The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can the Nuevo take this punishment?

+14
daisy mae
Askit
rogersrimini
groundhog
Dave 418
logburner
bikeralw
willy eckerslike
Gromit
oldfred
dbroada
Peter Brown
Cymro
kaspian
18 posters

Go down

can the Nuevo take this punishment? Empty can the Nuevo take this punishment?

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 am

Just visited an Autosleeper dealer outside Perth today only to witness a worker walking up and down the roof of what appeared to be a Nuevo using a pressure washer set on high to clean the roof possibly before sale . Storing up problems for the future or can it take it? Not something I would recommend personally although I once witnessed a salesman tapdance along the roof of a Hobby caravan to demonstrate how strongly they were built.Just glad its not my van.....
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

can the Nuevo take this punishment? Empty Re: can the Nuevo take this punishment?

Post by Cymro Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 am

I did exactly that many times on the roof of my Clubman: up the ladder; walk around with power hose to blast off the accumulated muck; then polish and wax. The Clubman was built like a tank - in both senses: tough as a Sherman tank, and built as a monocoque GRP oil tank so no seams to leak. Never a problem in 17 years.

However, my Nuevo is different. I do get on the roof 2 or 3 times a year. But as there's no rail (other than the awning on one side) and as the grp is slippery, I don't stand up. I'd be happier if I had a safety harness. Anyway, I don't power hose it, but I gently wash the roof (getting very wet as I'm sitting there!) and sluice off the residue; then on with the Colinite and a quick wipe. Job done.  The roof creaks and flexes a bit. I try not to put pressure near the roofligts or seams.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

can the Nuevo take this punishment? Empty Re: can the Nuevo take this punishment?

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Cymro wrote:
However, my Nuevo is different. I do get on the roof 2 or 3 times a year. But as there's no rail (other than the awning on one side) and as the grp is slippery, I don't stand up. I'd be happier if I had a safety harness. Anyway, I don't power hose it, but I gently wash the roof (getting very wet as I'm sitting there!) and sluice off the residue; then on with the Colinite and a quick wipe. Job done.  The roof creaks and flexes a bit. I try not to put pressure near the roofligts or seams.

Above is very good advice

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

I could loan you the harness but you must be keen and I take my hat off to you! The roof  of my van conversion flexes if you lean on it. I use an a frame ladder and work from that with an extending water fed brush , then use a series of home made poles with foam pads attached  to wax the roof. A colleague at work once carefully crawled onto the roof of his caravan to replace the roof vent only to disappear as the roof gave way....

Last edited by kaspian on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dislekzia)
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 pm

To reach the front of the Luton, I use a step-ladder (with verticals protected with pipe insulation foam as suggsted on the Forum - I think by Peter Brown). The foot of the ladder is secured by two locking struts, facing inwards and at 45 degrees to the ladder - bought in 1970s after they were featured in Design Council. Tried tracing the maker recently but no luck.
I only go on the roof when Mrs Cymraes is away ... though maybe I'd be better off of she were around to pick up the pieces!
But coming back to the topic, I think the Nuevo roof is adequately sturdy, but I'd never use a power hose on it (or elsewhere on a non-monocoque van). It's my own sturdiness I worry about!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I was going to say I'd love to have a level area to park on so that I could get up a ladder and clean the roof. However I realise I get dizzy standing up from a chair so I wouldn't go up a ladder anyway. I still don't like parking on our slope though.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:22 pm

I suppose it also matters as to how many pies one has  indulged in before launching oneself onto the fragile roof of the van! Personally for safety (and after many pies )  I'd rather work from the ladder or platform.hugegrins Neighbours still get enjoyment from seeing me out In the rain washing the roof of the van as we all know its the best time to do it when the winter crud accumulated is  softened making it easier to remove.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm

With a small ladder the easiest way to the roof on the Nuevo is through the large roof light.
Make sure no one moves the ladder while you are out on top smile!
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

kaspian wrote:Neighbours still get enjoyment from seeing me out In the rain washing the roof of the van as we all know its the best time to do it when the winter crud accumulated is  softened making it easier to remove.
And since you are certain to get soaking wet anyway, it matters little whether it's coming from the hose, the heavens, or both at once!! shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:49 pm

When we collected our Devon from the dealer I noticed that the roof was filthy and asked them to clean it. Next time I looked there was a man up on the roof with a pressure washer. I did have a leak in the rooflight over the kitchen some time later, the sealer gave up the ghost but no other roof problems. I use Kaspians method for washing once a year.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:08 pm

oldfred wrote:With a small ladder the easiest way to the roof on the Nuevo is through the large roof light.
Make sure no one moves the ladder while you are out on top smile!
This is exactly how I get to clean my roof. From the top of a six rung stepladder inside the van I can clean everywhere rearward of the roof light. Forwards or the roof light (low-line van) I use an extendable hose-fed brush.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Some years ago, I had an 18'6" Hymer (1985 model) that advertised it with a helicopter landing on the roof of one ...not mine I may add, but in those days, things were built to last...hugegrins
Had no trouble walking on the roof of that one.   shrugg
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 am

lol4 This topic of washing motorhome roofs and walking on them brought back memories of a coarse I attended whilst working on buses. We had to attend a coarse about working at hights and the use of work towers. The main thing that they kept telling us is you must never work on youre own  so youre safe working practice can be observed. So if you are about to fall off you will be told, you can then take the require action. 
 By this point the whole class had started muttering about the instructors ideas. If you fall off a bus roof or motorhome for that matter is going to hurt a bit. Would the observer break youre fall. No but I suppose they could get help. 
 I didnt stand up on the roof of the Rienza to wash it and I think the only observer was the dog watching from the bedroom window. Management had gone missing as usual when I do some thing she dosnt quite approve of.  shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 am

Its all about point loads and spread loads if I recall from my airline weight and balance days, if you are worried cut a piece of board and walk/sit/stand on that and the load will be spread...I would NEVER use a pressure washer on the roof of the van or anywhere else for that matter!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 pm

RTFM? Sorry smile!

Nuevo manual section 3.1. 'Maximum load on the roof should not exceed 75Kg, whether a fixture or a person, with a max loading of 8kg per sq. foot.' So no hopping while up there.

Also carries a warning about slippery surfaces when wet or icy.

Someone helpfully used a pressure washer to clean my Talisman roof once. It took me two years of a rubbing compound designed for boats to get a shine back!!

BW
Jon
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 am

kaspian wrote:Just visited an Autosleeper dealer outside Perth today only to witness a worker walking up and down the roof of what appeared to be a Nuevo using a pressure washer set on high to clean the roof possibly before sale . Storing up problems for the future or can it take it? Not something I would recommend personally although I once witnessed a salesman tapdance along the roof of a Hobby caravan to demonstrate how strongly they were built.Just glad its not my van.....

I'm shocked at this story. It appears to relate to the dealer I purchased my Motorhome from and you're telling me that they bothered to wash a vehicle roof prior to sale  scratch headbiggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am

rogersrimini wrote:RTFM? Sorry smile!

Nuevo manual section 3.1. 'Maximum load on the roof should not exceed 75Kg, whether a fixture or a person, with a max loading of 8kg per sq. foot.' So no hopping while up there.

Someone helpfully used a pressure washer to clean my Talisman roof once. It took me two years of a rubbing compound designed for boats to get a shine back!!

BW
Jon
With a maximum loading of 8kg per square foot I think they are trying to say dont walk on the roof unless you strap 2 sheets of 8x4 ply to your feet to spread the load! hugegrins ( or a pair of very large snow shoes)
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 pm

kaspian wrote:
rogersrimini wrote:RTFM? Sorry smile!

BW
Jon
With a maximum loading of 8kg per square foot I think they are trying to say dont walk on the roof unless you strap 2 sheets of 8x4 ply to your feet to spread the load! hugegrins ( or a pair of very large snow shoes)

Well it does say SQUARE feet confused3
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Well I washed the roof of my Motorhome today, or rather most of it, I used a step ladder inside and worked through the Heki2  roof light, I cleaned as much as I could reach, front part was a struggle but I did do most of it, it was the little round  vent over the  luton I couldn`t reach it, , it is rough plastic, newer ones are smooth, so I think it is worth having that one replaced, not perfect but a big improvement, no way am I going on the roof, very difficult as my drive slopes both ways..also I don`t like ladders.I don`t bounce very well. hugegrins I used Muc-off,I  think it wants another go, as it was filthy, then a liquid polish. it was hard to get the dirt off the rough sections where you are meant to stand on .I will get it professional done as soon as. no one in my area does it as far as I can see.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 am

It's also useful to have somebody on hand if the ladder slips away. 

I once spent 10 minutes on the roof of a van with the ladder on the floor, wildly gesticulating to the neighbour opposite, who fortunately was looking out of the window. To start with, she waved back as it was such a lovely day.. after a few minutes I managed to get her to understand that I needed help and she came out to stand the ladder up for me. If I had had my mobile phone, I could have summoned Mrs M. but as she was at the back of the house shouting didn't work. (perhaps she chose not to hear??).

With hindsight, I should have lashed the ladder to something....
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 am

No problem getting up on the roof of our previous Nuevo or current Broadway... just use your nonce and stay away from the weaker areas around roof lights and overcab etc... the raised roof areas are reinforced and thicker, as well as being incredibly strong, so don't know why so many people fear going up on their roofs to clean them.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 am

logburner wrote:Some years ago, I had an 18'6" Hymer (1985 model) that advertised it with a helicopter landing on the roof of one ...not mine I may add, but in those days, things were built to last...hugegrins
Had no trouble walking on the roof of that one.   shrugg
I'm not sure my Hymer is strong enough for a helipad but from new it has roof rails and bars fitted, a 85cm auto sat dish, and Electrulux air con unit, 200watts of directional solar panel, Teleco2 Directional TV aerial aluminium checker plate areas and walkways, a kayak and a partridge in a pear tree snigger
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Good grief man! Must look like hard broom with all those bristles hugegrins
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 am

allthumbz But then my A/S Montana has nothing on the roof not even a vent so it sort of compensates:winks:
rogersrimini wrote:Good grief man! Must look like hard broom with all those bristles hugegrins
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by North Wales Etonite Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 am

I'm 49kg so happy to go up there but only with a trickling hose - yes, I get very wet sitting up there - best done on a warm day!
North Wales Etonite
North Wales Etonite

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down