campervan insurance

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

campervan insurance

Post by jes2017 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Newbie interested to understand ballpark to expect for van insurance. I know there are loads of variables, but lets start basic with van worth say 60K , UK only parked on driveway,  5k mileage pa,
jes2017

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: campervan insurance

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Try a comparison website eg Asda where you don't have to leave personal contact details so you won't be pestered by brokers phoning you.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Funnily enough the value of the van doesn't seem to make much difference to a premium. I had the same quote for a van worth 45k as I did one worth less than half that.
Claims/conviction history seems to be first thing they take into consideration, then postcode, where the van is kept and annual mileage.
If you want a ballpark figure, I have a motorhoming friend who lives in rural Lincolnshire, age 57, and when I was recently discussing insurance with her she informed me she paid a tad under £300.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 pm

£48k coach built, 66yr old (me), £245 UK & European cover, extra £54 for UK/European breakdown/recovery. Comfort Insurance.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

2002 Symbol,,9000 miles a year,,180 days at a time European cover,,72 year old driver,,£210..BUSBY65.
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

I paid £180, 5000mls/year parked on driveway, no time limit for EU travel, full NCD clean record, wife on policy. No breakdown cover, I use CSMA for UK and Red Pennant for France.

As I am 70(soon) I have used Saga for years, no problems. South Coast/Hants.

Just need to ask there best deal each year and usually get a bit off.

Richard
rgermain

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

rgermain wrote:I paid £180, 5000mls/year parked on driveway, no time limit for EU travel, full NCD clean record, wife on policy. No breakdown cover, I use CSMA for UK and Red Pennant for France.

As I am 70(soon) I have used Saga for years, no problems. South Coast/Hants.

Just need to ask their best deal each year and usually get a bit off.

Richard
rgermain

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:36 pm

jes2017 wrote:Newbie interested to understand ballpark to expect for van insurance. I know there are loads of variables, but lets start basic with van worth say 60K , UK only parked on driveway,  5k mileage pa,
There is no figure ballpark or any other sort. Brokers are rarely more expensive than going direct to the company they are selling and they have a good percentage of commission to give you a chunk of. They also push the ones that give them the most profit first.
I was quoted £475 renewal so I phoned then to complain and they knocked £10 off to £465 ["can't possibly do it any less]. A couple of days later I rang again to tell them I had a like for like quote at £397 ["sorry you've had our lowest possible quote"]. So I left it.  Today, with it due in two days time I decided to take it out as it had one feature that no one else matched, a brand new van if ours was written off, yes brand new, but before I could ring them they rang me. "get it down to £400 and I'll have it" I said.  But again "sorry it's the best we can do" was the reply. So told them that I was sorry to leave them but my credit card was going back into my wallet. Wait a minute they said and promptly quoted £420 so I took it. But the moral of the story is that I was repeatedly lied to, a broker should recommend the best price when asked but they don't, they quote what they want to charge you. And, when I was first ringing around [with my MMM in hand] every broker reduced their quote when I rang back !
Oh, and as for the mileage, I always ask how they know the distance travelled on their policy.  When my son goes to a motoGP he puts the van on his own insurance and can put 3000 miles on the computer. The answer is they can't.

Last edited by Machloop on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

camper

Machloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Machloop wrote:

Today, with it due in two days time I decided to take it out as it had one feature that no one else matched, a brand new van if ours was written off, yes brand new
If I had that policy I'd be parked up at the top of Beachy Head with a dodgy handbrake....
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 am

bikeralw wrote:If I had that policy I'd be parked up at the top of Beachy Head with a dodgy handbrake....
Only available on new vans for the first two years and the valuation has to be that of a new van now. 

camper

Machloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:27 am

55 years old (next week) 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham, £55k (approx) inc extras, 8000 miles a year, inc UK & European breakdown recovery £311.

Don't know if it raises the premium, but I made a windscreen claim in 2015 ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

I had a new windscreen fitted after an over-enthusiastic French boules player cracked mine in the south of France! There was no effect on my premium, just £70 windscreen excess to pay.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 pm

jes2017 wrote:Newbie interested to understand ballpark to expect for van insurance. I know there are loads of variables, but lets start basic with van worth say 60K , UK only parked on driveway,  5k mileage pa,
You need to decide on body type....eg, PVC (panel van conversion), CB (coach built), or A class being the three most common. Manufacturer, engine size and year built, (adverts on AutoTrader will give you some ideas for a 'spec') then run it through comparison sites as Paul suggests (2nd post down). Only thing i'd add to Paul's suggestion is set up a hotmail address just for that as you will get renewal quotes pouring in every year after which you don't want on a primary email account!
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm

...2007 AS Trooper (van conversion), value £26k, self only to drive, limited to 6k a year, driveway parked - £136 through the Caravan Club (sorry, I still call it that).

I think it's age rather than value that determines a premium....I'm not a boy racer any more (alas).
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE campervan insurance

Post by tallslimdave on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:13 am

good morning,we pay £259 on 2006 Duetto ,5000 miles Europe cover etc BUT if a total loss 'the maximum paid is market value at the time of loss' so bound to loose out if that happens! Where do you find market value ?parkers or other trade info? Does any one have agreed value policy,has any one experience of total loss payouts?interesting thank you ,        Dave h.          Ccc policy via ers
tallslimdave

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 am

Slightly off topic but my car insurance is with Allianz and their site has sliders for you to tailor your policy. The one that surprised me the most was how little difference to the price you pay happens when you increase your voluntary excess. On their scheme it makes no sense to have any voluntary excess.

I think limiting your mileage, up to a point, made little difference too. I wonder how mileage affects motor home cover. If you are doing high mileage you are out using it and more likely to have an accident. If it is low mileage it is probably parked on your drive and more likely to be stolen.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Same as Direct Line, no premium difference between £0 and £500 Voluntary Excess.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Just renewed my insurance at £437 with caravan & motorhome club, some other quotes were more. The motorhome is on my premises behind a six foot fence and the gates cannot be opened from outside. It has a van bitz alarm, reversing camera etc etc.

This jumped up in price after I made a claim in November 2014 for a damaged awning when in Greece. The cost was less than £700 to replace, paid my excess £200 and seems they have now recovered what it cost them by increased premium. This claim will sit with me for 5 years.

Therefore, think carefully before you make a claim for something that is not too costly to replace, as your chosen insurance company will penalise you big time.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

allianz

Post by jes2017 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm

dbroada wrote:Slightly off topic but my car insurance is with Allianz and their site has sliders for you to tailor your policy. The one that surprised me the most was how little difference to the price you pay happens when you increase your voluntary excess. On their scheme it makes no sense to have any voluntary excess.

I think limiting your mileage, up to a point, made little difference too. I wonder how mileage affects motor home cover. If you are doing high mileage you are out using it and more likely to have an accident. If it is low mileage it is probably parked on your drive and more likely to be stolen.
dbroada - do you have a url for the allianz site? I haven't found their campervan page only car insurance :(
jes2017

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:18 pm

I've had this experience Leighton, in depth in another thread. Even the insurance person I spoke to on the phone had to agree that so-called No Claims Protection was a bit of a joke, in reality it's just a paper exercise..
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Same as Direct Line, no premium difference between £0 and £500 Voluntary Excess.
I've no idea how that "works" then as everyone would automatically go for the £0 excess! It may well affect how the company handles a claim in the event of an accident though. Years ago i remember taking out a car insurance policy for a very low rate. Typically i'd jumped at the price without reading the small print but a few months later had a pretty serious accident and discovered my excess was £400!! The car was taken to a body shop who estimated the repair damage at 2/3rds the value of the car. The insurance company sent an assessor to look it over, reported back, and amazingly the company agreed to go ahead with repair. Even the body shop guy was surprised they didn't write it off. I suspect had it been zero excess it would have ended up written off!
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto LE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:32 am

jes2017 wrote:
dbroada wrote:Slightly off topic but my car insurance is with Allianz and their site has sliders for you to tailor your policy. The one that surprised me the most was how little difference to the price you pay happens when you increase your voluntary excess. On their scheme it makes no sense to have any voluntary excess.

dbroada - do you have a url for the allianz site? I haven't found their campervan page only car insurance :(
Sorry but no, I only have my car with them. You cannot get van insurance directly from them although you may find their policy offered through other sites.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jes2017 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Tx for the responses everyone. Just to update in case anyone is interested- I found an enormous range in quotes - from unable to quote for vehicles over a certain value (some 45K some 50K) - to circa 270GBP to 763GBP - also the small print is a nightmare compared to cars and smaller campers. I also found some insurers who don't give you a copy of your statement of fact at the quote stage, many insurers websites can't generate a quote you have to talk to someone by phone, and some websites don't actually seem to work well. Still wading my way through it all - nightmare!
jes2017

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Try Motorhome Facts. They are brokers for Aviva I think. They know all the autosleeper models and always answer the phone or return your calls. My Kingham cost about £360 with RAC. I'm 50 with 3 points. I limit to 6k per annum. Their number is 020 8984 5311.

melcragg

Male

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

tallslimdave wrote:good morning,we pay £259 on 2006 Duetto ,5000 miles Europe cover etc BUT if a total loss 'the maximum paid is market value at the time of loss' so bound to loose out if that happens! Where do you find market value ?parkers or other trade info? Does any one have agreed value policy,has any one experience of total loss payouts?interesting thank you ,        Dave h.          Ccc policy via ers
I have an agreed value policy, have had since I first started in MH`s  haven`t had to claim so cannot say on that side of it, if I didn`t have the agreed policy they would only pay out market value,( as there are very few vans the same model as mine I would have a job to replace, in that case the insurance company said that they would just pay out  the money.of the agreed value ) I pay £20 for the agreed value bit.

I would also like to know the market value, I think the dealers use the Glasses ? guide guessing  at that name.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top