Leisure battery problem 2001 executive

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leisure battery problem 2001 executive

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:13 am

Hi there we are currently on site with ehu and have been here since friday. We have now no lights or pump - presumably powered by the leisure battery. We did plug in 24 hours before leaving home and i thought the leisure battery charged whilst we were plugged in on site. However gradually yesterday the lights started to dim. The panel says 'charging' and is lit up green but the other two red and green lights are not lit up al all. Is there anything else we can check or will the battery just not charge now? We can manage as we only have one more night but it would be good to know if we are missing anything obvious. Thank you.
Topdollar

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leisure battery problem 2001 executive

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:20 am

Sounds like you have either not got the orange zig unit switched on and have been surviving on battery alone or maybe the fuses have blown in the unit itself. Check also the circuit breakers as having a low battery but on ehu shouldnt give any faults. Check also the circuit breaker on the ehu post, it might have blown. Bottom line is that if you are on ehu, the battery condition is out of the loop anyway as all the power should be coming from the hook up via the zig unit to the system and charging the battery at the same time.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 am

Hi there - i dont have an orange zig unit switch.
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 am

We are in a peugot boxer - if anyone has the same model thanks
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 am

You will have a load of spam emails though if you don't change your username! shrugg

Not a good idea to reveal your email address in plain text on a public forum. I don't have access to your personal details or I would do it for you.

Welcome to the forum BTW. Someone will soon be able to advise I expect. In the meantime it would help if you gave as much information as possible about your van and its electrical equipment.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 am

Yes thanks dave I have already contacted admin - i think it went in as an autocorrect when i was setting up the account
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am

As I am new I dont know what information to give or what is required we have only have the van since last year and never had any problems at all.

I know its not the curcuit breaker etc as we have power to the mains sockets.
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 am

It is possible that it is charging but conditions dictate the length of time it takes.
If you don't have a multimeter see if any one around had one and check the voltage across the leisure battery terminals. Anything over 12.5 v may indicate it's charging anything below and I would think there is something amiss

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Sam
Welcome to the forum from breezy sunny Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 am

It sounds as if the charging unit it turned OFF or a fuse has blown. If you have power on hook up then you should have power to the charger and this would give you a 12v supply. The leisure battery is now flat.
Check the circuit breaker is turned ON .
check the charger is turned ON. 
Check all fuses are ok.

Alf
Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks guys.  I have had a thought - we have had the fan running for the heating most of the time.  I think this maybe 12v but not sure (if anyone with the same model can confirm that would be great as i dont fully understand the electics diagram in the manual) so as you say Roli that combined with the condition of the battery maybe the problem. The battery is only 18minths old though. Gonna have get the guy out when we get home probably just wanted to check anything obvious.

Hi Alf 
All fuses checked.  
All circuits on and the charger doesnt have a switch as far as I can see just a green indicator light.
Thank you
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

Alf wrote:It sounds as if the charging unit it turned OFF or a fuse has blown. If you have power on hook up then you should have power to the charger and this would give you a 12v supply. The leisure battery is now flat.
Check the circuit breaker is turned ON .
check the charger is turned ON. 
Check all fuses are ok.

Alf
Alf I said the same but I dont think he knows what a zig unit is.........Have a look at where the incoming ehu is...trace the wires from inside the van and you will arrive at a box which has switches and circuit breakers on it. The circuit breakers govern the incoming 240v and they control electric to the vans 240v units. The other box or unit to look out for is the charger box which transfers 240v down to 13.4v and charges the battery. These boxes usually have a big lit switch, in my case orange but it can be red or even green, but in all cases it must be lit to show the battery is being charged. check the bullet fuses in that box and you will find a fault.

If you are on hook up then a multimeter over the leisure battery terminals will, or should show 13.4v or more as this is the charging voltage. If you are less than 12v, your zig charging unit isnt working or the incoming 240v isnt getting to the zig unit. The last thing to do is unplug the incoming cable to the van and check across the terminals to see you are getting 240v. 

It sounds like a difficult issue but believe me, its either the incoming 240v or the zig units circuit breakers or chargers at fault. it cant be the battery as thats out of the loop on hook up and it cant be the 12v systems fault as its out of the loop on ehu

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 am

sam.horrocks@hotmail.co.u wrote:Thanks guys.  I have had a thought - we have had the fan running for the heating most of the time.  I think this maybe 12v but not sure (if anyone with the same model can confirm that would be great as i dont fully understand the electics diagram in the manual) so as you say Roli that combined with the condition of the battery maybe the problem. The battery is only 18minths old though. Gonna have get the guy out when we get home probably just wanted to check anything obvious.

