.

I get 18 or so around town and around 25 on a run, but mine is not a coachbuilt.
From what I have deduced, later 2ltr Boxers are more economical at the expense of top end performance.
My logged average over the last 18 months has been 19.28 but I haven't done any long runs for a couple of years.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dilbert on Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks everybody I'm plodding on , et the moment sat in Santa pola nr. Alicante 284 litres used! Via Calais Rouen Bordeaux pau Zaragoza . Van running loverly 30+ degrees Es scorchio! German guy parked next door to me said he's never seen a auto sleeper before ! Ref. The gearbox problems after digging out the service history folder I found out the box was rebuilt in 2015 by a firm at whaddon near Salisbury at the cost of £900 . Anyway it's a good job I'm an ex. Truckdriver so I'm used to cruising along at 60 mph and being overtaken by loaded 40 tonnes wagons. Few days here and fly? Back up the other side of Spain/ France to Calais and Southampton by 2nd June .
Dilbert

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dilbert on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Back in the UK safe and sound. Fuel consumption a bit hard to work out because as the odometer clicked over to 40000 it went and had a fit and showed 04000 and there it stayed! Speedo OK though weird. That and the dash shows an intermittent red picture of an injector every now and again no mention of the light in the manual so lm stumped what that means but I'll put some injector cleaner in the tank and see what happens
Dilbert

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum