Spare wheel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spare wheel

Post by ICDC on Fri May 05, 2017 5:55 pm

On our 1997 Transit Legend the spare wheel sits under the rear end, it is lifted by inserting a long winding handle through the boot. That much I know, the thing is the previous owner took the spare off and I've not a clue how to go about putting the spare back. I have the long handle, the spare wheel and two plastic wing nuts. I hope someone has taken one off and can give me some tips like which side of the spare goes upward, outside of rim or the inside, really need this back before our maiden voyage. Thanks J.
ICDC

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Transit Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spare wheel

Post by Gromit on Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm

If nobody on here can help, I'd suggest you drop into your local FastFit depot clutching a bottle of wine or a big box of choccy biscuits.

That may well be sufficient inducement for them to explain the process to you, and if you offer them coin of the realm they would probably do it for you and show you how it's done.

I couldn't get the spare wheel off our van, it's just too heavy and unwieldy in the very restricted space under the van. That's why we pay breakdown insurance.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Fri May 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi If its similar to a similar age Symphony.its a pain getting it back. Little room and the spare is very heavy.I have done this on my drive.
However if you got a tyre problem i would leave it to a Breakdown firm.
Get help and put it up outside face first. Plastic wing nuts i have no idea.

regards

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sat May 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Well Micky just spent a half hour trying to get the contraption on the end of the wire to go through the wheel stud holes. This was with the outside face up first, the two threaded studs that are attached to the contraption on the end of the wire would not go through the two wheel stud holes, they didn't line up. My 70 year old pensioner wife crawled underneath and informed me it would never line up as the spare was the wrong way up. So I pulled the spare out, turned it over and she then put the contraption into the spare wheel centre, she then pulled the threaded studs through the two holes, attached the two plastic wing nuts. I then wound the cable up, spare in place, sorted job done. I know my 5' nothing, 70 year old wife is a know all, but as one of the big Supermarkets says " Every little bit helps " I couldn't agree more
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat May 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Well done (more so your wife than you!).

Please don't take this as scaremongering, but one thing you might want to do a visual check on (or ask your wife to do a visual check on): The spare wheel lifters on that age of Transit are a little prone to rusting, as Ford did not typically make much of an effort to rustproof them, it seems. So it would be worth just looking to see that it's reasonably rust-free, or you may find it parts company with the van at an inconvenient time (though offhand I can't think of a convenient time for that to happen, really).
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sat May 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks for that, I did have a look at it and just surface rust and the cable looks good. It does look like it's been maintained and the hook mechanism is very free and greasy. Now I know how to remove and replace it, me and my little helper will be able to keep it greased and keep everything freely moving !
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat May 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Sounds good - IIRC the part to look at carefully is the frame that holds the cable lifter and socket onto the van - it's the spot welds that hold it to the chassis that have been known to give way, so the whole thing just drops off the van - along with the spare, of course...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sat May 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Ok..I'll check it out thanks..
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ICDC on Sat May 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Wouldn't you think a simple thing like informing you, when refitting your spare wheel, you must fit your spare wheel this way up and say which way round it goes, before you try to raise it up..only two ways to do this..bet you pick the wrong one..as I did..you live an learn !
ICDC

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 am

ICDC wrote:Wouldn't you think a simple thing like informing you, when refitting your spare wheel, you must fit your spare wheel this way up and say which way round it goes, before you try to raise it up..only two ways to do this..bet you pick the wrong one..as I did..you live an learn !
Not really - they assume you took it off in the first place! lol4

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum