The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale TT taps

3 posters

Go down

Whale TT taps  Empty Whale TT taps

Post by Gyp C Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 am

Both the kitchen and bathroom taps have developed a slight leak (tear drop) around swivel area of the tap.I have replaced the internal cartridge on both taps but still have the leak.I contacted Whale customer care re drawing for tap internals but they said they do not have any.I would imagine there is some sort of "O" ring in the body of the tap.
Does any one out there in ASOF land know if the tap can be stripped out and repaired ?.
Gyp C
Gyp C

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo LP EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Whale TT taps  Empty Re: Whale TT taps

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:14 pm

I had the same problem.  If your Whale tap is the same as mine then you unscrew the long handle on the mixer.  Inside there is a securing screw with a tamperproof splined head. Th eright screwdrivers are available from Amazon.  Unscrew that and the head lifts off to expose a brass nut that looks as if it has been peened over. It has not.  It is a bit difficult to remove but ten you can remove the cartridge don't lose the little very od shaped seal underneath the cartridge - you have already been there, I think.  To remove the tap outlet swivel simply waggle and lift.  There is an o-ring but it is more like a nylon collar.  There was a small amount of scale which I cleaned off carefully and, hey presto, no little dribble.

Hope that helps

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi Gyp
I don't know which tap is fitted to the Nuevo but "swivel" and "cartridge" suggest it's a standard mixer. If the leak is from the bottom of the tap it is almost certainly one of the two rings on the lower body. The bad news is that to replace these rings the tap has to be removed and the feed pipes disconnected because the rings come off and on from below. To access the rubber (neoprene?) rings the narrow s.s. ring at the bottom, below the swivel screws off.
I could send you a couple of photos which would make this clear, but they would have to be via e'mail.  Send me a PM with your e'mail address if you would like them.
Keith

I have just received a note to tell me that inspiredon has also replied.  He is obviously describing a different tap !!  You will now have to work out which is the duff info.   Probably mine !
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:25 pm

It could be that a collar above the swivel spout screws off rather than waggles - I was working from memory.  It was obvious which. I do recall that once I had unscrewed the brass nut the bit belowwith the curved top unscrewed, the brass nut being a locknut.
I would have liked to turn ther whole base through 180 degrees because the water has to go right round the inner collar to reach the spout from the cartridge output but that was too difficult.  I did not have a suitable spanner to indio the nut that holds the base to the working surface.

Yes, it may well be a different tap!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi again Gyp.  Photos sent. The first is there for you to identify the tap to which I am referring.
Trust this is of assistance. Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down