can swivel seats be fitted to a vw clubman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

can swivel seats be fitted to a vw clubman

Post by samleeds on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am

My VW Clubman has one of these configurations where the arm rest lifts up and is placed forward onto a lip created by the seats being pushed full forward to achieve a single bed scenario. I cant see that changing the seats to swivel would work. It would be great if they did, but its hard to see where the clearance for the legs would come into play. Has anyone got a picture of the swivel seat configuration on the clubman extended sofa/bed set up so i can get a peek

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: can swivel seats be fitted to a vw clubman

Post by Alf on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 am

Sam why do you need to fit swivel seats these are normally used to turn the seat 180deg to use a table in the rear as you have two sideways facing settee you can't achieve this at best you may get the passenger seat to face the drivers seat. The drivers seat will have the steering wheel in the way so you would not get much of a swivel with that one.

Is the van not up for sale ?

Alf
Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

Alf

It is my project to get all angles covered with this van. I want to sell her in tip top condition with every known help or aid taken care of and I have a mate with 2 swivel captains chairs that I can get with bases. It was a research question as opposed to a factually necessary one. I am ell aware of the competition to sell these units and every little bit helps, especially if it costs so little. She is getting a £400 face lift next week, so she looks the bis as well as acts it. I dont sell faults. Everything will be 100% fixed, full mot and gleaming before she leaves my garage.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am

Sam,  I get where you are going with making your van an object of beauty.  I looked at fitting swivel seats in my Clubman when I first had her because I prefer to sit in the cab seats as opposed to the bench seat at times but decided against them.  As you are aware a full swivel is simply not possible because of the layout, which leaves you with a half turn, the problem with that is the length of the seat squab reduces the walk through gap considerably and leaves very little room to comfortably move your legs. To make the beds single or as we use ours, an extended double to sleep lengthways, you would have to return the seats to the front anyway.  It's one of those things that looks really good and works on the modern vans but doesn't really work on the comparatively narrow bodied T4. Each to their own and go for it if you like the idea but imvho its a modification that doesn't improve the van. Having said that if the seats have armrests I would buy them and fit them on the standard bases, because I would really like armrests !

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Ah the old armrest scenario, I am going to buy them and only for the armrests, lol. 2 captains chairs for the long haul is great as we can both then fall asleep together at the wheel, lol.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Have got the armrests. allthumbz, have also got both seats swivelling ,
But can't honestly say how they work. scratch head . Imho....they don't.  shrugg Never used them, as once turned 90 degrees, you can't really sit in them, unless youv'e got shortish legs, as leg space is constrained. Unless of course, someone out there knows what I'm doing wrong....Whistle1 wouldn't be the first time.  hugegrins snigger
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm

I put swivel captain seats in  mine a couple or so  years ago, not comfortable at all, no room to put legs / feet, even though I have short legs, hugegrins so took the swivel out put the captain seats back in  as I love the arm rests on a long journey.

Hope this is of some help, one mod in my case a no no.I  live and learn.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum