Fuel tank leak

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fuel tank leak

Post by phil the fish on Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi guys have had a smell of Diesel (unburnt ) for some time, and found an oily stain on my parking area.I got under the van and found the fuel tank weeping around the seam of the tank . I found a tank on line in Germany for 120 euros with free delivery! but charged 36 euros for bulky delivery! confused3 i must say that I live in France  (Brittany) and think this is a good deal. Has anyone had the same problem with a tank  in the UK? Cheers Phil
phil the fish

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Exclusive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fuel tank leak

Post by daisy mae on Fri May 05, 2017 9:17 pm

I had the same problem on a Marina  Estate car years ago, I had just bought it and drove straight to the garage to fill up with the fuel, after a few minutes fuel was gushing out all over the forecourt, I felt a right idiot I can tell you.  I had to drive it away from the pump for assistants to drain a lot that was left in the tank, and then they had to clean it up from the forecourt,, I tool it back to the seller, luckily I knew him,"  oh he said,  it has a split further up  the top of the tank and I never fill it right up." Luckily he gave me my money back, as I was on my own at the time and hadn`t any extra money to pay out for repairs straight  away the day that I had bought the car, he said he would keep it and do the repair.

So probably a new tank is the easiest and best option. Hope you get it sorted, it cost me a full tank of fuel , oh well part of lifes experiences.

Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat May 06, 2017 9:41 pm

On a Boeing 737-200 if that is any help, engineers couldn't fix it without massive reconstruction of the wing and the Boeing people ended up putting some sort of balloon inside which when inflated adhered to the skin of the tank and stopped the leak, not sure they do one to fit a motorhome though! scratch head
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst on Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Phil the fish,

Sorry for the late contribution. Assuming your van is Boxer-based, I had a similar experience after my Boxer petrol -> Diesel conversion. The fuel leak appeared as if it was coming from the seam around the tank, however the leak was actually coming from the rubber seal around the fuel pump/gauge sender unit in the top of the tank. I did a temporary repair by wrapping PTFE tape around the existing seal and reassembling - it has worked fine for 6 years - but I also now carry a spare seal with me just in case it starts leaking again. It was only a problem when the tank was filled to the brim: once the fill pipe's qty of fuel was consumed the drip rate slowed significantly.

Access to the pump/sender unit is achieved by removing the passenger seat and base, removing the plastic step liner, then pulling back the AS carpet from the van floor. This reveals a cover which, when removed, allows access to the numerous bolts holding the pump/sender to the tank. Fuel lines and electrical connections need to be undone, thereafter it's straightforward.

Hope this helps.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Boxer Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst on Thu May 25, 2017 8:03 pm

The pump sat in the tank, with the seal in question between the two:

Bartfarst

Male