The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs

+3
burlingtonboaby
Paramedic
louisecat123
7 posters

Go down

Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs Empty Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs

Post by louisecat123 Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:38 am

Hi everyone, 
At the end of this year I'm hoping to purchase an autosleeper possibly a Symphony or Duetto
Any advice welcome as I'm a total newbie novice
I'm in Staffordshire, Burton upon Trent
Hope to pick your brains and learn a few things :)
THANKYOU
louisecat123
louisecat123

Female

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs Empty Re: Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs

Post by Paramedic Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:21 am

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Current owners and experts will gladly offer all the help you need to buy your ideal van. asof_welcome2

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs Empty Re: Wannabe Autosleeper Owner in Staffs

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

asof_welcome2
From Newark Showground
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 am

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks. drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon May 01, 2017 10:15 am

Hi there and a big welcome to the forum from Filey allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue May 02, 2017 8:55 am

louisecat123 wrote:Hi everyone, 
At the end of this year I'm hoping to purchase an autosleeper possibly a Symphony or Duetto
THANKYOU
Hi welcome to the forum.
I did this exercise in 2011 to 2012  for the same models.
You need to check a few.Start by looking on the trade sites. When you see one that is near,go have a look.Ask questions.You have to decide what is the best for what you want to pay.
I spent many wasted trips to look at problems. You may find the best ones are the furthest away!!
Beware of very cheap ones,they may be a scam.
They are good well made vans. Most problems have been identified on this forum.
Rust is what you want to avoid and it's difficult to find in pictures.
I found Duetto,s were rusty. Symphony's have a weak gearbox. So you need to look and drive before buying.
It may take a time to find a good one.
Some come up on this site.So keep looking.
regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 pm

louisecat123 wrote:Hi everyone, 
THANKYOU
Hi and welcome to ASOF

As the owner of two Duetto’s (not at the same time) I may be able to give you advice on the Duetto.

The original Duetto came out in 1994 based on the Ford Transit Long Wheel Base. In 2000 they became available only on the Short Wheel Base and poorer specifications.

Both of my Duetto’s have/ are 1999 models when the specification was at its best and still on the LWB. They are available in 2.5l diesel and turbo charged 2.5l diesel in manual and automatic gearbox. It was also available in a 2l petrol but are difficult to find. Whilst the turbo-charged engine gives that extra pull away and acceleration, care is needed when buying an old model since the turbo has a certain life and is expensive to replace. My first Duetto from new was a turbo-charged and my second a standard non turbo. Provided you are prepared to stay in touring mode I find the non-turbo adequate.

The main problem to look for is body rot especially at the bottom of the doors.

The LWB Duetto is a good size and can still be maneuvered easily in country lanes and parked in towns. We love the double bed arrangement since it makes up into a comfortable approx 6ftx6ft.

Having only recently purchased a Duetto I feel you should be able to find one for under £14,000. I found ours for £13,000 and only 53, 000 miles with lots of extras and no rust (the rear wheel arches having previously been replaced). I have seen them at £8000 but you get what you pay for.

They are advertised widely but if you sign up for the NEWSNOW site you get alerted to Duettos coming on the market from a wide range of sellers (business and private). Mine was on Gumtree but the alert came through NEWSNOW. I would have your finance ready because they go quickly and cash is a powerful haggling tool. Do have a HPI check done.

Autosleeper are an excellent company, very helpful and still have spares for the Duetto.

Search online for an article from Which Motorhome magazine which I found very useful. Search “Autosleeper Duetto Review” and look for an article headed “Autosleeper Duetto” and from https://orbit.brightbox.com

Also look for an article from Practical Motorhome
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/32077-used-van-buyer-auto-sleeper-duetto-1994-2000

I hope you find this useful and If I can be of any further help contact me through ASOF

Best wishes Little Al.
A.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down