Hi Alf 
All fuses checked.  
All circuits on and the charger doesnt have a switch as far as I can see just a green indicator light.
Thank you
Ive never seen a zig unit charger without an isolator switch. Its the only way to turn of the batteries charger. As I said in my post above, check the voltage across the battery's terminals and that will tell you if the zig is working or not. If the green light is on, sounds like you are using more electricity than the charger can keep up with. If you are using a fan and all the vans available power you are probably using over 8 amps per hour. The older zigs charge rate can be as low as 2 amps per hour so you are effectively dropping the battery at 6 amps over incoming which will flatten a battery quite quickly over 2 days.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am

Hi wave

samleeds wrote:Alf I said the same but I dont think he knows what a zig unit is.

A 2001 van may not have a Zig unit. It’s around the time AS changed from Zig to other makes (e.g.Bonus Systems).

It make no difference though, the power supply should be supplying the current not the leisure battery so what samleeds and other have said is still valid.

Brod
brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 am

You may have a separate Zig charger/power supply under the seats somewhere, as well as the Zig control panel with the green light on.

On our old van the Zig ch/PSU was under the driver's side bench seat and accessed via a circular cutout in the seat base front.
If you can see a disc about 3" in diameter on the seat base around where the socket for the front table is, the Zig PSU is behind it.

There should/will be a separate mains ON switch on the front of the charger/PSU unit.
My guess is that it's currently switched OFF.

EDIT: Brod may be correct that it's not a Zig PSU but, nevertheless, there are not many places to hide the charger/PSU in an Exec, you need to find it.

Last edited by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:02 am

Ok I will have anothet look thank you
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 am

Just another thought, if you can't find the problem, in your position I'd resort to running the engine to at least give the battery a chance at survival. It's not good to totally discharge it then leave it standing for any length of time.
Even ten minutes of engine, distributed a few times over the day to avoid annoying everyone, will help.

TIP: Carry a cheap battery charger stashed away in case of this kind of emergency, we do.

EDIT: If you want to run your engine, go to your nearest neighbours and explain the situation, they should be sympathetic, or even lend you a battery charger. up!
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Stuart can you describe the control panel or post a photo.

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Stuart you say you have the manual does this not tell you where the charging unit is.

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:49 pm

On your control panel is there 3 fuses if so have you checked them. On the control panel is the first switch a 3 position one if it is in the centre OFF position Nothing will work.

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:32 pm

My name is Sam and I am female.  My husband is here and we do have some understanding of what we are doing.  I do know what a zig unit is.

Alf - I cant see how to add a photo as I am working on my phone and it is very small however the same unit is shown in this thread here http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t13681-zig-x-7

Meanchris - thank you, yes we have run rhe engine for 10 mins and also turned off the heater fan.  We appear to be getting charge sonhave now plugged back in and come out for the day. I think a battery charger is a great idea.

Thanks for all your help.
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

The picture in that thread is of the control panel, not the charger itself.

The charger/PSU will be hidden away under one of the bench seats or maybe under the kitchen units somewhere.

As described in that other thread, it will have its own rocker type power switch which should also have a neon indicator that lights when it's switched ON. If it's OFF the leisure battery will not be being charged except when the engine is running.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdollar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Meanchris we just cant find anything that resembles it at all - help from someone with the same vehilce would be useful.
Topdollar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I've had two Execs.

The older 1995 vehicle had the charger/PSU where I described, under the offside bench seat, accessible behind a circular wooden porthole cover near the heating outlet.
Have you looked for any kind of access covers in the bench seat front?

The newer 2005 one has a completely different system with the charger integrated into the EHU unit in the wardrobe.

As your vehicle, (presumably?) has the older style Zig control panel described in the link to another thread that you posted, it must have the accompanying charger somewhere.

EDIT: Does your van look like this one on ebay, with drawers in the bench seats?
If so, all I can suggest is that ours had a false drawer front on the one behind the driver's seat, with the access panel to the charger behind it.
Maybe yours is different, with a real drawer there? Or maybe you have to take out one of the drawers to find it?
Someone here must have a van of that era?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosleeper-Executive-Coach-Built-Motorhome-Campervan-Turbo-Diesel-2001-Model-/142366555936?hash=item2125b53f20:g:oyIAAOSwt0FZBMEB

Last edited by meanchris on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Look in the bottom of all floor units is there a hole in any if so it will be a finger pull to remove the floor Auto Sleeper can vary even o. The same models have you looked under the cab seats.

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum